Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nowak

Montana becomes first state to implement net neutrality rules post-FCC repeal

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

I didn't think there were enough people in Montana that have internet for them to care.

Hey man... there are dozens of us I tell you, dozens!


Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Corsair H110i GTX   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

 

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

 

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Noice, hopefully we'll hear more soon from DC about that lawsuit.


How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man you should see comments across socil media about this. It's so cancer. 


Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Rigg3L said:

That's two states. 48 to go.


Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

 

Be proud of who you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daring said:

That's two states. 48 to go.

Meanwhile Europe be like: LMAO wtf even has Trump's puppet done. We can't do that shit here cos that's anti-consumer.


How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

The statement that most Republicans don't support Net Neutrality is completely false. However saying that most Republican representative in the government do not support it is accurate. There have been polls where up to 71% of Republican civilians support it and 83% of Democrats do too. It's not a "people don't support it problem," it's a "the government doesn't care what we think of the topic problem."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, dwright said:

The statement that most Republicans don't support Net Neutrality is completely false. However saying that most Republican representative in the government do not support it is accurate. There have been polls where up to 71% of Republican civilians support it and 83% of Democrats do too. It's not a "people don't support it problem," it's a "the government doesn't care what we think of the topic problem."

The article was talking about Republican politicians.


Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

 

Be proud of who you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Meanwhile Europe be like: LMAO wtf even has Trump's puppet done. We can't do that shit here cos that's anti-consumer.

don't you celebrate just yet. You guys will be out of EU soon, no guarantees your government wont do the same.


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, asus killer said:

don't you celebrate just yet. You guys will be out of EU soon, no guarantees your government wont do the same.

Actually I can cos they're gonna make all EU laws into the UK in an upcoming Bill. So yeah, I can celebrate and if they undo it at some point in time then I'm sure I can find somewhere else to live where a country respects me.


How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 1:17 PM, Daring said:

More and more stores are shifting job applications to the internet down here in the States as well. It basically is an essential part of the modern life.

How scary is the thought that an ISP could control  an individuals access (based on web surfing data) to certain job application sites? 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

How scary is the thought that an ISP could control  an individuals access (based on web surfing data) to certain job application sites? 

Very Scary. Imagine if they hid all the job listings from competing businesses and any business which didn't pay them for the right.


How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Very Scary. Imagine if they hid all the job listings from competing businesses and any business which didn't pay them for the right.

or even worse. redirected any e-mail or attempt on reaching any competitor website to their own.

suddenly everyone who attempts to use google get redirected to Bing..... Oh god the horror

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually I can cos they're gonna make all EU laws into the UK in an upcoming Bill. So yeah, I can celebrate and if they undo it at some point in time then I'm sure I can find somewhere else to live where a country respects me.

lol like our government will protect internet laws haHAA

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, BachChain said:

What?

Don't ask me, I'm not Steve Bullock ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

 

Be proud of who you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 6:22 PM, Daring said:

requiring ISPs to be compliant with net neutrality rules if they wish to continue doing business within the state.

This specific line worries me, because we can't ignore the possibility of ISP's in Montana just jumping ship and leaving the state with no internet at all.
Some people consider access to the internet a human right (it's not, but that is also not the point). What good is a right to the internet if there is no one to provide it? Montana may have the "best" and "most fair" rules for regulating the ISPs, but if there are no ISPs to regulate those laws are a moot point and the citizens ultimately lose. This is just hypothetical, I highly doubt ISPs would completely shut off that state, but we can't ignore that possibility, as cutting off incentives to do things often results in them no longer being done, look at socialist countries that have declared healthcare a right but have no doctors.

Providing internet is a service that has to be profitable otherwise the companies that provide it will no longer do so. Unless every state legislates similar rules, it is entirely possible for companies to relocate to a place where they can make more money.

I am very much for the principals that all internet data should have equal priority, but I do want to point out that the internet rules are now similar to the same rules that wireless phone companies have for cellphone service, as it was just two years prior to the ruling. When "Net Neutrality" was introduced (and it wasn't actually how most people describe it, nor followed as well as you'd think), internet service stopped progressing in any meaningful way, new ISPs are essentially non-existent (thanks to local governments regulating things), speeds have not really gotten improved and many think their service has gotten worse, accessibility has not improved much and I personally suspect that some ISPs have actually stopped servicing areas creating fewer options for residents, etc.. But cell service that has been regulated differently has continued to improve both in speed and accessibility in the meantime. Time will tell if the FCC's ruling is beneficial in any way, though.

I also agree with state rights and believe that local governments should have more power over their immediate area and states over their land and the federal govt having the least amount of power and influence, so this "states can't make their own rules" is a line I dislike even more-so, not just in the FCC ruling but the idea of that kind of law is totalitarian in principal.

Like I said, I agree with the all data being treated equal, and in that sense I very support 'Net Neutrality', but I don't think it's quite fair to shout doomsday just yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Unclescar said:

Providing internet is a service that has to be profitable otherwise the companies that provide it will no longer do so. Unless every state legislates similar rules, it is entirely possible for companies to relocate to a place where they can make more money.

I doubt that would happen.  The more likely scenario - if they felt they weren't making enough profit - would be to raise the prices on their customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Unclescar said:

This specific line worries me, because we can't ignore the possibility of ISP's in Montana just jumping ship and leaving the state with no internet at all.
Some people consider access to the internet a human right (it's not, but that is also not the point). What good is a right to the internet if there is no one to provide it? Montana may have the "best" and "most fair" rules for regulating the ISPs, but if there are no ISPs to regulate those laws are a moot point and the citizens ultimately lose. This is just hypothetical, I highly doubt ISPs would completely shut off that state, but we can't ignore that possibility, as cutting off incentives to do things often results in them no longer being done, look at socialist countries that have declared healthcare a right but have no doctors.

Providing internet is a service that has to be profitable otherwise the companies that provide it will no longer do so. Unless every state legislates similar rules, it is entirely possible for companies to relocate to a place where they can make more money.

I am very much for the principals that all internet data should have equal priority, but I do want to point out that the internet rules are now similar to the same rules that wireless phone companies have for cellphone service, as it was just two years prior to the ruling. When "Net Neutrality" was introduced (and it wasn't actually how most people describe it, nor followed as well as you'd think), internet service stopped progressing in any meaningful way, new ISPs are essentially non-existent (thanks to local governments regulating things), speeds have not really gotten improved and many think their service has gotten worse, accessibility has not improved much and I personally suspect that some ISPs have actually stopped servicing areas creating fewer options for residents, etc.. But cell service that has been regulated differently has continued to improve both in speed and accessibility in the meantime. Time will tell if the FCC's ruling is beneficial in any way, though.

I also agree with state rights and believe that local governments should have more power over their immediate area and states over their land and the federal govt having the least amount of power and influence, so this "states can't make their own rules" is a line I dislike even more-so, not just in the FCC ruling but the idea of that kind of law is totalitarian in principal.

Like I said, I agree with the all data being treated equal, and in that sense I very support 'Net Neutrality', but I don't think it's quite fair to shout doomsday just yet.

Most companies only dump a complete service when they are losing money, therefore ISP's are not likely to just stop providing services.   And if they did leave, another company would come in and take over, because a small profit for a small company is better than no company.   And at absolute worst case (which won't happen) facebook will provide free internet.  *feels shiver run down spine*


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@mr moose Not all companies Can the ISP I work for cannot enter the state because of anti monopoly Laws. To enter we'd have to give up another area. So we only do that to gain a likely more lucritive area. There are entire States the ISP I work for is not in. Montana is one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tellos said:

@mr moose Not all companies Can the ISP I work for cannot enter the state because of anti monopoly Laws. To enter we'd have to give up another area. So we only do that to gain a likely more lucritive area. There are entire States the ISP I work for is not in. Montana is one.

but another company could.  maybe not yours. 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mr moose said:

but another company could.  maybe not yours. 

LIS, Linus Internet Services. Comes with free Floatplane access... wait that's no better than cable tv companies being ISPs >.<. Damn net neutrality lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×