Nvidia asks retailers to stop selling gpu's to miners

sarfraz

This news is good for gamers. 

Boris Böhles – NVIDIA ( Translated from German to English )
For NVIDIA, gamers come first. All activities related to our GeForce product line are targeted at our main audience. To ensure that GeForce gamers continue to have good GeForce graphics card availability in the current situation, we recommend that our trading partners make the appropriate arrangements to meet gamers’ needs as usual. 

Complete article:- https://wccftech.com/nvidia-instructs-retailers-stop-selling-miners-sell-gamers/

From a business standpoint, this is fucking stupid, for a few reasons.

The most of which is that they're denying sales to a market that also has a use for GPUs.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Canada EH said:

How do they know who is a miner and who is not a miner?

they could  make it so you can only buy so many

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Just now, Vernw3 said:

yeah but you could just say, I am putting these in SLI

Or the customer just brings along his friends and family.

Again it is FAKE NEWS!

Didn't they try to do something with hardware or software that prevented, or otherwise discouraged GPU mining a while back?

Edit: Oh wait, they bundled games to increase the price...

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Edit: Oh wait, they bundled games to increase the price...

Good, thats what they should do then. Better to get a Steam gift card.

What? that is just absurd.

Yep not going to believe in it

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

3 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

Yeah that didn't exactly work the last time retailers tried it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

well most stores now have limited or they have one gpu will cost the normal price but buy 2 or more and you have to pay 10k for each gpu 

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The most of which is that they're denying sales to a market that also has a use for GPUs.

It really isn't 'Fucking Stupid', you're just short sighted.  In the short term, sure, sales are sales as far as nVidia is concerned.  But large companies like this aren't purely operating in the short term, they are running a long game and building their brand names and the recognition of those brands is critical to that.

Mining eating up sales and making GPU units more scarce can and will push consumers to other options.  Since AMD is also getting hit, the most likely move is to NOT upgrade at all.  This leads to game devs considering 'the state of the market's hardware' and if it's been stunted, they won't develop games to better utilize next generation hardware because too few are buying into that hardware.  So a year or two from now you could have your flagship 'GTX 1180' or 'GTX 1280' that too few own.  So now you have the demand from mining dropping off and consumers are like 'Should I upgrade to the NEW GPU now that it's affordable?' and so many people and tech channels and everything else will be all 'Probably not, game GPU demand has patented for three years.  Your 3 year old GPU is basically just as good as it was new.  Maybe wait another year for devs to get more aggressive again?'  A scenario like that, in the long term, is BAD for the plan.  ...You just have to think beyond 'right now' before you declare it 'fucking stupid'.

12 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's just lip service to pacify angry gamers/system builders.   They don't care and won't actually ask anything of retailer (not that they can legally anyway).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It really isn't 'Fucking Stupid', you're just short sighted.  In the short term, sure, sales are sales as far as nVidia is concerned.  But large companies like this aren't purely operating in the short term, they are running a long game and building their brand names and the recognition of those brands is critical to that.

Mining eating up sales and making GPU units more scarce can and will push consumers to other options.  Since AMD is also getting hit, the most likely move is to NOT upgrade at all.  This leads to game devs considering 'the state of the market's hardware' and if it's been stunted, they won't develop games to better utilize next generation hardware because too few are buying into that hardware.  So a year or two from now you could have your flagship 'GTX 1180' or 'GTX 1280' that too few own.  So now you have the demand from mining dropping off and consumers are like 'Should I upgrade to the NEW GPU now that it's affordable?' and so many people and tech channels and everything else will be all 'Probably not, game GPU demand has patented for three years.  Your 3 year old GPU is basically just as good as it was new.  Maybe wait another year for devs to get more aggressive again?'  A scenario like that, in the long term, is BAD for the plan.  ...You just have to think beyond 'right now' before you declare it 'fucking stupid'.

The problem is.

How did u knew which are miner and which are not?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, Hiya! said:

I don't recall saying ANYTHING about weather such an initiative would be very EFFECTIVE.

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

The problem is.

You ask.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

I don't recall saying ANYTHING about weather such an initiative would be very EFFECTIVE.

waa?

hhhh nevermind -__-

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

You ask.

I liked to buy 4 Rx 580.

Are u a miner sir?

No i am not.

$1950 in total enjoy your 4way crossfire.

Thank you.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

19 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

Complete PR bullshit, just like AMD saying gamers are important then releasing the mining optimized drive

Really don't care about the GPU stuff too much, Ryzen APUs will soon be upon us and should save gamers looking to get into PC gaming

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?