Samsung's new M3 Cores: Super Wide, True Apple Competitors at Last?

20 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well, double the performance will put the single core performance on par and multi core performance about 20% ahead. However, it was "up to" double the performance, so only time will tell.

Multi core is questionable though. I doubt Samsung will put four M3 cores in there since that would probably draw too much power. And it's unclear how powerful the low power cores (which will probably be A53 or A55s) will be.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

45 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Multi core is questionable though. I doubt Samsung will put four M3 cores in there since that would probably draw too much power. And it's unclear how powerful the low power cores (which will probably be A53 or A55s) will be.

It's most likely still a 4+4 config which would be M3 and A55. There are many ways to handle power consumption. Even a throttled M3 core would be significantly faster than an A55 core. However it's hard to tell multi core scores as Apple's efficiency cores are twice the size of A53 and A55 isn't any bigger if I recall correctly. That and only half the cores will be M3. A55 is only 15% faster than A53 but M3 is twice as fast as A73. In addition, there's scheduling, power management and even uncore stuff that throws a wrench into guessing scores. The only reason single core scores are so obvious is that it's just one M3 core so it's straight forward to calculate although I suspect we won't see it actually running at 2.9 GHz in an S9 so absolute performance shouldn't be expected. It's still up there of course. I think 2.5 GHz might be more realistic but one can only be pleasently surprised if it boosts higher.

10 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I think 2.5 GHz might be more realistic but one can only be pleasently surprised if it boosts higher.

Unless when boosting higher it pulls more current at a higher voltage than the battery can supply, kernel panics, and bootloops *cough*Nexus6P*cough*

This reply written on my Nexus 6P :)

14 hours ago, Trixanity said:

It's most likely still a 4+4 config which would be M3 and A55. There are many ways to handle power consumption. Even a throttled M3 core would be significantly faster than an A55 core. However it's hard to tell multi core scores as Apple's efficiency cores are twice the size of A53 and A55 isn't any bigger if I recall correctly. That and only half the cores will be M3. A55 is only 15% faster than A53 but M3 is twice as fast as A73. In addition, there's scheduling, power management and even uncore stuff that throws a wrench into guessing scores. The only reason single core scores are so obvious is that it's just one M3 core so it's straight forward to calculate although I suspect we won't see it actually running at 2.9 GHz in an S9 so absolute performance shouldn't be expected. It's still up there of course. I think 2.5 GHz might be more realistic but one can only be pleasently surprised if it boosts higher.

Of course, it's also possible Samsung could implement a turbo boost thing so that it boosts higher (2.8-2.9 ghz) when on 1 or two cores but only 2.5 on 4 cores. I seem to recall someone in the mobile space (it might've been Samsung) trying that and failing though so who knows...

I guess only time will tell. I'm just uncertain if they'll use 4 cores partially because of die space reasons.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

16 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Is it really that power efficient though? IIRC The K1 was only used in tablets and stuff where there's more thermal dissipation so I'm not sure if it's really good for use in smartphones.

It'll beat the 8895 and maybe the 845 by a fair bit, but I personally doubt it'll beat the A11.

We can expect a 80-100% performance uplift in ST with a 40-60% uplift on MT and add the 55-60% IPC Increase, with all of that and 6GB of RAM, it might just be enough to beat the A11 by a small margin. ALseo the Sapdragon 835, 845 and Exynos 8895 had a drastically different chip designed, it essentially had 2 Quad-Core (2X High Efficiency Cores and 2X High Performance Cores per Module)  CPU`s that acted together (kind of like SLI or CCX on Zen) so it limited per core scalability, not to count the fact that it was lkess robust and wide as explained in this post. With the new FPU and ALU`s it will be way faster.

10 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

We can expect a 80-100% performance uplift in ST with a 40-60% uplift on MT and add the 55-60% IPC Increase, with all of that and 6GB of RAM, it might just be enough to beat the A11 by a small margin. ALseo the Sapdragon 835, 845 and Exynos 8895 had a drastically different chip designed, it essentially had 2 Quad-Core (2X High Efficiency Cores and 2X High Performance Cores per Module)  CPU`s that acted together (kind of like SLI or CCX on Zen) so it limited per core scalability, not to count the fact that it was lkess robust and wide as explained in this post. With the new FPU and ALU`s it will be way faster.

It's double the single threaded performance including the IPC bump. 

The Exynos 9810 was one of the first big announcements for 2018 and it was quite an exciting one. Samsung’s claims of doubling single-threaded performance was definitely an eye-catching moment and got a lot of attention. The new SoC sports four of Samsung’s third-generation Exynos M3 custom architecture cores running at up to 2.9GHz, alongside four Cortex A55 cores at 1.9GHz.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Correction: big.LITTLE works in rigid clusters and therefore can only have the same core config in the same cluster. 

DynamIQ changes that and loses the clusters in favor of a modular interconnect. And that's probably the closest you can get to a comparison to Zen and Infinity Fabric but honestly they're still very different. 

Samsung will most likely still use the same 4+4 config even if they have the freedom to configure it any way they want.

1 hour ago, DanielMDA said:

We can expect a 80-100% performance uplift in ST with a 40-60% uplift on MT and add the 55-60% IPC Increase, with all of that and 6GB of RAM, it might just be enough to beat the A11 by a small margin.

The double single thread performance includes frequency and IPC increase. I'm not sure where you're getting these MT numbers from.

1 hour ago, DanielMDA said:

ALseo the Sapdragon 835, 845 and Exynos 8895 had a drastically different chip designed, it essentially had 2 Quad-Core (2X High Efficiency Cores and 2X High Performance Cores per Module)  CPU`s that acted together (kind of like SLI or CCX on Zen) so it limited per core scalability, not to count the fact that it was lkess robust and wide as explained in this post. With the new FPU and ALU`s it will be way faster.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The split cores you're talking about is big.LITTLE and has been around for quite a while. Qualcomm has been using it since the snapdragon 810, Samsung since the 7420 (I'm not sure if they used it before that, since I didn't follow stuff back then), and Apple since the A10 Fusion. It's not a new thing from this gen. It's meant to improve performance and efficiency by using high power cores when doing stuff that requires performance and using efficient cores during times that don't really require much performance.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

21 hours ago, DocSwag said:

The double single thread performance includes frequency and IPC increase. I'm not sure where you're getting these MT numbers from.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The split cores you're talking about is big.LITTLE and has been around for quite a while. Qualcomm has been using it since the snapdragon 810, Samsung since the 7420 (I'm not sure if they used it before that, since I didn't follow stuff back then), and Apple since the A10 Fusion. It's not a new thing from this gen. It's meant to improve performance and efficiency by using high power cores when doing stuff that requires performance and using efficient cores during times that don't really require much performance.

Im preety sure my old Nexus 5X's Snapdragon 808 had that designd but in Hexa Core config

26 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Im preety sure my old Nexus 5X's Snapdragon 808 had that designd but in Hexa Core config

Yes it did. 808 came around the same generation as 810 so I only mentioned the 810 since they were the same gen.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yes it did. 808 came around the same generation as 810 so I only mentioned the 810 since they were the same gen.

Hey I am in High School and im interesed un Computer Architecture

random note - what happened to phones with intel cpus - i do remember they existed at some point

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

On 1/24/2018 at 5:14 AM, LAwLz said:

1) iOS is optimized for the specific processor used in the iPhones.

2) That iOS requires less resources to run than Android.

1.) Thats pretty self explanatory, Apple designs these chips to go into each new phone and the iOS version it’s expected to ship with. They do not just slap something together and use it without any thought

2.) iOS has always required less resources to run.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 1/24/2018 at 6:30 AM, LAwLz said:

Whoever decided that 4:3 was a good aspect ratio for a tablet deserves to be fired.

That’s the preferred productivity aspect ratio for most getting work done. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That’s the preferred productivity aspect ratio for most getting work done. 

3:2 is a much better aspect ratio.

And most work that is feasibly done on tablet either sees no difference or works better as 3:2 or 16:9. 

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

3:2 is a much better aspect ratio.

Your opinion 

22 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

1.) Thats pretty self explanatory, Apple designs these chips to go into each new phone and the iOS version it’s expected to ship with. They do not just slap something together and use it without any thought

2.) iOS has always required less resources to run.

IIRC that video shows that Android and iOS actually only use a similar amount of RAM

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Your opinion 

So that's why every company that makes a professional geared tablet uses either 16:9, 8:5, or 3:2, with the only exception being Apple's iPad Pro.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Heesleemer said:

random note - what happened to phones with intel cpus - i do remember they existed at some point

Intel stopped developing them. Atom-based processors didn't compete well and the SoCs didn't offer as good a feature set. Intel were throwing a lot of money into a bottomless pit essentially. They subsidized them heavily but Qualcomm gave better incentives overall. Eventually Intel realized they couldn't make a dent in the market and gave up. 

Intel were too late and didn't have the technology to compete at the time. I'd honestly say they have a better chance today with their current modems if they integrated it onto a Core-based low power SoC. But reality is that the ship has sailed and it would cost too much to attempt again. It would cost at least few billion to even try but probably more to succeed. 

With that being said, I don't think the rewards are big enough. It's a high volume market but the margins aren't as big as Intel would like. Besides, Qualcomm would use every trick they can come up with to keep Intel out. They've done it once before and they'll do it again.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:27 PM, Stefan1024 said:

Haha, I like how the bars of the division and FP just fades out to hide how much more time they actually need.

Also, let me know how large the performance gain is after patching for specter and meltdown....

well the thing is , both of those actually don't have a set cycle length . Integer Division can take up to 21. OOOE mitigates that though

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

So that's why every company that makes a professional geared tablet uses either 16:9, 8:5, or 3:2

And what companies would those be?

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

IIRC that video shows that Android and iOS actually only use a similar amount of RAM

Not entirely true 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And what companies would those be?

Samsung

Microsoft

Wacom

Panasonic

Dell

Elo

Huion

Lenovo

So on and so forth.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Samsung

Microsoft

Wacom

Only these companies have any market presence, and only Samsung and Microsoft make Tablets. Wacom makes drawing tablets, not tablet tablets. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Only these companies have any market presence, and only Samsung and Microsoft make Tablets. Wacom makes drawing tablets, not tablet tablets. 

The iPad Pro is only "pro" because of the drawing aspect. Otherwise it's just another iteration of an ipad. Those are the perfect devices to be comparing it to.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.