philips hue alternatives

pomkon
17 hours ago, Almostbauws said:

i can have 10 bulbs easily, but not from my wallet...

also what does a19 mean?

12 minutes ago, pomkon said:

i can have 10 bulbs easily, but not from my wallet...

also what does a19 mean?

That must be the bulb socket size.

On 06/02/2018 at 4:07 PM, Almostbauws said:

That must be the bulb socket size.

isnt e27 the standard? 

what light kits are u using?

2 hours ago, pomkon said:

isnt e27 the standard? 

what light kits are u using?

e27 is a standard but there is no definite standard. in europe e27 and e14 are most common for lamps gu10 for spots and so on. also there are some cheaper option out there but if youre looking for a simple to use solution id go with philips. me personally im thinking about getting something like limitless led. they were one of the first to do smart bulb and the bulbs are pretty cheap but their bridge has limitation and and i dont think they work with any assistant but they do have an open api meaning one could write an interface themselves ^^

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Check out the Sonoff series by iTead Studios.  They offer a range of home control products starting at as little as 6 bucks.  Six bucks gets you a WiFi-controlled relay module that you can splice in-line with a lamp cord (or an extension cord) and then control from anywhere in the world that has internet access using your smart phone.  No hub is required, only a WiFi network.

Most of their products are relay-controlled, so on/off only with no dimming; maybe lack of dimming is a good tradeoff if you can control your whole house for a hundred bucks.

Some of the modules support temperature and humidity monitoring and those parameters used to control other modules.  Some of the modules can monitor power usage.

Low voltage DC modules are handy for some applications (like the string of USB Christmas lights I'm using as a night light) and modules are available to provide momentary contact closure to operate garage door openers and electronic gates.

The system works directly with Google Home and I believe Alexa as well without any hardware beyond the modules being required.

From what I have seen, Google Home and Alexa work with many suppliers of home automation equipment, and can serve to integrate various incompatible systems together.  Google Home knows how to "turn on the living room lamp" and how to "turn all lights off" no matter what home control system a given lamp is using.

The Sonoff product line is constantly expanding.  Firmware updates for the modules occur regularly, and the eweLink smart phone app for Andriod and IOS is updated frequently.

I'm just a satisfied customer, looking to correct some misinformation.

6 hours ago, Jon C said:

control your whole house for a hundred bucks.

lol, even that cost $100....

how do i save this topic? i want to come back to this later.

1 hour ago, pomkon said:

lol, even that cost $100....

how do i save this topic? i want to come back to this later.

You can start with one lamp for $6.  The app is free and nothing else is required  (as long as you have WiFi).

I'm looking for a smart bulb for a long time but the price has always made me to not get one.

Also I've another question. Do all of these bulbs require an internet connection? Or they only need a LAN? The Ikea's ones need an internet connection (at least according to the website) but what about the others? I have to use them with only a loan network available

Latest build: MyPC Liquid Time

Firmware in the Sonoff modules can be changed to versions  using a local server, which can be something as simple as a Raspberry Pi.  An advantage of going this route is that your home control system isn't subject to network and remote server problems.

Google Home does require internet access to do almost everything, so it won't work with a LAN-only solution.

On 22-1-2018 at 8:49 PM, pomkon said:

rgb leds arent expensive. philips is making so much margin on them...

what alternatives are there?

do u need a philips hue hub if u want voice control lights with google home?

I want to set up a smart home, but everything is expensive...

ikea

On 09/02/2018 at 7:19 AM, Jon C said:

Raspberry Pi

would an audino  work as well?