Itunes screws up and releases new Thor movie already

According to the article here:
https://torrentfreak.com/thor-ragnarok-furiously-pirated-after-itunes-pre-order-blunder-180122/
Thor Ragnarok was released for download to early. After just 10 hours the DRM was cracked and now everyone who wants to see this movie as 1 option. Pirate it.
The movie was planned to be released on February 17th.
First of all: I don't recommend pirating anything!

A quote from the article:

So what went wrong? According to a user on Reddit who has since deleted his post, a legal pre-order purchase was incorrectly made available for download a month early.

“I pre-ordered Thor Ragnarok on Vudu yesterday and it links it to my iTunes also,” the user explained.

“But curiously it showed up in my iTunes library this morning (pre-orders shouldn’t). And now I can watch the full movie in HD. I obviously downloaded it right away. I know its supposed to come out February 20th.”

The precise mechanism behind the movie incorrectly appearing on iTunes isn’t clear but the user reported that he didn’t buy it on the platform. Instead, he purchased the 4K version on Vudu, which was linked to his MoviesAnywhere account, which was in turn linked to iTunes.

But I think this will bring an interesting situation and I wonder what Disney will do in response.
If they will keep to the original release schedule it means everyone who really wants to see this movie NOW has only 1 option. It isn't in the cinema anymore and there is no legal way to watch the movie. This again leads into the debate that often the legal ways of watching the movie are so much more troublesome then the illegal ways that it's not weird people pirate these movies.
Personally, I hope Disney will respond by releasing the movie for legal download earlier (as soon as possible) so people who do want to see it legally have at least a choice now, but I don't expect this to happen. What I do expect is we will be seeing a lot of lawsuit threats over this which only means even more media attention and therefore even more people aware of the fact you can already download this movie.

How do you guys think they should handle this?

Edited by Morgan MLGman
Added a quote from the article

2 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

Personally I hope disney will respond by releasing the movie for legal download earlier (as soon as possible) so people who do want to see it legally have at least a choice now

People who wanted to see it legally were going to wait, so I don't see them losing any choice. They still have the choice to watch it according to plan. They just have an additional option, which is to deviate from the plan and exploit this leak. I don't see any way in which "they have only 1 choice", except in the sense that their options to be impatient went up from 0 to 1. Except they were never zero, it's just a matter of the quality of this particular leak relative to others.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Although it's funny it happened :P 

18 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

bit weird that sales are restricted even though its not screening anymore.

Disney probably sticks to the old systems so they want to release the dvd of this movie in tandem with (I think) the release of Black Panther in the cinema. So they can use this movie to advertise the dvd sale and the other way around. With the sale of the dvd you will get some kind of advertisement of black panther etc.

Personally I think in this day and age of everything on demand this is a system which doesn't work anymore and they should just let go of it.

13 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

People who wanted to see it legally were going to wait, so I don't see them losing any choice. They still have the choice to watch it according to plan. They just have an additional option, which is to deviate from the plan and exploit this leak. I don't see any way in which "they have only 1 choice", except in the sense that their options to be impatient went up from 0 to 1. Except they were never zero, it's just a matter of the quality of this particular leak relative to others.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Although it's funny it happened :P 

yes...but like I said what i mean is NOW you only have 1 choice. and that's weird. If the movie was still in the cinema I could understand it not being for sale. but seriously why shouldn't I be able to watch the movie legally NOW. especially because it seems like it is possible to have it as itunes already had it. Is this purely because they haven't printed enough dvds/bluerays yet etc? Then again what's the problem of releasing it digital already and only later do a physical release?

Edit: sorry for the double post. tought there was a post in between :p.

Yeah, never understood why the huge delay between the end of screening in theatres and the dvd launch

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, Levisallanon said:

yes...but like I said what i mean is NOW you only have 1 choice.

And what I said is I don't understand how "NOW you only have 1 choice", when you have the same choice(s) as before.

Just now, Levisallanon said:

but seriously why shouldn't I be able to watch the movie legally NOW.

For the same reason you weren't before this leak, whatever it may be.

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

Yeah, never understood why the huge delay between the end of screening in theatres and the dvd launch

So pirates dont have anything to rip while its still in theaters in other countries? 9_9

/On topic

Nothing to see here, just another outdated practice of the industry and the market solving the supply shortage on its own. As usual...

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

So pirates dont have anything to rip while its still in theaters in other countries? 9_9

/On topic

Nothing to see here, just another outdated practice of the industry and the market solving the supply shortage on its own. As usual...

After almost 6 months?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

I'd hazard a guess it's some idiot in the marketing department who thinks it will build demand and thus increase sales. Really wish companies would start not having marketing departments as they're largely more frustrating to the customer than helpful, or at least the practices they cling to are.

Personally I've been waiting to buy it on amazon prime video, but if they continue making me wait well... I guess they don't want my money?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Money. They want you to see it in the cinema, and then if you like it enough, buy it to see again. If the two were too close together, I think a lot of people would say stuff the cinema, wait and grab the DVD/bluray and multiple people can see it for the one off cost. While you're not going to match cinema screen sizes at home, you can "go large" at not too insane a cost nowadays. I used to run a projector at home before HD days, just as well as it was 480p! But 100 inches... don't bother any more as my "cinematic" consumption has reduced since.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'd hazard a guess it's some idiot in the marketing department who thinks it will build demand and thus increase sales. Really wish companies would start not having marketing departments as they're largely more frustrating to the customer than helpful, or at least the practices they cling to are.

Personally I've been waiting to buy it on amazon prime video, but if they continue making me wait well... I guess they don't want my money?

It's not a guess actually, it's right.

The industry calls it "windowing" and they have this moronic notion that the more "windows" they create for a viewing opportunity the more money they'll make.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It's not a guess actually, it's right.

The industry calls it "windowing" and they have this moronic notion that the more "windows" they create for a viewing opportunity the more money they'll make.

I swear if I ever have control of a company, or my own company, there will be no marketing department or personnel.

Honestly, I'd do it all myself and just do whatever I can to generate good will with the customer and not worry about shareholders (although if it's my own company there won't be any of those other than the employees) or quarterly profits. Instead focusing on long term profitability by simply being a good company that people enjoy interacting with.

How companies haven't picked up on this astounds me. Instead they cling to this sociopathic mentality of "as much profit for as little effort right fucking now or your all fired and the customer can go fuck themselves". I honestly HATE interacting with companies that have that mentality, and will go to a competitor who doesn't act that way 100% of the time, if I have that option.

20 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I swear if I ever have control of a company, or my own company, there will be no marketing department or personnel.

Nor company.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Nor company.

You don't need a marketing department to have a successful company. Look at the guy who invented Sriracha. He refuses to have marketing people, or raising prices over time.

He also refuses to sell the company to people who only care about profit, and he's making a lot of money. All he wants to do is sell hot sauce to people who want hot sauce and he focuses on that. He doesn't even go after people for using the name Sriracha or his logo, calling it free advertising and constantly turns down lawyers offers to go after said people.

And it friggin works.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

You don't need a marketing department to have a successful company. Look at the guy who invented Sriracha. He refuses to have marketing people, or raising prices over time.

Look at Coca-Cola and their marketing budget.

Great, 1-1, are we done with anecdote time?

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Look at Coca-Cola and their marketing budget.

Great, 1-1, are we done with anecdote time?

My point is that it's possible to do.

You don't need to hire sociopaths to have a successful company.

Why is the release date not mentioned in the OP, it shows the severity of the issue. if the release is still a few days a way is bigger then the next few hours.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Why is the release date not mentioned in the OP, it shows the severity of the issue. if the release is still a few days a way is bigger then the next few hours.

Edited the OP. The date is te 17th of februari.

1 minute ago, Levisallanon said:

Edited the OP. The date is te 17th of februari.

Oh wow that's like 3 weeks, I think this can hurt rents/sales more then normal.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Oh wow that's like 3 weeks, I think this can hurt rents/sales more then normal.

Yup, that's why I'm curious about their reaction.

i HATE the movie theater experience id gladly pay more to download the movie and watch it at home i cant wait for it to die, and Disney with their bullying tactics like what they did with last jedi forcing small theater to keep it up longer if they want it i wont support that 

there is no reason at all for the delay other then greed, im not promoting pirating movies but they need to learn from the music industry and allow people to watch the movie how they want to 

1 hour ago, Levisallanon said:

This again leads into the debate that often the legal ways of watching the movie are so much more troublesome then the illegal ways that it's not weird people pirate these movies.

Its troublesome waiting a few weeks for a movie to be released? 

I wonder about peoples lives that are so unfulfilled that they need to resort to downloading unreleased movies a few weeks early... "So much content in the world, must get this Disney movie now.?"

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

6 minutes ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Its troublesome waiting a few weeks for a movie to be released? 

I wonder about peoples lives that are so unfulfilled that they need to resort to downloading unreleased movies a few weeks early... "So much content in the world, must get this Disney movie now.?"

good luck dodging spoilers ive still not seen last jedi but know the whole plot by now 

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

It's probably an attempt to boost ticket sales, people don't like to wait 4 months if they care about the movie.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's probably an attempt to boost ticket sales, people don't like to wait 4 months if they care about the movie.

But why wait even longer after it's out of the cinema?