Are these laptops trends in 2018 really what you expect ?

Go to solution Solved by Ivy**,

@Ryujin2003 So I made some change of my post, lol. 

On 2018/1/21 at 2:13 PM, suicidalfranco said:

another year no laptop for me

Good to know,lol. 

On 2018/1/22 at 1:09 AM, I_AM_JOERY said:

Are you excited to see what laptops will come out with Intel chipsets and AMD graphics ?

No I don't. The thickness of a device is something I do not care about, I care about performance.

So what do you think of a gaming laptop with 20 plus hours battery life ?

I do not need 20hrs. There is power outlets everywhere and I always have an extension cord in my laptop bag.

Or a laptop that's powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 with LTE connection ?

Snapdragons on a laptop are shit..

Or you prefer ARM-powered laptops instead ?

No this is what tablets are for.

No need for 4g or 5g on laptops. we have wifi all over the country in Belgium.

No need for super thin laptops.. If you need one like those buy a Macbook.

No need for big battery only thing that a big battery gives is lower performance.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thought here . 

On 2018/1/22 at 3:42 AM, bimmerman said:

I am the converse. Thin light and battery  life are the critical features of a laptop for me, and things like 4k resolution and gaming performance are utterly irrelevant because they ruin battery life. That's not to say performance is irrelevant-- my laptop has a Kaby Lake Xeon and a Quadro. Those are necessary tools for my work and they fit in a small form factor laptop that is amazing for travel and working without outlets.

I use a laptop to get paid. I have a desktop to game on when the mood strikes. Very different set of requirements and needs, so I'm glad to see the market continue to offer svelte powerful machines instead of lumbering behemoths.

I like the enhanced battery life as well, with more than 20 hours to stay connected, it would really help a lot, especially on the go. 

On 2018/1/22 at 12:01 PM, BuckGup said:

I still find a macbook much more appealing though. They are just way too exspensive

Couldn't agree more, I love the design of it very much. 

On 2018/1/22 at 12:35 PM, Yoinkerman said:

I think I want a ryzen/vega apu this year

How good are they ?

On 2018/1/22 at 10:27 AM, themctipers said:

give me a laptop that has 20 hours of screen on time while using chrome watching youtube in windows 10, with brightness at ~80-100%

that is what a ultrabook should be, not a thin and light but 3 hours of battery bullshit laptop.

id like to see more laptops with MX150 instead of intel + amd together, or at least high end intel iris inside ultra shit CPUs

Lol, so performance is all you after in a laptop. 

On 2018/1/22 at 12:28 PM, Damascus said:

I like how the ARM laptops are looking, 20 hours and being able to play muh roguelikes are all I need from a laptop.

Maybe something more powerful would be required to cast my desktop, that's pretty important as well.

The ARM laptops from HP, ASUS and Lenove are pretty much familiar with each other .

Let's hope that we all have what we want in year 2018 ! 

4 hours ago, Ivy** said:

Lol, so performance is all you after in a laptop. 

i7 8550u is trash

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

14 hours ago, Ivy** said:

How good are they ?

Better than my 1st gen amd quad core and Radeon dual gfx from 2010

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I honestly don't like thin'n'light laptops, if I could get a laptop that has great battery life(preferably 8+ hours), performs well, and has a wide range of I/O.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Give me a laptop with a trackpad on par with apples (including the fantastic gestures mac os supports) and I'll be interested.

I've tried so many different laptops over the year and the only laptop that doesn't make me wanna plug in a mouse is macbooks. 

15 hours ago, Ivy** said:

I like the enhanced battery life as well, with more than 20 hours to stay connected, it would really help a lot, especially on the go. 

Can ARM based laptops run proper MS Office and programs compiled for x86 CPUs? So long as they can, natively, then I have no issue with an ARM laptop. If they can't, they're useless to the majority of enterprise and business customers.

8 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Give me a laptop with a trackpad on par with apples (including the fantastic gestures mac os supports) and I'll be interested.

I've tried so many different laptops over the year and the only laptop that doesn't make me wanna plug in a mouse is macbooks. 

Then you know what you really need until finding a replacement. 

Are you excited to see what laptops will come out with Intel chipsets and AMD graphics?

> Yeah, competition is always good. Let's see if they can work on the efficiency too. I have tried a RX580 powered laptop and the battery life is really atrocious, which at that point you might as well just buy a desktop.

> 20 seems far fetched without sacrificing portability, which is again the point of having a laptop. There are workstation laptops with 15-20 hrs battery life, but you need a brick sized battery and power adapter.

> Not powerful enough for my use so I'm not interested. LTE would be nice for workstations, as with those I avoid public WiFi unless there's no choice.

Or you prefer ARM-powered laptops instead?

> No

I want the trend to head more towards the original HP Elitebook and Probooks. No thrills, just a good looking well built laptop that can perform and has the ability to change every single component out. Also the option for a 70Wh primary battery and ability to attach a 100Wh secondary as well. I am personally not a fan of these laptops that have severe lack of end user serviceability. However these are just my opinions and to each their own.

19 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

I've had a similar experience with laptops, but I prefer ThinkPads to MacBook trackpads.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

To me, I hope there is someone that makes an inch or a little thicker laptop with a Ryzen 5 2500U and a huge battery, with a 13-14 inch screen and 8-16 gigs of RAM, and a M.2 slot with a 2.5 inch HDD/SSD slot. Wishful thinking, but someone might do it.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

14 hours ago, DrDerp said:

To me, I hope there is someone that makes an inch or a little thicker laptop with a Ryzen 5 2500U and a huge battery, with a 13-14 inch screen and 8-16 gigs of RAM, and a M.2 slot with a 2.5 inch HDD/SSD slot. Wishful thinking, but someone might do it.

Haha, it's always good to know what you are after .

You know where's a good platform for your idea to be heard ? Go to Indiegogo or kickstarter and see who else out there is interested in backing your idea .

14 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've had a similar experience with laptops, but I prefer ThinkPads to MacBook trackpads.

Haven' tried the 2 pads that you mentioned, but great to know the alternatives,lol. 

On 2018/1/24 at 2:51 PM, 7nationarmy said:

Are you excited to see what laptops will come out with Intel chipsets and AMD graphics?

> Yeah, competition is always good. Let's see if they can work on the efficiency too. I have tried a RX580 powered laptop and the battery life is really atrocious, which at that point you might as well just buy a desktop.

> 20 seems far fetched without sacrificing portability, which is again the point of having a laptop. There are workstation laptops with 15-20 hrs battery life, but you need a brick sized battery and power adapter.

> Not powerful enough for my use so I'm not interested. LTE would be nice for workstations, as with those I avoid public WiFi unless there's no choice.

Or you prefer ARM-powered laptops instead? 

> No

Thanks for giving feedback. 

Yes,I would agree, there's always compromise and sacrifice being made to meet the end game.

Good to know Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 powered machine are less powerful than expected.

On 2018/1/24 at 3:08 PM, Dylanc1500 said:

I want the trend to head more towards the original HP Elitebook and Probooks. No thrills, just a good looking well built laptop that can perform and has the ability to change every single component out. Also the option for a 70Wh primary battery and ability to attach a 100Wh secondary as well. I am personally not a fan of these laptops that have severe lack of end user serviceability. However these are just my opinions and to each their own.

You seem to know very well about what you need, hopefully they can hear what you pray for and actually make it happen,lol. 

On 1/25/2018 at 3:26 AM, Ivy** said:

You seem to know very well about what you need, hopefully they can hear what you pray for and actually make it happen,lol. 

One can only hope lol.

On 1/23/2018 at 4:47 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I honestly don't like thin'n'light laptops, if I could get a laptop that has great battery life(preferably 8+ hours), performs well, and has a wide range of I/O.

I own a T460s for work and an old G74SX that I was using when I was always on the road. Pretty much the opposite from one to to the other. The G74SX was nice to have to play games but I'll never get something that big again, even if I need to be away from home for a long time. It's far too heavy and takes a lot of place in my luggage but hey, it had good firepower 5 years ago! I still use it from time to time to do YouTube livefeeds on it.

My T460s, on the other hand, could have a better battery but the form factor is ideal for whatever I do these days, especially when I have to stand in a server closet with nothing to put my laptop on. I don't really need more than an i5/12GB/960 Pro SSD for every day use. I got 2 docking stations I use at home and at the office hooked to 3 monitors on each setup when I need a bit more real estate. The only issue is that gaming on it is not really an option but I mostly play Cities: Skylines, StarCraft or Diablo these days and I don't mind putting everything in low settings on my work laptop.

Ultrabooks are enough for me as long as I/O are suffecient.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

1 hour ago, Tribalinius said:

I own a T460s for work and an old G74SX that I was using when I was always on the road. Pretty much the opposite from one to to the other. The G74SX was nice to have to play games but I'll never get something that big again, even if I need to be away from home for a long time. It's far too heavy and takes a lot of place in my luggage but hey, it had good firepower 5 years ago! I still use it from time to time to do YouTube livefeeds on it.

My T460s, on the other hand, could have a better battery but the form factor is ideal for whatever I do these days, especially when I have to stand in a server closet with nothing to put my laptop on. I don't really need more than an i5/12GB/960 Pro SSD for every day use. I got 2 docking stations I use at home and at the office hooked to 3 monitors on each setup when I need a bit more real estate. The only issue is that gaming on it is not really an option but I mostly play Cities: Skylines, StarCraft or Diablo these days and I don't mind putting everything in low settings on my work laptop.

Ultrabooks are enough for me as long as I/O are suffecient.

I was looking at the ThinkPad P50. Wide range of I/O, still a very capable gaming machine while being a workhorse.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:50 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I was looking at the ThinkPad P50. Wide range of I/O, still a very capable gaming machine while being a workhorse.

Granted we're comparing apples to oranges here, we're not in the same price bracket. I did not check PSREF but I would imagine a fully decked out P50/P51 must be in the 3000-4000 CAD$ range, while a T460s, in the current configuration I have was something like 1600 CAD$. I/O wise, I seem to only lack Thunderbolt and a USB port compared to a ThinkPad P but it's clearly not the same firepower and clearly not designed for the same target audience :). For a 15.6" laptop, it's massive and bulky but it packs a punch that an ultrabook does not have yet.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB