Move over M.2, here comes M.3*

NumLock21

M.2 drive have been with us for a while now, with their slim gum stick design allowing for small form factor builds, even a 2.5 inch drive cannot achieve. While M.2 is great on the consumer side, it's not so great for the enterprise. Enter M.3 where now enterprise can also get the same gum stick form factor with a lot more features.

The two M.3 SSDs we've seen thus far from Samsung and now Adata feature a wider (30.5mm vs 22mm) width that gives manufacturers more surface area to mount components. The extra surface area gives the companies more options with NAND packages, host power failure capacitors, and larger controllers. Adata's IM3P33E1 features a PCIe 3.0 x4 host connector that support hot plug. The drive will enter the market in sizes that range from 240GB to 1.92TB. This is lower than Samsung's, which reaches up to 16TB, but much more economical. Adata claims up to 3,200 MB/s sequential and 1,800 MB/s sequential write speeds over the NVMe 1.3 protocol.

The connector in the server doesn't use an angle when inserting the drive. This direct, straight through connector gives users hot plug capabilities without the use of a complicated mechanism. The only server we've seen with the M.3 form factor puts 34 drive sleds on the front of the 1U chassis. The server consolidates the drives vertically and fits more high-speed storage than possible with 2.5" U.2 ever could in 1.75" height server.

The pin out is the same between M.2 and M.3, but don't expect to use these in your desktop anytime soon. The two M.3 drives we've seen from Samsung and Adata use 12v instead of 5v.

* M.3 name is not set in stone yet, they just calling M.3 for now.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9K

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-im3p33e1-m.3-ssd-nvme,36332.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Interesting. My first thought was "I work on laptops in a large scale deployment environment, that have M.2 spaces and go unused, so why would they design a new form factor when companies aren't using the older version that's available".

But I hadn't considered what I am going to call "extreme small form factor storage" usage in an actual server environment.

Any idea if this will reduce power usage or heat generation? Or is it going to just be higher storage density per rack kind of deal? Maybe a mix of all three?

Still, pretty neat. Wonder when @LinusTech will upgrade his server room with one lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Now when will Samsung release a M.3 update to their existing 960 Evo/Pro. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I'm not a fan of the name, I feel that the actual naming convention world work better

Standard m.2

M.2 2280

"M.3" 

M.2 30.580, or just 3080 to save the decimal

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

IMO seems like a dumb update.

if this is for servers, then why would you want 500 small M.3 SSDs, when you could instead create a standard that's more square, and much larger.

Intel's ruler SSDs seem better than this.

that being said, this form factor is really new, so there will obviously be winners, losers, and a clusterfuck of different protocols in the transition period (M.2, U.2, M.3, Intel ruler SSD, etc.)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

So this M.3 is strictly for enterprise grade work, not for the consumer correct? We won't be seeing consumer level $150-$250 MOBO's with this new standard right?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

10 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

We won't be seeing consumer level $150-$250 MOBO's with this new standard right?

You'll notice my complaint up above, this isn't a new standard connector - it's still m.2

Meaning any current mobo will probably accept one, though the power draw will likely lead to incompatibility.

The pin out is the same between M.2 and M.3, but don't expect to use these in your desktop anytime soon. The two M.3 drives we've seen from Samsung and Adata use 12v instead of 5v. Even the name M.3 is not a technically correct term at this time—it's a specification that does not exist. 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Now when will Samsung release a M.3 update to their existing 960 Evo/Pro. 

Kinda is what Samsung was showing off with this new form factor since they were the ones pushing it the most.

Utilizing the new NGSFF drive instead of M.2 drives in a 1U server can increase the storage capacity of the system by four times. To highlight the advantages, Samsung demonstrated a reference server system that delivers 576TB in a 1U rack, using 36 16TB NGSFF SSDs. The 1U reference system can process about 10 million random read IOPS, which triples the IOPS performance of a 1U server equipped with 2.5-inch SSDs. A petabyte capacity can be achieved using only two of the 576TB systems.

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-introduces-far-reaching-v-nand-memory-solutions-to-tackle-data-processing-and-storage-challenges

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

You'll notice my complaint up above, this isn't a new standard connector - it's still m.2

Meaning any current mobo will probably accept one, though the power draw will likely lead to incompatibility.

Yes, I understand what you are saying... But my question fell more in line with the physical size of the new standard. It's wider, meaning at least on nearly every MOBO with M.2 support today, these new drives would not fit on. Not because of the connecter but rather the body. So I was really asking will there be consumer boards with this new "M.3" device in mind?

However, I did miss the comment on the voltage usage... That's not a good thing honestly.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

24 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

if this is for servers, then why would you want 500 small M.3 SSDs, when you could instead create a standard that's more square, and much larger.

Rack space actually costs a lot of money if you are renting rack space. Currently takes us nearly two full 42U cabinets to get 600TB of storage, not using 8TB+ HDDs though. The OP image shown isn't actually the complete product either, see below.

imgp3046_575px.jpg?w=870

16 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

But my question fell more in line with the physical size of the new standard. It's wider, meaning at least on nearly every MOBO with M.2 support today, these new drives would not fit on.

Anything with a daughterboard or backmounted drive should work.

3 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

IMO seems like a dumb update.

that being said, this form factor is really new, so there will obviously be winners, losers, and a clusterfuck of different protocols in the transition period (M.2, U.2, M.3, Intel ruler SSD, etc.)

Intel's ruler seems to be very long and just go into a backplane. M.3 is smaller but more adaptable.

If you just want a storage-only 1U then Intel's solution is obviously more space-efficient, but Samsung's M.3 idea could be useful in other niches.

5 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

If M.2 is so great why isn't there an M.3? Oh wait...

I'm still on M.1

Stupid question, but why would 12v prevent it from working with your home motherboard?

Don't standard m.2 E-key and M-key slots have 3.3v, 5v, and 12v lines? (PCIe defaults to 12v for example and there are m.2 to PCIe risers out there...)

What am I missing here?

As mentioned im the article, don't expect it on the consumer side any time soon. Many are more than fine with SATA SSDs and current NVMe for enthusiasts, not to mention prices. Also it will still take time until we all transition to SSD only and price of them go down. 

I wonder how they'll figure out having many of them connected. Can't really take that many space on mobo screwing like 10 M.2's maybe on back hah. But something like U.2 connector could work as SATA replacement. 

Also when is the rumored Samsung 980 series of NVMe gonna come though. I guess in time, enterprise version was shown. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I do hope this gets called m.2 but knowing how stupid standards are named, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being m.2 version 1.1

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Stupid question, but why would 12v prevent it from working with your home motherboard?

Don't standard m.2 E-key and M-key slots have 3.3v, 5v, and 12v lines? (PCIe defaults to 12v for example and there are m.2 to PCIe risers out there...)

What am I missing here?

Consumer M.2 SSDs run off the 5V lines. That's what consumer mainboards probably are limited to.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I do hope this gets called m.2 but knowing how stupid standards are named, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being m.2 version 1.1

M.2.1 Gen 3 v2 refresh

To be clear, this is not, and would not be, a mainstream drive correct? I feel like M.2 implementation is pretty mature, (fitting in between, above and around PCI-E slots perfectly) and having a wider PCB would limit the mounting positions

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Consumer M.2 SSDs run off the 5V lines. That's what consumer mainboards probably are limited to.

Maybe if they're super cheap Chinese budget boards, but why would any major board designer improperly wire their sockets on the hope that no device will come out that uses the higher voltage rails? To save the fractions of a cent for the cost of a single trace?

I mean in a lot of cases they're already wiring most slots to support all of PCIe, and  SATA with 5v and 3.3v (standby power) rails, it's not like the extra 12v rail thats in the spec would add *that* much to the complexity, particularly since your m.2 drive is usually by the PCIe slots that you're running the 12v rail to anyways.

And that's not even to mention that a bunch of the higher end Intel boards with E-key(WiFi card) m.2 slots are wiring their slots up with all of PCIe, USB, I2C, SDIO, UART and I2S just to make 100% sure their bases are covered for all the cards out there.

I would of liked to see the possibility of more lanes on m.3

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

I would of liked to see the possibility of more lanes on m.3

No extra lanes, but it does now require 5 screws to mount that sucker.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

16 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

The two M.3 drives we've seen from Samsung and Adata use 12v instead of 5v.

Can we just phase out 5V and 3.3V so Power Supplies become cheaper and smaller? And so we don't have to mess with as many cables. ATX2 anyone?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Can we just phase out 5V and 3.3V so Power Supplies become cheaper and smaller? And so we don't have to mess with as many cables. ATX2 anyone?

I don't think removing them is going to make the psu any smaller.

And I've noticed one of my old HP netbook, the SATA power cable has quite a few pins missing, some of those pins are for features like staggered spin up or activity LED.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

M.3 is sooooooo 2019

Maybe one day they'll catch up and release M.5 with 2.3Tb/s read and write speeds

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

M.3 is sooooooo 2019

Maybe one day they'll catch up and release M.5 with 2.3Tb/s read and write speeds

M.16 can fire off roughly 1,000 5.56TiB writes a minute...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.