Transistor Size

Paddi01

Modern GPU´s are built in 14 nanometer size. On the CPU side, Ryzen will have 12 nm.

I wonder if it´s possible that one day we will see 1 nm? If so, what comes after that?

Bear in mind that the transistors themselves are not 14 nanometers or 12 nanometers. The lithography is that size, whatever the process node is.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Bear in mind that the transistors themselves are not 14 nanometers or 12 nanometers. The lithography is that size, whatever the process node is.

wat?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

wat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_nanometer

The gate pitch for a 5nm transistor can be 32 or 44nm.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

Modern GPU´s are built in 14 nanometer size. On the CPU side, Ryzen will have 12 nm.

I wonder if it´s possible that one day we will see 1 nm? If so, what comes after that?

Physics dictates that smaller than 7nm, we'll start to see issues using silicon where insulators no longer work as intended due to quantum tunneling. So 1nm on current silicon technology is basically impossible.

Researchers are looking for alternatives though.

We'll probably figure out quantum computing before 1nm (especially on silicon)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Physics dictates that smaller than 7nm, we'll start to see issues using silicon where insulators no longer work as intended due to quantum tunneling. So 1nm on current silicon technology is basically impossible.

Researchers are looking for alternatives though.

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2016/10/06/smallest-transistor-1-nm-gate/

Apparently, they done did it! But like you said, electrons literally jump from gate to gate making reliability an extreme issue moving forward. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

41 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

yes i know, this is what i was thinking of.

21 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

They take a different approach. The gate is 1nm but area which they switch is larger also the the remains is way to large. Will take some time to get there.

I am by no means a transistor expert (yet, getting there), but, in general, it is a proof of concept and a proof of the laws of physics.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

1 hour ago, Paddi01 said:

Then we can actually play the game. 

Spoiler