No POST, fans don't spin but DVD drive and LEDs work

Go to solution Solved by Tundral,
9 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

I got it working again.

• Left it unplugged over night
  • Used a different power cord
  • Unplugged the modular 24pin cable from the PSU and plugged them back in

Must have been one of those things.

Most likely the 24pin being loose on the PSU side, since everything else got power.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Alright so I don't know what to do anymore. Maybe someone here is able to help me fix this.

I shut the PC down and now it won't boot. When I press the power button (or short the pins on the mainboard) the case LEDs turn on (NZXT Hue), the disc drive will open and close normally, but nothing else happens. The fans don't spin up, motherboard LEDs don't light up. It seems like some weird sleep mode (or broken PSU or mainboard) I tried clearing the CMOS... didn't help. What else can I try?

Edit: I also tried unplugging the 24pin and 8pin connector and plugging them back in.

If you have the ability to make sure the PSU isn't the problem (which considering it's a supernova 750W wouldn't be a likely culprit) I'd start with that.

If it doesn't boot with a definitely good PSU either then I'd say it's most likely a dead motherboard

You could also try taking out the GPU but that probs won't help anything

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

14 minutes ago, Tundral said:

If you have the ability to make sure the PSU isn't the problem (which considering it's a supernova 750W wouldn't be a likely culprit) I'd start with that.

If it doesn't boot with a definitely good PSU either then I'd say it's most likely a dead motherboard

You could also try taking out the GPU but that probs won't help anything

That would be my next steps. I can try a different PSU but that would require me to remove the PSU from my other PC. Which would be quite annoying so I'm gonna try that as a last resort. And yeah.. it's an EVGA Supernova G2, so quite a good PSU actually.

I kind of suspect the mainboard to be the culprit too.

Edit: The PSU fans does spin up btw....

If you have a PC beep speaker plugged into the motherboard, you can do the most basic test:

Leave only: CPU, Heatsink, 24pin and 4/8pin power. No gpu no ram.

This should give a long shrill tone (memory error) if it does not. Suspect board powersupply or chip (I would start with PSU, then board).

9 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

I got it working again.

• Left it unplugged over night
  • Used a different power cord
  • Unplugged the modular 24pin cable from the PSU and plugged them back in

Must have been one of those things.

Most likely the 24pin being loose on the PSU side, since everything else got power.

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

1 hour ago, Tundral said:

Yeah, seems like the most likely explanation but how did it get loose when the PC wasn't moved at all for at least half a year and everything worked fine before?

20 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Yeah, seems like the most likely explanation but how did it get loose when the PC wasn't moved at all for at least half a year and everything worked fine before?

These are the true mysteries of life

Main rig:

Secondary rig: