7.1 sound for fortnite ?

zindan

Speakers? Yes. Headphones? No. 7.1 is not possible in a headphone. Any headphones that claim 7.1 is all fake and it sucks. No one should ever buy a gaming headset, headphones are MUCH better always.

12 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Speakers? Yes. Headphones? No. 7.1 is not possible in a headphone. Any headphones that claim 7.1 is all fake and it sucks. No one should ever buy a gaming headset, headphones are MUCH better always.

These one have a 7.1 button on them so wtf? https://www.maxgaming.se/tradbundna-headset-1/cloud-ii-gaming-headset-red?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJbTBRDkARIsAIA0a5NcFlhoWQ4WNiV_IQyV9Fu_80no8y009lhurKnIDiRCDr8lpdTJq9IaAlOQEALw_wcB

1 minute ago, zindan said:

That's not real 7.1, you don't understand what 7.1 means. 7.1 audio requires 8 channels to make a surround experience. Headphones only have 2 drivers, so any headset that claims 7.1 is doing simulated fake 7.1. And all of them suck. If you are looking at buying new headphones get real headphones not a gaming headset.

Here's a picture of what real 7.1 is.

image.jpg.4b4a61de284794806ae47bc6dfd540e4.jpg

4 minutes ago, zindan said:

Headphones that advertise 7.1 surround sound use virtual surround sound and most implementations of it don't work very well for with regards to accurate positioning and often introduce quality degradation.

The only way to have proper surround sound on headphones is using both HRTF and binaural mixing.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

That's not real 7.1, you don't understand what 7.1 means. 7.1 audio requires 8 channels to make a surround experience. Headphones only have 2 drivers, so any headset that claims 7.1 is doing simulated fake 7.1. And all of them suck. If you are looking at buying new headphones get real headphones not a gaming headset.

Here's a picture of what real 7.1 is.

image.jpg.4b4a61de284794806ae47bc6dfd540e4.jpg

oh no I am looking for like headsets so I can hear footsteps and locate them very easily on fortnite.

Just now, zindan said:

oh no I am looking for like headsets so I can hear footsteps and locate them very easily on fortnite.

What's your budget? I'll give you recommendations so you can get real headphones that will do a much better job than any fake 7.1 headset.

If you're on a budget the Cloud II headphones are actually really good for the price.  I don't use the 7.1 feature as it modifies the sound for that fake 7.1 sound.  I just keep them in stereo and the games still sound surround.  If you can afford higher just get the best sounding stereo headphones you can afford.  Game these days are designed with headphones in mind so they actually use different sound effects for things that are infront or behind you so it will still sound surround to you.

2 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

If you're on a budget the Cloud II headphones are actually really good for the price.  I don't use the 7.1 feature as it modifies the sound for that fake 7.1 sound.  I just keep them in stereo and the games still sound surround.  If you can afford higher just get the best sounding stereo headphones you can afford.  Game these days are designed with headphones in mind so they actually use different sound effects for things that are infront or behind you so it will still sound surround to you.

The Cloud is the only headset I give a sort of pass to, but there are still better stereo headphones for less like the SHP9500s and CB-1s.

29 minutes ago, zindan said:

It doesn’t matter what headphones they all have fake 7.1. You need 8 drivers for 7.1 and all headphones only have 2. Its like if a car said it has a V12 but only has 4 cylinders, it doesn’t matter what they say it can’t be a V12 because it’s only has 4 cylinders just like how a headphone can’t be 7.1 because it only has 2 drivers not 8.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

It doesn’t matter what headphones they all have fake 7.1. You need 8 drivers for 7.1 and all headphones only have 2. Its like if a car said it has a V12 but only has 4 cylinders, it doesn’t matter what they say it can’t be a V12 because it’s only has 4 cylinders just like how a headphone can’t be 7.1 because it only has 2 drivers not 8.

I believe you bro, but I meanth like are they good headphones as stereo or whatever you said? :)

Just now, zindan said:

I believe you bro, but I meanth like are they good headphones as stereo or whatever you said? :)

What’s your budget? 

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

What’s your budget? 

100 euro perhaps a little more

Just now, zindan said:

100 euro perhaps a little more

Philips SHP9500s plus the Vmoda Boom Pro mic adapter.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Philips SHP9500s plus the Vmoda Boom Pro mic adapter.

Are they like very good ?

Just now, zindan said:

Are they like very good ?

Just now, zindan said:

What if  I wanna listen to music ? do they ahve good base? 

Yes they are very good headphones. Probably the best under $150. They have good bass, but they aren't super bass heavy like beats or anything. But obviously you are doing it wrong if you are only picking a headphone off of bass.

17 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yes they are very good headphones. Probably the best under $150. They have good bass, but they aren't super bass heavy like beats or anything. But obviously you are doing it wrong if you are only picking a headphone off of bass.

if I had a 7.1 surround system with speakers and stuff, would that be good for gaming? better tan headphones? 

2 minutes ago, zindan said:

if I had a 7.1 surround system with speakers and stuff, would that be good for gaming? better tan headphones? 

Depends. I know some people who prefer speakers over headphones for gaming, but it's few. And I hope you are ready to spend like bare minimum $1200 if you are going to build a 7.1 setup. Remember that's 8 speakers, an Amp, and a receiver that you need for that. And at that point you are in the god tier headphone range too.

49 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Depends. I know some people who prefer speakers over headphones for gaming, but it's few. And I hope you are ready to spend like bare minimum $1200 if you are going to build a 7.1 setup. Remember that's 8 speakers, an Amp, and a receiver that you need for that. And at that point you are in the god tier headphone range too.

way to much.... my last money was spent on the 1080 TI... well well I suppose I can try a few headphones and return them if I don't like them. 

Set windows to 7.1 through control panel, audio, right click and configure speakers. Then use the 7.1 button on your headphones.

The issue with playing with stereo without hrtf is that you only have 2 angles for sound. Relative to 7.1 surround sound virtualization, this will create a lot of ambiguity between front and back sounds. This is especially apparent when you are healing/drinking/sniping/looting since you don't also have audio panning while doing those things. Or another example would be listening to a twitch stream with your eyes closed, where determining front-back direction or clockwise vs counterclockwise turns accurately is not possible, due to the limitations of a stereo mix.

• 6 months later...

There's a reason that Ninja uses the Sound Blaster X7 sound card and not just an Amp/DAC combo...

I would get a sound card capable of Virtual Surround such as the more affordable Sound Blaster E5 or G5 and a nice set of cans with a wide soundstage for Fortnite.

You should read The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) to understand the benefits of Virtual surround from a sound card.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound.593050/

As well as you should read Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide to help you learn what type of headphone you should use for gaming.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-6-20-2018-pad-swapping-section-dekoni-audio-pads-added.534479/#post_7208658

You can watch the Youtube videos with recorded virtual surround sound examples, with your headphones on and see if its for you.

Some people complain that the footsteps sound too far out and it can be confusing. It will probably take some getting used to because you have been playing in stereo but you should be able to hear people from further out and have more awareness of player positioning

That being said I would not buy the gaming headset with the surround sound button on it. Buy a sound card capable of (virtual) Surround Sound 7.1 and a good set of headphones.

5 hours ago, Flowjangles said:

There's a reason that Ninja uses the Sound Blaster X7 sound card and not just an Amp/DAC combo...

I would get a sound card capable of Virtual Surround such as the more affordable Sound Blaster E5 or G5 and a nice set of cans with a wide soundstage for Fortnite.

You should read The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) to understand the benefits of Virtual surround from a sound card.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound.593050/

As well as you should read Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide to help you learn what type of headphone you should use for gaming.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-6-20-2018-pad-swapping-section-dekoni-audio-pads-added.534479/#post_7208658

You can watch the Youtube videos with recorded virtual surround sound examples, with your headphones on and see if its for you.

Some people complain that the footsteps sound too far out and it can be confusing. It will probably take some getting used to because you have been playing in stereo but you should be able to hear people from further out and have more awareness of player positioning

That being said I would not buy the gaming headset with the surround sound button on it. Buy a sound card capable of (virtual) Surround Sound 7.1 and a good set of headphones.

I would love to have more awareness of player positioning!! That is my main goal here. It is really difficult. I bought the Beyerdynamic dt 990 so now I need a descent soundcard or DAC + AMP