The 5 GHz coffee lake club

Sign in and join this club with your 5 giggawiggles coffee lake chip:

ulzlqSs.png 

Linus is my fetish.

Blue Mug is best cup. 

Also, congratulations! I may step up to the CFL platform this summer if I feel that RAM isn't too expensive. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

CB8700K.jpg.483c92e489bcf0f781adcc8881dddc0e.jpg

Oh wow.

(My chip is pathetic and won't boot at 5.1 with 1.4v).

Linus is my fetish.

Lol this is like a 3ghz ryzen club.... 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Wait a minute ...

IzNQyxh.png

Wheeeee!

What happened was after setting 5.2 Ghz, boot up fails, and then the next boot takes ages, which was making it look like 5.1 wasnt working.

But 5.1 did work! (at 1.38v, and its also a cold winter night which helps, but I did that about 10 times at different settings before it was stable).

I cant get 5.2 to boot unless I try going over 1.4v which Im not doing.

Well 5.1 Ghz wasnt bench stable all the way up to 1.4v.

5 Ghz is stable at 1.36v....

Meh. Throw my chip in the bin, lousy only 5 Ghz :(

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Jumper118 said:

Funny as it may seem, a lot of 8700ks dont get past 4.9 Ghz, and as per my above post mine isnt stable any higher than 5.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Jumper118 said:

We should start a 5.5 GHz club then...

https://valid.x86.fr/ek1wqm

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

before this goes too deep, just gonna leave this here

"As of 12/01/17, the top 99% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 4.9GHz or greater." -SL

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

10 hours ago, xg32 said:

"As of 12/01/17, the top 99% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 4.9GHz or greater." -SL

That 4.9 probably makes up more than half of that percentage fyi.

OCUK sell pre binned 8700ks starting at 4.9 Ghz, that means that all of these are chips that couldnt pass at 5 Ghz:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-8700k-4.9ghz-coffee-lake-socket-lga1151-pre-binned-processor-oem-cp-64b-in.html

Likewise all of these must be chips that couldnt even pass at 4.9 Ghz:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-8700k-3.7ghz-coffee-lake-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-64c-in.html

Linus is my fetish.

10 hours ago, xg32 said:

Just to clarify.  Silicon Lottery's binning / stability verification process is kind of relaxed.  He used to only run RealBench for 1 hour to determine if a chip was stable at the clock he was listing it at.  While that's fine, it's very far from what some people would consider ensuring stability at a given clock speed.  

Consequently, the 1hr RealBench test became a popular standard for a lot of folks over on overclock.net for the purposes of private sales.  Anyone that knows anything knows that 1hr of RealBench is somewhat stable for most loads, but definitely not stable enough for all things.  

To further compound things, Silicon Lottery has now completely removed their stability testing methods from their website in favor of a new method that is undisclosed.  

All of this is fine considering that they have a 14-day return policy, but that 14 days starts the day you purchase it.  Not when you actually receive it via shipping.  

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Just to clarify.  Silicon Lottery's binning / stability verification process is kind of relaxed.  He used to only run RealBench for 1 hour to determine if a chip was stable at the clock he was listing it at.  While that's fine, it's very far from what some people would consider ensuring stability at a given clock speed.  

Consequently, the 1hr RealBench test became a popular standard for a lot of folks over on overclock.net for the purposes of private sales.  Anyone that knows anything knows that 1hr of RealBench is somewhat stable for most loads, but definitely not stable enough for all things.  

To further compound things, Silicon Lottery has now completely removed their stability testing methods from their website in favor of a new method that is undisclosed.  

All of this is fine considering that they have a 14-day return policy, but that 14 days starts the day you purchase it.  Not when you actually receive it via shipping.  

Any recommendations of which suite of tests and times are necessary to ensure a stable overclock?

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

If you buy pre binned from OCUK, they have a 1 year warranty, but they charge a lot.

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, Bhav said:

If you buy pre binned from OCUK, they have a 1 year warranty, but they charge a lot.

Same with Silicon Lottery as well, plus if you use their binning service. I got lucky and got back a 5.3 GHz.

Just now, Roen said:

Any recommendations of which suite of tests and times are necessary to ensure a stable overclock?

As with mine, while IBT Standard test was stable, even Time Spy black screened.

I passed a run of time spy at 1.36v, but a few hours later I still black screened, so now I have it set to 1.375v which seems like it would be more than enough.

The main problem with getting these OCs stable is the LLC. Even with the maximum offset my motherboard allows of 7, 1.375v in the bios still only means a maximum of 1.36v in CPU-Z, with the usual figure being 1.34v. At 1.36v similarly the CPU-Z values were 1.328 - 1.34v.

LLC is bad for OCing, also you need to set power delivery to the maximum so overcurrent protection doesnt switch your PC off, and offset the AVX frequency (My AVX frequency works at 4.8 Ghz 1.35v+, but 4.9 Ghz is instant errors in IBT all the way up to 1.4v).

Overclocking these chips for 24/7 stability isnt easy.

Linus is my fetish.

For fun:

A crappy 8700k @ 5 Ghz:

IDyVACT.jpg

Utterly destroyed by a vastly superior G4400 @ 3.3 Ghz:

eN2Qcsy.jpg 

(Erm, lower means better right?).

Linus is my fetish.

6 minutes ago, Bhav said:

As with mine, while IBT Standard test was stable, even Time Spy black screened.

I passed a run of time spy at 1.36v, but a few hours later I still black screened, so now I have it set to 1.375v which seems like it would be more than enough.

The main problem with getting these OCs stable is the LLC. Even with the maximum offset my motherboard allows of 7, 1.375v in the bios still only means a maximum of 1.36v in CPU-Z, with the usual figure being 1.34v. At 1.36v similarly the CPU-Z values were 1.328 - 1.34v.

LLC is bad for OCing, also you need to set power delivery to the maximum so overcurrent protection doesnt switch your PC off, and offset the AVX frequency (My AVX frequency works at 4.8 Ghz 1.35v+, but 4.9 Ghz is instant errors in IBT all the way up to 1.4v).

Overclocking these chips for 24/7 stability isnt easy.

Damn, thanks for the info.

10 minutes ago, Bhav said:

I might just be a more validated bin as well.  I believe OCUK runs their chips through Prime95 testing before selling them.  This is why their chips would appear to clock lower than those from Silicon Lottery.  They all bin chips.  One retailer doesn't magically get a lot more higher binned chips than another.  They just verify their stability at those claimed speeds differently.  

image_id_1944298.thumb.png.2dc31de54ada12efa354da7a1c623420.png

i3 peasant race. 5.0 is bench stable. I can't get it 5.1 bench stable at any voltage but did get a 5.2 submission into hwbot.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I might just be a more validated bin as well.  I believe OCUK runs their chips through Prime95 testing before selling them.  This is why their chips would appear to clock lower than those from Silicon Lottery.  They all bin chips.  One retailer doesn't magically get a lot more higher binned chips than another.  They just verify their stability at those claimed speeds differently.  

Right. As a warning, dont buy the OEM 8700k from such places that Pre Bin ... those will all be chips that couldnt even pass the minimum binning of 4.9 Ghz.

Linus is my fetish.

14 minutes ago, Roen said:

13 minutes ago, Roen said:

Same with Silicon Lottery as well, plus if you use their binning service. I got lucky and got back a 5.3 GHz.

Truthfully, a CPU only needs to be as stable as you need it to be for your particular workload.  With that said, if you do a lot of gaming/video editing, RealBench for a 2 to 4 hours is a great test.  

I can tell you first hand that just because it's RealBench stable, doesn't mean that it will be stable enough for all workloads.  

Best thing you can do if you want to ensure stability in all situations is to throw all situations at the chip.  Remain flexible and adjust as you go.  Minimum VCore needs to be as high as the toughest load requires.  Not as low as you can get away with as a lot of people try to do.  

Good luck and have a blast with it man.