Steve Burke (Gamer Nexus) explanes the lack of mini itx AM4 motherboards

Steven H

In a short overview video of the MSI B350I Pro AC board by Gamer Nexus, Steve briefly mentioned why there is a lack of mini ITX Ryzen boards at launch, and why there are limited models available. He said that after speaking to several motherboard vendors, he is informed that Ryzen boards requires an additional layer of the PCB to the motherboard design when converting them to MINI ITX. It is not a problem to Intel boards. He mentioned it starting at the 2:05 mark of the video:

To be fair, this is a valid reason. (Not some kind of "Intel paid the motherboard vendors to sandbag AMD" BS suggestted by some AMD FANBOYS) However it still raises some questions (to me):

1 - Why the motherboard venders choose to use the ATX chipset (X370/B350), instead of the X/A300 chipset specifically designed for this?

2 - Why they still choose to use the X370 chipset in MINI ITX when most of their boards are VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL to their B350 counterparts? (even with the same power delivery, same ascetics and same IO?)

Discussions are appreciated

2 minutes ago, Steven H said:

2 - Why they still choose to use the X370 chipset when most of their boards are VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL to their B350 counterparts? (even with the same power delivery, same ascetics and same IO?)

X370 supports SLI whereas B350 does not. That's the most important, the other differences are a bit more PCIe Gen2 lanes / SATA connections. I think SLI is important enough that motherboard vendors want to keep selling X370 motherboards.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

X370 supports SLI whereas B350 does not. That's the most important, the other differences are a bit more PCIe Gen2 lanes / SATA connections. I think SLI is important enough that motherboard vendors want to keep selling X370 motherboards.

I think he's talking about ITX boards, where SLI wouldn't matter.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

15 minutes ago, Steven H said:

1 - Why the motherboard venders choose to use the ATX chipset (X370/B350), instead of the X/A300 chipset specifically designed for this?

Both of those feel anemic with the amount of I/O you can have. Only two SATA and 4 USB 3.0 ports (technically 3.1 Gen 1). I need more USB ports than that. And while I only use two SATA ports, my case can support 5 drives total (four without the 2.5" bracket I bought).

15 minutes ago, Steven H said:

2 - Why they still choose to use the X370 chipset when most of their boards are VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL to their B350 counterparts? (even with the same power delivery, same ascetics and same IO?)

According to Wikipedia since it has a chart and I'm too lazy to use Google, the X370 and B350 have different amounts of I/O.

And to answer both questions, it could just be a "need to use up available stock" issue.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

I don't think he is, because of this claim which refers to the same motherboards with different chipsets, which happens a lot on mATX and ATX models.

19 minutes ago, Steven H said:

(even with the same power delivery, same ascetics and same IO?)

And because I don't think there is an X370 motherboard yet available. All B350

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, JDE said:

There's bifurcation if you want to go down that road.

Not like most mainstream platforms would actually have it tho. A TR4 board would if they exist. Also would still need certification I think.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I don't think he is, because of this claim which refers to the same motherboards with different chipsets, which happens a lot on mATX and ATX models.

No I'm strictly refering to mini-ITX

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Both of those feel anemic with the amount of I/O you can have. Only two SATA and 4 USB 3.0 ports (technically 3.1 Gen 1). I need more USB ports than that. And while I only use two SATA ports, my case can support 5 drives total (four without the 2.5" bracket I bought).

While that is fair in some use cases, most ITX deployments are going to be in a small setup where utilizing that many drives is not possible.

As for USB ports, that will also depend on the use case. I only have three items that will permanently take up a USB port, being a keyboard, mouse and web cam. I have a USB drive taking up my final slot of my ITX board, and I still have two front I/O ports available if I need anything else.

I hope more boards start to spring up, because I'd like to upgrade to Ryzen and the lack of choice isn't ideal.

Just now, Steven H said:

No I'm strictly refering to mini-ITX

So have you seen an X370 mITX motherboard that I'm not aware of?

Because right now to my eyes you're asking "why do they do X" when it's clear that they don't do X

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, divito said:

While that is fair in some use cases, most ITX deployments are going to be in a small setup where utilizing that many drives is not possible.

Many of the Mini-ITX DIY market build around cases that are approaching Micro ATX territory and they have plenty of space for drives. Heck, Lian-Li had a case that basically screams "use me as a NAS box."

EDIT: Looking at a sample of four or so Mini-ITX cases, which are the Fractal Define Nano S, Cooler Master Elite 130, Fractal Design Node 304, and Corsair Obsidian 250D, they have at least four internal drive bays. Yeah, two SATA ports is kind of anemic.

EDIT 2: And yes, I found that Zen also comes with SATA ports by default, but it conflicts with NVMe.

As for USB ports, that will also depend on the use case. I only have three items that will permanently take up a USB port, being a keyboard, mouse and web cam. I have a USB drive taking up my final slot of my ITX board, and I still have two front I/O ports available if I need anything else.

The USB port count is likely considering all ports, front and back.

However I had a look at Zen's architecture as a refresher because something hit me and I found that Zen has at least four USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports by default.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

image.png.f6c7b79d946ce5b4fac6c41244373b8d.png  image.png.c64c0c55c3dc50be61f93e4f24e738ff.png

And the funny thing is, they all have their B350 counterparts that looks virtually identical:

image.png.5781881b365c0a6557e402b4a34360af.png

image.png.cb02f5c3a0720ac87974450224d41c09.png

18 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Because right now to my eyes you're asking "why do they do X" when it's clear that they don't do X

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=879

Biostar X370GTN

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=878

Biostar B350GTN

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

14 minutes ago, Steven H said:

And the funny thing is, they all have their B350 counterparts that looks virtually identical:

(snipped images)

Thanks for making the effort to show these, and yeah that's just weird. Especially since X370 on mini-ITX doesn't offer much at all (maybe just bragging rights)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Many of the Mini-ITX DIY market build around cases that are approaching Micro ATX territory and they have plenty of space for drives. Heck, Lian-Li had a case that basically screams "use me as a NAS box."

EDIT: Looking at a sample of four or so Mini-ITX cases, which are the Fractal Define Nano S, Cooler Master Elite 130, Fractal Design Node 304, and Corsair Obsidian 250D, they have at least four internal drive bays. Yeah, two SATA ports is kind of anemic.

My previous ITX case that's just lying around is a BitFenix Prodigy which would hold 5 - 3.5" drives and 6 if I wanted to lay one one in the 5.25" bay.

Wasn't that I disagreed that it wouldn't hurt to bump the two ports to four, just that you'd have to be going for a NAS or professional-type usage for storage to be one of those use cases. There are plenty of ITX cases that can be a good all-around build (storage, space, airflow) or NAS-specific. But for all of those, there are also all the users that want a small, sleek, powerful PC.

Just now, divito said:

Wasn't that I disagreed that it wouldn't hurt to bump the two ports to four, just that you'd have to be going for a NAS or professional-type usage for storage to be one of those use cases. There are plenty of ITX cases that can be a good all-around build (storage, space, airflow) or NAS-specific. But for all of those, there are also all the users that want a small, sleek, powerful PC.

But again, most Mini-ITX builds I've seen don't go for those. And even a sub 15L case like mine can fit 4 SATA devices.

And also I've seen people with multiple drives because like monitors, they'd rather build on top of what they have than replace it.

1 minute ago, Kherm said:

Thank you tech Jesus

U should thank Steve Burke. He is the one who obtained these info

42 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Thanks for making the effort to show these, and yeah that's just weird. Especially since X370 on mini-ITX doesn't offer much at all (maybe just bragging rights)

Bragging right is definitely the factor here as I can say I have the "top of the line" even they have the same feature as their stepped down counterparts. (BTW the x370 is significantly more expensive than the B350 variant)

37 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But again, most Mini-ITX builds I've seen don't go for those. And even a sub 15L case like mine can fit 4 SATA devices.

And also I've seen people with multiple drives because like monitors, they'd rather build on top of what they have than replace it.

I might be alone, I used to love having all my cases full of hard drives, but I slowly shrunk my PC from a full tower, to mid tower, to ITX-based cases. Along the way, I've moved to networked storage and will eventually have a NAS in my Prodigy as my almost 12TB of storage is getting quite full. 

I just wish the market was there to have SFF more on the forefront than it is, especially at places like CES, where everything seems to be dominated by full rigs with fans, RGB and liquid cooling.

2 hours ago, Steven H said:

image.png.f6c7b79d946ce5b4fac6c41244373b8d.png  image.png.c64c0c55c3dc50be61f93e4f24e738ff.png

image.png.5781881b365c0a6557e402b4a34360af.png

image.png.cb02f5c3a0720ac87974450224d41c09.png

I'm seeing a serious lack of right angled+stacked SATA sockets.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

b350 supports crossfire, I dont see why it wouldnt support SLI

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

SLI requires a specific chip for its own purpose that costs money (nvidia sells it) so it's mostly left out of less than high-end boards. Even some Z370 motherboards don't support it.

As it stands, both B350 and X370 will support AMD’s CrossFire multi-GPU technology and the X370 alone will also have support for NVIDIA’s SLI technology.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Motherboards/AMD-Supports-CrossFire-B350-and-X370-Chipsets-However-SLI-Limited-X370

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

SLI requires a specific chip for its own purpose that costs money (nvidia sells it) so it's mostly left out of less than high-end boards. Even some Z370 motherboards don't support it.

Typical, fuck Nvidia.

11 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

B350 isn't required to run GFX provisioned lanes in 2x8, the minimum requirement for SLI. Multiple GFX card setups wasn't the initial intention either, manufacturers and AMD agreed upon it after the fact, and an SLI chipset can't easily be drafted to B350 boards, it's actually built into the x370 chipset.

4 hours ago, Steven H said:

2 - Why they still choose to use the X370 chipset in MINI ITX when most of their boards are VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL to their B350 counterparts? (even with the same power delivery, same ascetics and same IO?)

Because X370 allows for more manufacturer addons without resorting to PLX switches, USB controllers, SATA controllers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

From what I understand after reading the OP, this is an issue with an extra layer of PCB being needed to convert boards to ITX, but how is this related to intel or to quote the OP

It is not, if ever has it been, a problem to Intel boards.

Is this a problem in Intel boards as well? or what? I literally don't understand the context with which this sentence is used and am just asking for clarification.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs