LAN party and Minecraft server

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Hey guys! I planning to host a LAN party next week.(In my Farm House). Well,i will call 5-8 friends excluding me (total=9.May be my dad ill also join us :) ).So i want a good 10 port switch. 

And, i also have to make a mini-itx pc. i have 6 days left for it now.I 'm a noob and don't know anything about LAN parties. So,i'l just check it out on youtube. But,where do i start? Where do i end? What all things do i need? What are good parts for the pc?Which games should we play?

and yes, i also want to host a minecraft server for me and my friends.again,where do i start? . i'm buying a legal copy. well,max players can be 10. 

I need all these questions answered and some other good knowledge about them. Well,you have only 9 minutes now.Since there will be a powershut don from 9:00 am GMT to 5:00 pm GMT here.

If you need anything else,PM me!

Thanks.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Any decent PC with more than 4gb of RAM and a 64 bit OS would be good enough to host 10 on a minecraft lan. Create a single player game and then open it to LAN. Just make sure you are all on the same wireless network. Don't know about the switch or how to do it like that. For the build get a gigabyte mobo nice (feature set without going over), a solid 8350, cheapest 1600mhz RAM u can find, 840 Evo with the capacity you need, EVGA Hadron with the included PSU

Any decent PC with more than 4gb of RAM and a 64 bit OS would be good enough to host 10 on a minecraft lan. Create a single player game and then open it to LAN. Just make sure you are all on the same wireless network. Don't know about the switch or how to do it like that. For the build get a gigabyte mobo nice (feature set without going over), a solid 8350, cheapest 1600mhz RAM u can find, 840 Evo with the capacity you need, EVGA Hadron with the included PSU

Well,minecraft is for the server.(we might also play it in our lan party though.) 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Well,minecraft is for the server.(we might also play it in our lan party though.) 

I used to own a 40 slot Minecraft server it was run off a dual core and 2GB of RAM it ran perfectly fine with 40 players on 

I used to own a 40 slot Minecraft server it was run off a dual core and 2GB of RAM it ran perfectly fine with 40 players on 

only 2gb? is it enough?

COMING SOON

I don't know where to find a 10 port switch but I know you can find them easy so I'll skip that and move onto other stuff.

Minecraft has a built in lan support so you don't need to set up a server. Just start a new world, hit "Open to LAN" and you're good to go.

Make sure you have an area set up for everyone's system and have ample power strips and extension cords as needed. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE EVERYONE HOOKED UP TO ONE OUTLET. You will blow a fuse and worse case scenario is burning down the house.

only 2gb? is it enough?

I would assume so it ran fine with all 40 players on no lag although it was hosted by a company 

I would assume so it ran fine with all 40 players on no lag although it was hosted by a company 

which?did you rent it?

COMING SOON

which?did you rent it?

I paid a company to host it yes (a minecraft hosting company)

10mb of ram per player is a rule to go by for minecraft servers

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I don't know where to find a 10 port switch but I know you can find them easy so I'll skip that and move onto other stuff.

Minecraft has a built in lan support so you don't need to set up a server. Just start a new world, hit "Open to LAN" and you're good to go.

Make sure you have an area set up for everyone's system and have ample power strips and extension cords as needed. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE EVERYONE HOOKED UP TO ONE OUTLET. You will blow a fuse and worse case scenario is burning down the house.

i have just bought 2 power bars. each have 5 in it :). And hat outlet are you talking about.(sorry,i'm a noob)

COMING SOON

Don't know much about LAN parties, I've only done them wireless(the host opens the world then clicks open to LAN on the menu, then anyone that wants to join will find the world in their multi player menu)

As for hosting the server on a machine I think other people can help you set it up and port forward and all that. Oh and Make sure your router DOES SUPPORT PORT FORWARDING!!!!!!!! I tried port forwarding on a router that didn't and it shut our internet down so make sure you know what your doing.

I'd give you a part's list myself but I'm kind of a noob. :P

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I paid a company to host it yes (a minecraft hosting company)

Exodus?

COMING SOON

Don't know much about LAN parties, I've only done them wireless(the host opens the world then clicks open to LAN on the menu, then anyone that wants to join will find the world in their multi player menu)

As for hosting the server on a machine I think other people can help you set it up and port forward and all that. Oh and Make sure your router DOES SUPPORT PORT FORWARDING!!!!!!!! I tried port forwarding on a router that didn't and it shut our internet down so make sure you know what your doing.

I'd give you a part's list myself but I'm kind of a noob. :P

i'm bringing a switch,a new router,upgrading my isp and also my plan. I'm willing to pay 100$/month for good internet.

COMING SOON

Exodus?

No another company I can't remember which one but it was the cheapest and had good service 

only 2gb? is it enough?

you really only need a ton of RAM if you have hundreds of people on your server at the same time. This is where server MOBO's come in since they have a lot of RAM slots and two CPU sockets.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

10mb of ram per player is a rule to go by for minecraft servers

Oh yes! I forgot! You had recently did a LAN party ! Well,tell me about it! Everything that you did!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMING SOON

Oh yes! I forgot! You had recently did a LAN party ! Well,tell me about it! Everything that you did!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am planning one, it will be next weekend. I will be sure to tell you then.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

i have just bought 2 power bars. each have 5 in it :). And hat outlet are you talking about.(sorry,i'm a noob)

He mean's the outlet you plug your computers into. My guess is that you and youre friends are gonna use laptops? But there are systems that people build and carry to other houses to play LAN games. Usually small ones.

The one's on your wall

He mean's the outlet you plug your computers into. My guess is that you and youre friends are gonna use laptops? But there are systems that people build and carry to other houses to play LAN games. Usually small ones.

Nope. We're going to take mini pcs.

COMING SOON

Well,By minecraft server,i mean that the server will be on and live and working 24/7. Not just for an hour or something like that. Any of my friends should be able to join the server at any time.    

COMING SOON

Well,By minecraft server,i mean that the server will be on and live and working 24/7. Not just for an hour or something like that. Any of my friends should be able to join the server at any time.    

You should rather do it with the dedicated server client, it's much lighter than hosting it in-game... (And it should work pretty much out of the box too if I remember correctly!) If it's just like 10 ppl then it won't take that much power to host it. If your pc has enough power, you could just host it there in the background. I've done that with ~6 ppl on the server at the same time (including me on the same machine) and no one has complained about lag or anything.

By outlet he means the things in the walls you plug the power bars into.

I'm not sure what you mean by mini-pcs, but I'll just assume they all have about 650W PSUs inside them all, which should be enough for a decent gaming rig usually. So you wanna plug the power bars into different wall sockets, not chain them together, because you might burn the fuses by doing that.

So let's say you have 10 people with computers on at the same time, with about 80% load on the PSU on each machine, and let's assume that they are ~80% efficiency. At least here in Finland the fuses and outlets are rated for ~3600W (230V * 16A). Now if we calculate the power all the computers would draw at the same time:

Number of people: y = 10

PSU size (output power): O = 650W

PSU load on each machine at specified load (80% here): P = (0,8O) = 520W

PSU power draw from the wall on each machine: F = 1,2

Total power draw: x = 6240W

x = (yP)F     psu output power @ 80% load times the number of people, times the wall load of each psu (80% efficiency means that it draws 120% the output power from the wall, 90% would mean 110% and so on.)

x = 5200F  

x = 6240W total power draw. You need more than one fuse!

That means that you'll need to draw power from two different fuses, or get one of those power things that uses the three-phase power and converts it to the regional voltage by using just one phase, which should be able to drive the whole 5.5kW load afaik. Easier to just have multiple fuses!

Of course these aren't the same in every country, so you should look up these values for your own region and recalculate them!

Hope I didn't confuse you too much with the math! :D

Nope. We're going to take mini pcs.

Awesome!!!!! For whatever reason I'm really drawn to small PC's! I just really like them as long as they kick ass on da gamz! 

You should rather do it with the dedicated server client, it's much lighter than hosting it in-game... (And it should work pretty much out of the box too if I remember correctly!) If it's just like 10 ppl then it won't take that much power to host it. If your pc has enough power, you could just host it there in the background. I've done that with ~6 ppl on the server at the same time (including me on the same machine) and no one has complained about lag or anything.

By outlet he means the things in the walls you plug the power bars into.

I'm not sure what you mean by mini-pcs, but I'll just assume they all have about 650W PSUs inside them all, which should be enough for a decent gaming rig usually. So you wanna plug the power bars into different wall sockets, not chain them together, because you might burn the fuses by doing that.

So let's say you have 10 people with computers on at the same time, with about 80% load on the PSU on each machine, and let's assume that they are ~80% efficiency. At least here in Finland the fuses and outlets are rated for ~3600W (230V * 16A). Now if we calculate the power all the computers would draw at the same time:

Number of people: y = 10

PSU size (output power): O = 650W

PSU load on each machine at specified load (80% here): P = (0,8O) = 520W

PSU power draw from the wall on each machine: F = 1,2

Total power draw: x = 6240W

x = (yP)F     psu output power @ 80% load times the number of people, times the wall load of each psu (80% efficiency means that it draws 120% the output power from the wall, 90% would mean 110% and so on.)

x = 5200F  

x = 6240W total power draw. You need more than one fuse!

That means that you'll need to draw power from two different fuses, or get one of those power things that uses the three-phase power and converts it to the regional voltage by using just one phase, which should be able to drive the whole 5.5kW load afaik. Easier to just have multiple fuses!

Of course these aren't the same in every country, so you should look up these values for your own region and recalculate them!

Hope I didn't confuse you too much with the math! :D

And don't forget the monitors. ;)