Overwatch League Opinions

Nocte
1 hour ago, Whiskers said:

What else could they have done, though? A mere slap on the wrist would seem inconsequential, his behaviour was out of line and he needed to face some kind of consequence for it. It's a shame for Dallas Fuel but I don't think there was another option. If they'd have kept him on in the team and let him keep competing he'd have continued generating negative publicity not only for Dallas Fuel but the Overwatch League (and by association Blizzard) too, and that would arguably have done a lot more harm in the long term.

That is a fair point and I do agree with that. I do recognise that he could have done more harm to their image, but I hoped that he would learn - but I guess 2 infringements was enough for them.

1 hour ago, Whiskers said:

People who want to play the game should be free to do so without needing to face an onslaught of personal attacks and insults. Comments like "learn to play" and "uninstall" are insults, criticising the player for their performance and trying to make them feel bad; it's fine for friendly banter between friends, but when flippantly shouted at people you don't know it's definitely negative behaviour. Why should it be allowed, and why shouldn't people be expected to use a bit of self control and not act like a dick towards other players? By allowing that type of behaviour you're saying it's acceptable, and if you're saying it's acceptable you're only encouraging it to proliferate throughout the community.

I am not saying that that type of behaviour should be allowed. But at the same time I feel like they are trying to over-do it to a certain extent - or they are tackling it in the wrong way like you said in your previous post.

I definitely don't enjoy being shouted at or being called out, but I simply use the ignore feature that the game provides. While it's not a perfect solution, I doubt that Blizzard is going to force politeness among all of its playerbase. I see them rolling out updates to the report system and/or being more severe with bans, but it is not fixing the situation. Hence, why I do not like how they are handling toxicity in their game right now.

I also put some of the blame on the players who are offended (which is the part you disagree with I guess) as they can just ignore others. But I can understand that some people may be more easily offended than others. With this I do not mean that they should "toughen up", but I am just saying that I do not comprehend it on a subjective level.

I hope I clarified my position on this, as I was (am) scared that you thought I was pro-homophobic/racist comments from your first post.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

• 1 month later...

Xtremely Questionable Conduct (thanks hosts) sums it all up for me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20.1.2018 at 5:43 AM, Eibe said:

What do you think about OWL and its future?

How do you think it will affect the eSports industry and culture?

I have high hopes for it, I see it as a huge investment made by Blizzard to try and give more visibility to eSports by replicating profit maximising league models that are utilised by the NBA and such. 

They managed to create fanbases based on territory, though my only rant is the lack of European clubs, with only London Spitfire representing a European city. Hopefully, this will lead to a larger interest in eSports.

What are your thoughts on this?

For what team do you root? :)

Aces High

It fun in my opinion and Shanghai Dragons all the way 

well and i like la Gladiators as well

I'm all in favor of the players and commentators, but the viewing experience of OWL is plain awful.

* The speed is too fast and dizzying for casual viewers
* The camera angles are bad because they often choose to place the POV on heroes which aren't directly engaged in the team fight
* The video quality on streaming websites is terrible.  1080p looks like 480p.  Wouldn't a major event like this be able to pay Twitch to get a higher bitrate?  This is like an elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

2 minutes ago, minervx said:

The video quality on streaming websites is terrible.  1080p looks like 480p.

Are you sure you are downloading at 1080p though?

I get 1080p and it looks like, also because they have some 9k bitrate or something lol. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304