Macbook Pro Retina heat?

flamer7

Hey there guys I would just like to ask, why is it when I use my laptop on my table, for normal youtube usage, the bottom does not heat up, but once I bring it around, just say my living room and sit on a couch watch videos, it heats up way more?

Hey there guys I would just like to ask, why is it when I use my laptop on my table, for normal youtube usage, the bottom does not heat up, but once I bring it around, just say my living room and sit on a couch watch videos, it heats up way more?

It's because when you have it on a table the ports are open and the air can move freely through it. So it can stay cooler. However when you sit down with it on your lap some ports will be blocked and the air won't flow as easily. Also you are insulating it a bit too.

It shouldn't be much of a problem apart from being uncomfortable. If you are concerned about the heat then just get a monitoring app and see how hot it gets. During gaming my MacBook air gets up to 94 degrees. Its not ideal but they are designed to get hot. 

well firstly where do you put your pc when you are on the couch? do you use it for anything besides movie watching? exactly where does it get hot?

also what material is your table made out of?

if you have it on your lap or in the couch it could just be bad ventilation causing it, as you might be blocking it.

It's because when you have it on a table the ports are open and the air can move freely through it. So it can stay cooler. However when you sit down with it on your lap some ports will be blocked and the air won't flow as easily. Also you are insulating it a bit too.

It shouldn't be much of a problem apart from being uncomfortable. If you are concerned about the heat then just get a monitoring app and see how hot it gets. During gaming my MacBook air gets up to 94 degrees. Its not ideal but they are designed to get hot. 

But I dont block the vents at all

well firstly where do you put your pc when you are on the couch? do you use it for anything besides movie watching? exactly where does it get hot?

also what material is your table made out of?

if you have it on your lap or in the couch it could just be bad ventilation causing it...

I hold it vertically so nothing is blocked below. Just movie watching. It gets hot on the top part underneath, and the table is made of wood.

But I dont block the vents at all

You may not directly but the air flow is still restricted. If you place it on a book you may notice a difference.

You may not directly but the air flow is still restricted. If you place it on a book you may notice a difference.

I hold it vertically so nothing is blocked below

I hold it vertically so nothing is blocked below

The retina macbook has vents on the side as well as the back. Trust me its nothing to worry about unless it starts getting really hot, like overheating. They are designed like that. 

well .. i was kinda expecting you to say glass, regardless, it's probably just restricted ventilation or the heat accumulating if you have close to any part of your body, im sure you don't hold the macbook vertically and away from your body or couch the entire time.