G-Sync supports only Display port??? That's the worst joke ever!

OP made no sense.... Display port is the best  out of all the inputs,..... VGA is analog, so it sucks, HDMI is just trash, DVI is better than HDMI and VGA but not as good as display port.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

What?

1) 3D Vision over DisplayPort has been supported by Nvidia for a while.

2) Anand in his G-Sync review states that there's nothing technically stopping Nvidia from implementing G-Sync over HDMI/DVI, so we could see it in the future.  I mean, G-Sync is a Gen 1 product, its development doesn't stop here.

3) The monitor Linus gave an overview on is obviously not a production unit.  When that monitor actually hits, it will probably have the other connectors, G-Sync just won't be supported over those connectors at launch.

4) As others have stated, DisplayPort is far superior to HDMI and DVI anyway, especially as we approach a future of increasingly higher-resolution and higher-refresh-rate displays.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Why should they implment old standrads in a technology that is still basicly in development? Display port is the future and basicly every video card has at least one DP output, so why the rage?

EDIT: yayyy, 900th post :D

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Moving away from 3D, ARE YOU INSANE? Why? What is wrong with 3D? Gaming has to advance, not draw back to 2D. True, it's hard to play on 3D for a lot of people and can lead to headaches but why can't the ones who like it get even better quality and not having to go through tearing and stuttering because that is the most annoying when you play 3D, more than 2D gaming...Also, the other reason - 3D requires a LOT of power - takes off about 50% FPS on a game and yes you need a very high end, OCed to the maximum CPU and GPU to keep over 30 FPS (that's the main reason why I am waiting for a beast GPU like GTX 780 Ti K|ngp|n). G-sync can make the game seem like you are playing at very high frame rate (60) when you are actually playing around 30. So yes for 3D, G-Sync is a MUST. This is why G-Sync has to support DVI-I, DVI-D and DL DVI-D. Nvidia got their hands on the 3D technology and most people i've met who are crazy fans for Nvidia is just cuz of their 3D Vision technology...where AMD lacks with their tech - no textures like in Nvidia...Hope the mantle turns out great! 

And how do you think 3D would work using Display Port???

Linus, if you could give your opinion about gaming with 3D vision and what do you think about G-Sync being only on DP only, would help a lot! 

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Moving away from 3D, ARE YOU INSANE? Why? What is wrong with 3D? Gaming has to advance, not draw back to 2D. True, it's hard to play on 3D for a lot of people and can lead to headaches but why can't the ones who like it get even better quality and not having to go through tearing and stuttering because that is the most annoying when you play 3D, more than 2D gaming...Also, the other reason - 3D requires a LOT of power - takes off about 50% FPS on a game and yes you need a very high end, OCed to the maximum CPU and GPU to keep over 30 FPS (that's the main reason why I am waiting for a beast GPU like GTX 780 Ti K|ngp|n). G-sync can make the game seem like you are playing at very high frame rate (60) when you are actually playing around 30. So yes for 3D, G-Sync is a MUST. This is why G-Sync has to support DVI-I, DVI-D and DL DVI-D. Nvidia got their hands on the 3D technology and most people i've met who are crazy fans for Nvidia is just cuz of their 3D Vision technology...where AMD lacks with their tech - no textures like in Nvidia...Hope the mantle turns out great! 

Linus, if you could give your opinion about gaming with 3D vision and what do you think about G-Sync being only on DP only, would help a lot! 

What do you mean how would 3D work using DisplayPort?  There's no reason DisplayPort can't do anything that HDMI and DVI can do.  It's a full-featured display interface just like any other, and it's got far more bandwidth available than any other.

I agree that G-Sync will especially be a huge plus for 3D Vision gamers.  But I don't understand where your frustration with DisplayPort is coming from.

And no, G-Sync will not make 30FPS feel like 60.  It enables framerates in between 30 and 60 without tearing.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

There is a reason it only works with DisplayPort, the monitor and GPU need to coordinate, and DisplayPort has auxiliary data channels that can be used for basically whatever you want.  As far as I know the coordination between the monitor and GPU is not possible over DVI or HDMI as there is nothing in those standards to facilitate the communication.  The DVI and HDMI standards would have to be updated to include something that can support G-Sync.  The DVI standard is done with updates, and although HDMI could add it feasibly, considering HDMI 2.0 is just coming out now, it will be a while before we see the next revision of that.

Just like it would on DVI.  You do realize that the DisplayPort standard includes the DVI standard inside it, right?  Although you don't even need to bother adapting it to DVI at all, since 3D Vision supports DisplayPort natively in the first place.

how does one petition the department of mental illness to include 'love of hdmi over displayport' in their big book?

seriously, the ONLY argument for hdmi is that you have an hdmi cable but not a displayport cable.  just buy a freaking cable, they're like $20 max.

While I do agree that OP is pushing the boundaries of sanity with his hatred of DP, I can't say he's completely wrong. Right now, I'm running 2 monitors off my GTX 580 and I have been thinking about upgrading so I can finally play games across 3. Unfortunately, even the GTX 780TI only has one DisplayPort. With a dual DVI to DP adapter, that means I'm back down to two monitors MAX, and I think thats a load of crap. DP is definitely the future, but I can't see myself going anywhere near G sync until 3 monitors is possible off a single card.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

While I do agree that OP is pushing the boundaries of sanity with his hatred of DP, I can't say he's completely wrong. Right now, I'm running 2 monitors off my GTX 580 and I have been thinking about upgrading so I can finally play games across 3. Unfortunately, even the GTX 780TI only has one DisplayPort. With a dual DVI to DP adapter, that means I'm back down to two monitors MAX, and I think thats a load of crap. DP is definitely the future, but I can't see myself going anywhere near G sync until 3 monitors is possible off a single card.

pretty sure you can daisy chain display port. i might be wrong. if you can do it over thunderbolt, why not display port.

EDIT: yup, you can

BkvBlBS.jpg

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I thought you could use the IO ports on your secondary (or third/fourth) card in sli unlike in crossfire, in which case 3 way sli :D

pretty sure you can daisy chain display port. i might be wrong. if you can do it over thunderbolt, why not display port.

BkvBlBS.jpg

In that case, I take back what I said. OP is insane and I apologise for being misinformed.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Um.... TV had fixed frame rates, so I'm not sure what you're thinking.

Edit:

Ah, you want to use it for steam box?

Ok, sorry guys, but how can I trust DP when on every forum I go, people are like: "You need Dual Link DVI-D and an Nvidia card. That is the only way to get 3D from that monitor (VG248QE)." Does Nvidia state somewhere that both -  DP and DL DVI-D - are supported connections for 120 Hz LCD 3D monitors?? I only see people saying is that AMD actually uses DP for their HD3D and Nvidia is with DL DVI-D. 

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Ok, sorry guys, but how can I trust DP when on every forum I go, people are like: "You need Dual Link DVI-D and an Nvidia card. That is the only way to get 3D from that monitor (VG248QE)." Does Nvidia state somewhere that both -  DP and DL DVI-D - are supported connections for 120 Hz LCD 3D monitors?? I only see people saying is that AMD actually uses DP for their HD3D and Nvidia is with DL DVI-D. 

"Every other forum" must not know what they are talking about. Display Port is basically the successor to DVI, so anything you expect your DVI connection to do—Display Port can do better.

The reason Nvidia is using Display Port is because – as stated earlier by Glenwig – the GPU needs to talk to the monitor, and only Display Port can really do that as it can send auxiliary data and instructions. 

Cheers,

Linus

Dp is the best, so why make a big deal out of it?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

BkvBlBS.jpg

Technically you can, but in practical use that options usually isn't available.  Very few monitors have a DisplayPort Out port for chaining more monitors.  You could use a multi-stream splitter but as far as I know there is only 1 in existence and it only sells in Europe.  And it's like a 100 pounds or something stupid like that.

Why wouldn't you use display port? I honestly can't think of one reason not to.

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Why wouldn't you use display port? I honestly can't think of one reason not to.

Well maybe it's just me...Cuz a lot say that DVI is the only way of 3D in Nvidia that's why i didn't really think about display port. I didn't know that DP can do the same as DVI, and the way I see the cable thin like a HDMI, I was like "there's no chance for that to run a 3D"... Misunderstanding, sorry. I underestimated technology  :D Oh well, if it really works, then I am fine - 3D and G-Sync will be great together, it is just the problem that I have to OC my CPU and GPU to keep around 30+ FPS on most resourceful games when using 3D Vision...

Technically you can, but in practical use that options usually isn't available.  Very few monitors have a DisplayPort Out port for chaining more monitors.  You could use a multi-stream splitter but as far as I know there is only 1 in existence and it only sells in Europe.  And it's like a 100 pounds or something stupid like that.

there are many display port splitters, but they are expensive, but if you're buying expensive gsync monitors to run 3d and surround with a computer to support it, 100 dollars is nothing.