Intel Recommends NOT patching Spectre with current patch

Evanair

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/22/intel-spectre-patch-reboots/

"We recommend that OEMs, cloud service providers, system manufacturers, software vendors and end users stop deployment of current versions, as they may introduce higher than expected reboots and other unpredictable system behavior," Shenoy wrote.

Almost more of a PSA, I haven't looked into many details of this.

Intel really should have tested their updates prior to sending them out, even if it was a rather large flaw.  It'll be interesting to see how this "new" patch ends up rolling out to the public and if there are any more flaws

EDIT: Intel news release https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/

3 minutes ago, AGrider said:

Sorry, the fans have bugs now too. 

Lol oops

I would call it rushed update, but how long have they known about it again? What a farce...

I've been monitoring which of my mobos have got the microcode update, but not got around to applying any of them yet. Just as well...

Edit: the linked Intel post is a bit ambiguous as to the impact of the reboot bug, explicitly mentioning Haswell and Broadwell. They had previously said it may also affect Skylake/Kaby Lake but that wasn't mentioned here. If you click through to the list of affected CPUs, it does list latest recommended microcode version, as well as newer ones not to deploy. So now we have an even bigger headache of not necessarily easily being able to tell "good" from "bad" fix updates.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Breaking press release from Intel: "We urge all users to remove their processors carefully onto a solid piece of concrete before destroying it carefully, this will remove the critical security flaw in our processors. Thank you."

47 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Next week from Intel: "We recommend all users to not to turn on your computers, and to remove them from the Internet."

Well, they wouldn't exactly be wrong.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

48 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Next week from Intel: "We recommend all users to not to turn on your computers, and to remove them from the Internet."

Two weeks from now, Intel: "We recommend all users buy AMD systems to combat vulnerabilities and instabilities that Spectre, Meltdown, BIOS updates and very poorly made Windows patches cause." 

2 hours ago, IamODIN said:

Lol oops

2 hours ago, AGrider said:

Sorry, the fans have bugs now too. 

Nah... that's the reason why they don't ship their CPUs with fans anymore. You can't have bugs in a product of you don't have a product, in this case, fans.

reece.jpg

Intel needs far better QA......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Two weeks from now, Intel: "We recommend all users buy AMD systems to combat vulnerabilities and instabilities that Spectre, Meltdown, BIOS updates and very poorly made Windows patches cause." 

Don't worry no one will see that advice since they followed the previous advice of turning the computer off and unplugging it.

Meanwhile, my patched MacOS works great.

9 hours ago, Evanair said:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/22/intel-spectre-patch-reboots/

Almost more of a PSA, I haven't looked into many details of this.

Intel really should have tested their updates prior to sending them out, even if it was a rather large flaw.  It'll be interesting to see how this "new" patch ends up rolling out to the public and if there are any more flaws

EDIT: Intel news release https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/

i was under the impression Microsoft was responsible for the patches/updates.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, nor that it's not the best they can do all things considered. But for the average computer user, it doesn't really help to have a sequence of news outlet informing about vulnerabilities, announcing patches that everyone need to apply, and the general "update everything, all the time" zeitgeist we live in, followed by a "not really everyone. For one of the vulnerabilities only. Maybe".

I'm not sure the average Joe will know what do, and we'll probably end up with a full distribution of all possible combinations, and not really as a result of conscious decisions about what to update and what not, but purely random.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Meanwhile, my patched MacOS works great.

See, this is one example: we are discussing a micro-code patch that would come in BIOS update, hence completely OS-independent, yet confusion is already wreaking havoc among consumers...

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, nor that it's not the best they can do all things considered. But for the average computer user, it doesn't really help to have a sequence of news outlet informing about vulnerabilities, announcing patches that everyone need to apply, and the general "update everything, all the time" zeitgeist we live in, followed by a "not really everyone. For one of the vulnerabilities only. Maybe".

I'm not sure the average Joe will know what do, and we'll probably end up with a full distribution of all possible combinations, and not really as a result of conscious decisions about what to update and what not, but purely random.

See, this is one example: we are discussing a micro-code patch that would come in BIOS update, hence completely OS-independent, yet confusion is already wreaking havoc among consumers...

You'd find it pretty hard to give a Mac a BIOS update. I'm not the one who is confused mate.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

You'd find it pretty hard to give a Mac a BIOS update. I'm not the one who is confused mate.

If what you mean is that Macs will never receive updates to protect them from Spectre, stable or unstable, then fine, I don't know what Apple plans to do about it.

But it doesn't change that the issue is not at Window, Linux, or Mac OS level, but at the chip level, and it is Intel either way.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

If what you mean is that Macs will never receive updates to protect them from Spectre, stable or unstable, then fine, I don't know what Apple plans to do about it.

But it doesn't change that the issue is not at Window, Linux, or Mac OS level, but at the chip level, and it is Intel either way.

Macs do not have a BIOS, they have an EFI shell. Updates to the microcode are done through the App Store, where OS / EFI / any updates are attained. Intel need to fix the problem at a hardware level to solve this issue fully and issue an update to OEMs that is acceptable. Definitely agree Intel need to get their head out of the sand and fix this issue. Its not good enough on their end. At the end of the day, we have bought their product and it is defective.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Don't worry no one will see that advice since they followed the previous advice of turning the computer off and unplugging it.

Touche.

Seems pretty unforgivable to me, coupled with their "it's not a big deal" attitude... they had MONTHS to develop a proper patch but they'd rather focus on competing with amd - which is ridiculous considering they've been sitting on their butts for 6 years.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Tbh, I was very furious about this. First they told users to install the patch quickly and now they said it's a faulty patch. C'mon Intel you should have done initial tests before launching the patches. Now my laptop has a premature BIOS which reduces performance, I can't roll back to the previous BIOS.

IMO it's not related to Microsoft since it was Intel who provide the patches so that they can be installed via Windows update.

Very disappointed with Intel.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

lol. i dont even have internet at home at the moment, so this wont affect me 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

57 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

lol. i dont even have internet at home at the moment, so this wont affect me 

*breaks into your home to do Spectre related stuff to your computer*

23 hours ago, leadeater said:

Crap, I did it in the wrong order. :(

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440