Jump to content
NickHayashi

new build similar to linus' personal rig!

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey friends,

 

I've been planning a rackmount chassis build for a long time now that is designed as a catch-all productivity machine for music production, programming, schoolwork, etc. And for those unfamiliar, the chassis will be physically isolated (in a closet) from the peripherals so as to produce a cleaner desk environment 100% free of fan noise, something actually not that uncommon in the world of audio production.

 

Anyway, something i'm not too clear on is if it is possible to achieve non-integrated graphics performance without the use of a eGPU like the razer core. Since the only cable running from the computer will be a single thunderbolt 3, likely coming from some random thunderbolt pcie expansion card, what I've read seems to indicate that it will be pulling only integrated graphics performance, even if there is a GPU installed in the system. Is this the case?

 

Assuming this is the case, integrated graphics is not something I have a big issue with - the machine is going to be doing almost no gaming. For integrated GPUs i'm considering the intel i7 5775C. I would like some feedback in regards to what platform i should use. I ideally would like to dual boot macos and win10 but i have literally 0 experience in the world of the hackintosh. Is AMD worth considering?

 

Lastly, i've had mixed results researching thunderbolt docks. it seems that they can be riddled with issues of disconnects between power cycles (something i've experienced with usb docks) and the like. given that they are so expensive i would like to get my money's worth. I need atleast 4 back facing usb ports (usb2/3), and the capability to run two (or potentially three) displays. An sd or microsd card reader would be a huge plus as well. Does anyone know what linus is using?

 

Thanks

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NickHayashi said:

Anyway, something i'm not too clear on is if it is possible to achieve non-integrated graphics performance without the use of a eGPU like the razer core.

Um, just use a dGPU in the computer.

25 minutes ago, NickHayashi said:

Since the only cable running from the computer will be a single thunderbolt 3, likely coming from some random thunderbolt pcie expansion card, what I've read seems to indicate that it will be pulling only integrated graphics performance, even if there is a GPU installed in the system.

I don't believe so.

26 minutes ago, NickHayashi said:

For integrated GPUs i'm considering the intel i7 5775C.

That is a CPU.

27 minutes ago, NickHayashi said:

I ideally would like to dual boot macos and win10 but i have literally 0 experience in the world of the hackintosh.

I don't think we are allowed to discuss hackintosh on the forum.

 

28 minutes ago, NickHayashi said:

Is AMD worth considering?

Yes.


ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, TurbulentWinds said:

Um, just use a dGPU in the computer.

I don't believe so.

That is a CPU.

I don't think we are allowed to discuss hackintosh on the forum.

 

Yes.

Perhaps you don't understand. There would be no point in using a dGPU in the system if I couldn't send that video signal + all my peripherals over a single thunderbolt cable. Whether or not that is possible is what I am asking. 

 

"I don't believe so"

do you have any reason for believing this?

 

"that is a CPU"

again, you seem to be missing the point. when discussing a build using integrated GPU's the graphics performance of the chip is a very relevant part. that's why I talked about the 5775C in a graphical context. believe it or not it has a GPU in there!

 

my mistake on the hackintosh front.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NickHayashi said:

Perhaps you don't understand. There would be no point in using a dGPU in the system if I couldn't send that video signal + all my peripherals over a single thunderbolt cable. Whether or not that is possible is what I am asking. 

 

"I don't believe so"

do you have any reason for believing this?

My bad, the wording was a bit unclear but I should have assumed the above. I think you should be able to. I used to run my Quadro's display signal over USB on my laptop and I know someone who uses a single thunderbolt connecter to drive 2 monitors off his laptop using the dGPU signal. It should be possible, might be janky.

12 minutes ago, NickHayashi said:

again, you seem to be missing the point. when discussing a build using integrated GPU's the graphics performance of the chip is a very relevant part. that's why I talked about the 5775C in a graphical context. believe it or not it has a GPU in there!

 

1 hour ago, NickHayashi said:

For integrated GPUs i'm considering the intel i7 5775C.

My bad again, I talk to a lot of people new to computers and when I saw the above, I assumed you thought the i7 5775C was a GPU. With intergrated graphics, instead of getting a high performance older CPU, it is usually better to get a normal modern CPU. iGPUs are improving a ton per generation but in the end it really doesn't matter too much. All are about equalish.


ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×