Nvidia asks retailers to stop selling gpu's to miners

sarfraz
30 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

Nvidia is asking its retail partners to limit the maximum number of GPU sales to two per person.

Would this make a difference though?  All you have to do is create a new account.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

funny story
the other day I went to canada computers, a guy walked off with 18 1080ti's
with over 1000 on order.

wtf? seriously? all the rich folks plan on investing in this now.. and keep us out to dry.. nothing new (whistles away)

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Would this make a difference though?  All you have to do is create a new account.

lol i thought the exact same thing. it wouldnt stop shit

9 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

funny story
the other day I went to canada computers, a guy walked off with 18 1080ti's
with over 1000 on order.

Your profile pic is the perfect reaction for this.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I know I sound like a dick for saying this, and maybe I am, but I hope cryptocurrency crashes.  All it's done is create drama and ruin tech prices.

Just like every past bubble, I think it will burst.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Mining-focused GPUs aren't going to impact the unavailability of gaming GPUs. Miners will buy the mining ones and then proceed to purchase the gaming cards. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Mining-focused GPUs aren't going to impact the unavailability of gaming GPUs. Miners will buy the mining ones and then proceed to purchase the gaming cards. 

Furthermore, the issue is not being able to produce enough GPUs to meet the needs of both miners and gamers.. Putting those GPUs on mining-specific cards isn't going to magically change anything about how many GPUs you can manufacture.......

4 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Furthermore, the issue is not being able to produce enough GPUs to meet the needs of both miners and gamers.. Putting those GPUs on mining-specific cards isn't going to magically change anything about how many GPUs you can manufacture.......

I thought the problem was AIB partners not requesting enough GPU from both AMD and Nvidia.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I thought the problem was AIB partners not requesting enough GPU from both AMD and Nvidia.

I find that pretty hard to believe. Even going back as far as RoG Rig Reboot we had vendor reps joking about how promoting 1080 Tis for that contest was madness since no one could even keep them in stock or get enough of them :P

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Hell, there isn't even much of an incentive for miners to buy any of the mining cards. Most of them don't feature display outputs and don't have much of a use outside of gaming, so the secondhand market on them wouldn't exactly be filled with demand if the major currencies on the crypto market crash or ASICs take over (though as I understand it, the current crop of cryptocurrencies is ASIC-resistant).

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

I find that pretty hard to believe. Even going back as far as RoG Rig Reboot we had vendor reps joking about how promoting 1080 Tis for that contest was madness since no one could even keep them in stock or get enough of them :P

And even if that was the issue, wouldn't DRAM shortages just come back to bite our collective rears?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

36 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

well one can only hope for the best

Dude nvidia sells truckloads of reference coolers to miners directly.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Nvidia made mining focused cards but they dont have display ports, therefore the resell value will be low and it cannot be used for other shit

22 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I know I sound like a dick for saying this, and maybe I am, but I hope cryptocurrency crashes.  All it's done is create drama and ruin tech prices.

Just like every past bubble, I think it will burst.

That won't stop the memory shortage that already happened. The only tech prices that have gone up recently are graphics cards and DDR4 memory.

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

That won't stop the memory shortage that already happened. The only tech prices that have gone up recently are graphics cards and DDR4 memory.

I know that.  But two overpriced components (RAM and SSD's) are better than three.

4 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

And ssds, sshdds and everything else using nand (including gpus)

I know that.  But two overpriced components (RAM and SSD's) are better than three.

GPU's are massively reliant on RAM as well, if 16 gb of ddr4 has octupled in price the same applies to gddr5/x as it all comes from the same fans

11 minutes ago, Damascus said:

And ssds, sshdds and everything else using nand (including gpus)

GPU's are massively reliant on RAM as well, if 16 gb of ddr4 has octupled in price the same applies to gddr5/x as it all comes from the same fans

Yes, I know there are other factors.  But cryptocurrency is a huge part of it.  You can't deny that.  If mining didn't exist, prices would be manageable.  GTX 1060's wouldn't be averaging at $500, and RX 580's at $600.

The VRAM shortage is relatively new though, and didn't appear until cryptomining became huge.

Yes, I know there are other factors.  But cryptocurrency is a huge part of it.  You can't deny that.  If mining didn't exist, prices would be manageable.  GTX 1060's wouldn't be averaging at $500.

I don't know about that.  Even without the mining craze were in the dead center of the worst time to buy gpus.

Manufacturers make the bare minimum of cards possible as they don't want to have any Pascal stock when Volta hits shelves

The largest buying time (christmas) just passed, further depleting stock

Nand is insanely expensive

Miners are the reason it costs fools more on the second hand market and it's the reason lower tier sellers (like neweggs associated stores or amazon stores that aren't actually Amazon) are overcharging.

Look at the prices actual stores are charging, often very close to MSRP.

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Nand is insanely expensive

Not all NAND is equal.  The VRAM shortage only happened because of cryptocurrency.  DRAM and SSD's didn't increase at the same time either.

I don't know how things are in Canada, but prices at stores here are just as high.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Not all NAND is equal.  The VRAM shortage only happened because of cryptocurrency.  DRAM and SSD's didn't increase at the same time either.

Not all nand is equal but if we believe the GN video manufacturers have seen $20-30 more cost for RMA per gpu.  Thats massive and will definitely hurt the consumers wallet.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I don't know how things are in Canada, but prices at stores here are just as high.

If you get in on restock day you can probably walk out with a brand new gpu at msrp.  

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

If you get in on restock day you can probably walk out with a brand new gpu at msrp.  

That's not possible here.  I'd rather not reveal my location online, but where I live the only brick and mortar stores remaining that sell electronics are Walmart and Best Buy.

That's not possible here.  I'd rather not reveal my location online, but where I live the only brick and mortar stores remaining that sell electronics are Walmart and Best Buy.

Try best buy actually, they are surprisingly decent on occasion

15 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Try best buy actually, they are surprisingly decent on occasion

I check them regularly.  Their prices change at the same rate as everyone else.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

I check them regularly.  Their prices change at the same rate as everyone else.

Bummer

Is there not a way for GPU companies to increase production?  They can't possibly be under full production load this long after launch.

This issue with mining cards, as covered in Mining Adventure Part 2 is that since mining cards don't have display outputs, they can't be resold as for gamers, taking a lot of money off the miner's profit.