Nvidia asks retailers to stop selling gpu's to miners

sarfraz
On 1/20/2018 at 3:22 AM, sarfraz said:

This news is good for gamers. 

Boris Böhles – NVIDIA ( Translated from German to English )
For NVIDIA, gamers come first. All activities related to our GeForce product line are targeted at our main audience. To ensure that GeForce gamers continue to have good GeForce graphics card availability in the current situation, we recommend that our trading partners make the appropriate arrangements to meet gamers’ needs as usual. 

Complete article:- https://wccftech.com/nvidia-instructs-retailers-stop-selling-miners-sell-gamers/

Seems good in theory but logistically how are they to determine who is a miner and who is a gamer

1 minute ago, Pangea2017 said:

They "ask" the sellers to only sell two cards per customer and most large seller have followed this request.

I suppose that works hardly anyone still runs a triple SLI setup yes?

2 hours ago, Tcrumpen said:

I suppose that works hardly anyone still runs a triple SLI setup yes?

Nvidia only suggests a 2 way SLI, which is why they limited it to 2 per customer on launch.

5 hours ago, hyperj123 said:

2. A poor excuse to not ramp up manufacturing

The factory is at capacity. Do people not understand that. And no Nvida cant just pull a factory out of there ass. A lot of though goes in to where to put a factory and they have to look at costs. FAB's are expensive. AMD found that out first hand in the early 2000's. Which is why AMD no longer fabricates any of its chips. Plus it can take months if not over a year to build a new factory, so the problem wont be fixed in the short term. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, hyperj123 said:

This statement is two things:
1. A PR move
2. A poor excuse to not ramp up manufacturing

Im sick of these idiotic comments. 

1. PR for what. So they can sell more of what they cant already produce fast enough?

2. So spend millions building a new factories when volta is right around the corner so there are all these production lines that will not be used in a few month? Companies cant just spit factories out their ass like its nothing. 

That story makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine while it's underwater.  It's a nice sentiment, and if people actually gave two sideways farts, they'd heed the request, but in this day and age, where mining is at a crazy pace right now, it's not going to stop any time soon.  Even some 900 series cards are hard to find as well unless you want to pay scalper rates.

I imagine as soon as Volta (or whatever they call it) comes out, they'll get snapped up just as fast as the Vega cards did at launch - shades of a ghost town, anyone?  The other side too is, sales are sales, and as long as the money is rolling in , the stockholders in companies like NVidia and AMD won't care at all, and just sing all the way to the bank, despite any of their protests to the contrary to placate the gaming and PC building community.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

And how do they suspect they differentiate between who is a miner and not?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

On 1/23/2018 at 10:26 AM, mynameisjuan said:

Im sick of these idiotic comments. 

1. PR for what. So they can sell more of what they cant already produce fast enough?

2. So spend millions building a new factories when volta is right around the corner so there are all these production lines that will not be used in a few month? Companies cant just spit factories out their ass like its nothing. 

You can call my comment idiotic but a PR move doesn't just mean to move more product. Basically a PR move can also remove the blame off of the manufacturer because they said "Eh we asked them to stop selling to miners, but they won't listen so it's out of our hands now." It basically shifts the blame off of them instead of them taking responsibility. 

On 1/20/2018 at 9:07 AM, Hiya! said:

The problem is.

How did u knew which are miner and which are not?

They have 2 GPUs per user limit

2 hours ago, huskyhunter47 said:

Invite your friends,Buy from another store,or use amazon or newegg

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

• 3 weeks later...

I personally like the miners driving up prices. I just sold 2 evga 1070 ftw's I paid about $415 (pre tax) for. I just sold them for 950 each for a nice $1900 bucks. I then turned around and purchased a 1080ti ftw3 off of evga for $815 then dropped another 125 for a custom water block. So now I have a 1080ti with custom block I spent 950ish (pretax) on and another 950 in the bank. So I basically got paid to buy that 1080t. My original cost was $830 so after buying the card I made a $120 profit over what I initially invested in the cards.

Now moving on to my next project. I currently have about 15-17 480-580's that I am mining away with. Yes, they did require a decent investment initially, but they literally paid for themselves in only 5  months (including electricity cost). So now it is nothing but PURE profit and honestly I might buy another 3-5 cards in the next month or so. 

On average I make around $29 a day after power costs. about $880/m. So after buying up these cards at msrp where I can, purchasing them on the cheap from ebay/craiglists... I am probably about 4k into them.  4000/880 = 4.5/m.

So this year I will make 6k from them, next year if the market stays constant and I don't add another card.. I will take home about 10.8k.

Honestly, I think I will probably use my profit each month to buy another 2-3 cards and scale up until I hit close to 60+ a day. The biggest challenge is space, but after you learn how to build a nice rolling machine rack with risers... it gets a lot more manageable. Just throw them in a basement so you don't hear them running and to keep them cool and let them mine away.

So the bottom line. As a gamer I benefited greatly from the price hikes. As a miner I am making decent money on the side for no effort outside of initial setup and a investment in hardware.

3 minutes ago, Juvel said:

How do they know who is a miner and who is not a miner?

Generally the miner is the guy trying to buy 15 graphics cards at a time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Gamers dont buy 10+ gpus for personal use. They mine or resell them.

On 1/26/2018 at 10:07 PM, huskyhunter47 said:

Which is non enforcable (meaning just bring along your family and friends to buy) and is a gimmick. Its a psychological ploy that gives the message to the consumer that this product is in high demand, and/or that there is limited stock of the product and that they should buy 2 instead of one.

I just wish retailers would just think about the gamers first & not the miners...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

5 minutes ago, Deon7Dust said:

I just wish retailers would just think about the gamers first & not the miners...

Well they could reserve a few gpu's for in house builds that they sell on the showroom floor.

Thats about all they can do buddy.

Its not in their best interest to hold back guarunteed sales. Besides that point, they wouldnt really know if ones a gamer or ones a miner. Maybe gamer just wants SLI. And if a miner comes up and buys 10 gpu's why would the store not sell them.

In my city some stores have a limitation of 1 video card and 1 power supply (more than 700w) per purchase.