Google's Project Fi gets a unlimited data feature called Bill Protection

The Benjamins

BPdata1_1.max-1000x1000.png

Bill Protection gives you the peace of mind to use extra data when you need it. In months when you use more than 6 GB of data, we’ll cap your charges for calls & texts plus data at $80, and allow you to continue using high speed data for free—similar to an unlimited plan. Bill Protection kicks in at different usage points based on the number of people on your plan, and you can see how it would work for your group here.

If you’re a super heavy data user, you’ll experience slower data speeds in months when you’ve consumed more than 15 GB of data (less than 1% of current Fi users today). But as always, you’ll have the power to customize your plan, and you can opt out of slower speeds by paying $10/GB for your individual data usage above 15 GB.

The one thing I have been hoping for from Project Fi is a unlimited data option, it is awesome they added that in as a cost savings measure. Now I am still in search for a WiFi hot spot or tablet to use the free data sim I can get.

https://blog.google/products/project-fi/bill-protection/

https://fi.google.com/

How it works:

Base line cost + Data used up price limit

Examples

$20 + 1.35GB ($13.5) = $33.5 that month

$20 + 7.8GB (limited to $60) = $80 that month

BPdata2_1.max-1000x1000.png

This is the Pricing on Group plans, EACH line get throttled at 15GB used PER line. (if Line 1 used 15GB line 2 does NOT get throttled until it hits 15GB too.)

These are total MAX plan costs, these prices just get even better.

when-bill-protection-kicks-in.jpg

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/17/googles-project-fi-now-offers-unlimited-mobile-data-for-60-with-bill-protection/

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

18 minutes ago, Rune said:

I wish Fi wasn't limited to like 5 phones. FML.

or limited in area.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Sorry but I am still a little unsure of how this works. So if you go under 6gb, Fi will refund you the data that you didn't use in cash each pay cycle. But if you go over 6gb, you will still pay only for 6gb so $80? Can you do this every month, even though it doesn't make sense with Fi? Are there any other limitations?

Sooo... this is Unlimited Data without calling it Unlimited Data?

Sooo... they're actually giving you 15GB/month before throttling?

The wording on this seems so unnecessary, just call it what it is... $10/Month for 15GB of Full-Speed Unlimited Data (throttling occurs past 15GB).

It's also hilarious how they tout that "135+ Countries" have access, yet their coverage map indicates that it only works in the US.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

11 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

It's also hilarious how they tout that "135+ Countries" have access, yet their coverage map indicates that it only works in the US.

Because they distinguish domestic data and international data, and the coverage map is only the coverage area for their domestic data coverage.

17 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Sooo... this is Unlimited Data without calling it Unlimited Data?

Sooo... they're actually giving you 15GB/month before throttling?

The wording on this seems so unnecessary, just call it what it is... $10/Month for 15GB of Full-Speed Unlimited Data (throttling occurs past 15GB).

The thing is its not a Unlimited Plan, you don't pick it. it is Pay per use until you hit $60 of data used then it becomes unlimited, throttling happens at 15GB. (you can chose to not get throttled but pay $10/GB from 15GB and on.)

Its more pay per use with a price cap.

30 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Sorry but I am still a little unsure of how this works. So if you go under 6gb, Fi will refund you the data that you didn't use in cash each pay cycle. But if you go over 6gb, you will still pay only for 6gb so $80? Can you do this every month, even though it doesn't make sense with Fi? Are there any other limitations?

Fi is basically Pay Per Use, with data costing $10/GB (charged per MB), and now once you hit 6GB/$60 of data a pricing limit kicks in. With this every month you can use 1.4 GB and pay $34 per month or use 6GB+ and get charged $80 no matter how much you use.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

The thing is its not a Unlimited Plan, you don't pick it. it is Pay per use until you hit $60 of data used then it becomes unlimited, throttling happens at 15GB. (you can chose to not get throttled but pay $10/GB from 15GB and on.)

Its more pay per use with a price cap.

So it's like a Flex-Plan then... gotcha.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Now...is this somehow possible to get this service up in Canada? ;)

Any loopholes...

(or the Google Overlords officially make it available up here)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Wow prices in USA seem mental. I am in the UK and get unlimited mins/texts and 3GB data allowance for just £9 a month. This has to be one of the few times that we pay less than the US does.

Still, good for you guys that things are getting better.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

14 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Wow prices in USA seem mental. I am in the UK and get unlimited mins/texts and 3GB data allowance for just £9 a month. This has to be one of the few times that we pay less than the US does.

Still, good for you guys that things are getting better.

Other carriers in the US have far better pricing for higher data usage. Where Fi shines is if you use very little data or just want to pay for the data used without a penalty. (Well there is also tower hopping too) For instance I pay on average $22 total for my plan ($2 for the data used, since I'm usually at home or on campus)

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Other carriers in the US have far better pricing for higher data usage. Where Fi shines is if you use very little data or just want to pay for the data used without a penalty. (Well there is also tower hopping too) For instance I pay on average $22 total for my plan ($2 for the data used, since I'm usually at home or on campus)

Ahh I see, that makes sense then... I saw those prices in the OP and was like "WTF!!" :D

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 minutes ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

There will be no throttling if I go over (unless I am using the quasi-unlimited data plan, in which case I will receive limited throttling after 15GB if there is network congestion) and, again, I will only be billed the same amount as normal.

According to the FAQ, it seems that all plans are getting this feature: https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#plan-and-pricing-bill-protection

(Granted this might not apply to current subscriptions)

Aren't many carriers in US already have unlimited data, where when you pass some large limit you pass down from LTE to 3G (or 2G)? So I don't really understand this. Great for Canada.. but this is in the US.

YES! As a Project Fi user I love this. BTW if anyone wants a referral code to save an extra $10 you can have mine.

29 minutes ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

According to an email I received - and a conversation with one of their reps over live-chat - it does on the next billing cycle for all subscribers.

Reveal hidden contents

5a5fe8ab380e0_2018-01-17(4).png.ff12a8c1a41cc53cdcc316872f5910aa.png5a5fe5755baf8_2018-01-17(2).thumb.png.fde9a28531d70dfe8e1cfa72355c1fb9.png

You have to opt out to not get throttled after 15GB. (but you pay then)

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Aren't many carriers in US already have unlimited data, where when you pass some large limit you pass down from LTE to 3G (or 2G)? So I don't really understand this. Great for Canada.. but this is in the US.

The idea is you are not locked into a unlimited plan, so if you us 1-3 GB normally you pay that but lets say you go on vacation and stream movies on your phone during a bus ride or something now after 6GB you do not have to pay more to use more. Think of it like a courtesy safety blanket then a every month unlimited plan.

1 hour ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

Let me show you my bill from last month...

WordsWordsWordsWordsWordsWordsWords

why not set it to 1GB, and not have to worry about the month later credits. You don't get fees for going past.

God damn mobile data is expensive...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

You are charged the same whether it's set 1GB or 10GB. The "credits" is just an amount deducted from the bill. There are no rewards points. If I set my plan to 10GB (I did that one moth a while back) and only use two gigs, I will only pay 20USD for that data (on top of 20USD for Fi Basics, and fees). Again, the "credits" aren't any form of rewards points, it's just what's deducted from the bill at the end of the month for not using that data.

my point is that the data not used is a credit on the NEXT bill vs paying what you used that month, look at you bill you got 8.76 credits payed back from last months under usage. which means you payed 8.76 extra last month. If your plan was set to 1GB you wouldn't of payed that 8.76 last month.

Would it have been far simpler to say:

• 13$ per GB (prorated to the KB. max charge: 60$. No download limit passed 6GB/60$)

Like this you don't need to break your head every month doing the calculations of 60$ MINUS the amount you didn't use, MINUS the amount of last month they credit you from last month to this month to make sure that there is no error on the system, and if there is, avoid an annoying tedious call to Google in India where you'll spend 4h trying to explain the error as the person on the phone will assume you are wrong and not the system, not to mention the hours waiting...

oh nice I can finely get fi :D

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Would it have been far simpler to say:

• 13$ per GB (prorated to the KB. max charge: 60$. No download limit passed 6GB/60$)

Like this you don't need to break your head every month doing the calculations of 60$ MINUS the amount you didn't use, MINUS the amount of last month they credit you from last month to this month to make sure that there is no error on the system, and if there is, avoid an annoying tedious call to Google in India where you'll spend 4h trying to explain the error as the person on the phone will assume you are wrong and not the system, not to mention the hours waiting...

well its $10 per GB not $13, and that is how its explained its $20 base + $10/GB (charged per MB, capped at $60)

The credit from last months bill thing is ending with this, it is now what you pay each month. it use to be you get charge at what you set $20 + $30 (3GB) and rebated last months not used credits. (they no longer do this, officially stated by Google)

15 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Ahh I see, that makes sense then... I saw those prices in the OP and was like "WTF!!" :D

He pays $22 but only uses 1/5th of a Gig 200MB a month.

US pricing is way higher then your $9 for 3gb and unlimited  Your $9 Plan would cost $50 on His plan if he was comparing apples to apples. 5x the cost. ( Though there are some shitter prepaid carriers that will get you 3gb for around $40ish 

US Pricing has come down a lot over the last few years but we are still very expensive. I do know canada is even worse off then us though. 

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Many have for example a 6gb monthly plan and then after you pass your limit youll get really slow internet but not be charged they ussualy say 2g or a speed #

THough many that say Unlimited dont do this they give you unlimited data  but after X GBs they will only slow you if the network is congested. Tmobile that number is in the 40GBs and verizon its in the 20GBs. personally i have never noticed slower speeds on tmobile for the last 3 years after passing that though. so far its been pretty unlimited.

They do have a few rules

Only get X amount of tethering depending on the plan you have 

and if you torrent a lot they will Call you tell you to stop and then if you dont they will Kick you off on to a low GB plan.  ( Talking over 200GB a month) Your plan states you cant do this

58 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

He pays $22 but only uses 1/5th of a Gig 200MB a month.

US pricing is way higher then your $9 for 3gb and unlimited  Your $9 Plan would cost $50 on His plan if he was comparing apples to apples. 5x the cost. ( Though there are some shitter prepaid carriers that will get you 3gb for around $40ish 

US Pricing has come down a lot over the last few years but we are still very expensive. I do know canada is even worse off then us though. 

Yeah, that still is very expensive compared to UK pricing. You can also get a similat plan to mine (3GB) for the same price, but on a rolling 30 day contract, some people prefer this way so they aren't tied into 12/18 months. For me it was easier to go with 12 mths contract, as I got a £55 Amazon gift card also, which brought the price down considerably, so only effectively cost me £53 for the whole year contract, or £4.41 effective monthly cost taking that gift card into account. I don't use that much data as I am at home most of the time, but it is handy for when I go out, and sometimes for home if the fibre is playing up or something. I can also tether/hotspot with it so can be handy.

[edit] The speed isn't great when at home, as I am barely inside the coverage of the transmitter for my area, but it's enough to get by with in an emergency at 13 to 30Mbps depending on where in the house you are.. and upload is terrible at between 0.05 to 0.7Mbps. just around 100 meters up the road my coverage leaps to full bars and can get between 35-70Mbps and around 9.5 upload IIRC. So speed wise we are severly lagging in the 4G department, but for what I use my phone for it is enough.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, that still is very expensive compared to UK pricing. You can also get a similat plan to mine (3GB) for the same price, but on a rolling 30 day contract, some people prefer this way so they aren't tied into 12/18 months. For me it was easier to go with 12 mths contract, as I got a £55 Amazon gift card also, which brought the price down considerably, so only effectively cost me £53 for the whole year contract, or £4.41 effective monthly cost taking that gift card into account. I don't use that much data as I am at home most of the time, but it is handy for when I go out, and sometimes for home if the fibre is playing up or something. I can also tether/hotspot with it so can be handy.

yeah even if i didnt use it at $5 bucks a month i wouldnt even think about it and its also such a small amount if you needed to leave that contract. 

So many people in the US have $300 phone plans for a family of 4 ( Including phone prices) 

$150-$200 for the plans $ 25-$35 for each phone payments. ( You basically take a 2 year loan out on the $800 Phones 800/24  $33 a month)

there is no contracts but you cant leave a carrier unless you pay off your phone usually. You can buy them or bring your own to begin with its a rarity here also though. 

I personally pay $130 a month

For 2 phones unlimited data text & Calls I need the data due to traveling few hours everyday i use about 50-100GB a month lol. and my plan is one of the cheapest you can get and have only 1 phone of which has a payment plan $100 for the plan $30ish for the one phone i owe money on still.