Giving for money

Canada EH

Blood in Canada is free, all you get is some soup, cookies and juice or pop but it takes 5-10 minutes to go through the process, and 3 minutes for the giving blood part. I donate when I remember and have a chance because my blood type can be used on everyone.

Plasma on the other hand, two companies in Canada pay for plasma. Canadian Plasma Resources in Moncton, Saskatoon, and Quebec and Cangene Plasma which is in Winnipeg.

When I heard this on the radio today, I am like right on, but I wondered 1) How long does it take - about 1 hour and 2) How much money can I make - $25-$50.

Needless to say us in AB and BC are out of luck for a getting paid. And you gotta be within 100km of the donation centers in the other provinces.

It got me wondering because our governments are trying to ban companies from paying its donators which is 100% hypocrytical because Canada itself only produces 25% of its requirements. We get the other 75% from the USA which pays its donators. Its typical government BS, if they put the ban in effect then they should ban US blood products as well.

I am all for it! I searched to find a location near me, but there is not. I just wonder now, what is the waiting period between donations. Is it 2 months like blood, if so then thats $50x6=$300 for 6 hours of your time and some of your plasma. Paying would increase donations, and lower the cost spent of US donations.

Would you be more inclined to donate if you were paid cash?

The US does not pay for blood donations it does pay for plasma, about $50 per donation max 5 times a year.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

The US does not pay for blood donations it does pay for plasma, about $50 per donation max 5 times a year.

That is pretty darn good. $50/hour for an IV giving Plasma. And thats USD so in Canadian dollars thats $60cdn.

As for Blood - My understanding of the American system is that yes you can get paid for giving blood, but it needs to be marked that way, I guess for extra testing. I'd guess instituations think its morally wrong, but how hypocritical is that, when you can get paid for Plasma.

I do see the reason why, in blood aspect. Because people wont be forthcoming about their health, but they should test each and every sample taken, I guess they dont do that and just take the honest word of the patient giving blood.

I know when I go to give blood, I take a questionaire and it takes a few minutes to complete. Questions like Have you been to certain African countries, are you gay, intervenous user, unprotected sex, or sex with same gender. The lady on the radio said her gay son cant even donate blood, made the argument and rightfully so how thats a 25+ year old metnality and that she and her family dont donate blood because of the discrimination her gay son gets.

If you have a rare blood type you can still get paid for blood.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

As for Blood - My understanding of the American system is that yes you can get paid for giving blood, but it needs to be marked that way, I guess for extra testing.

In the 36 years I've lived in the US neither the American heart association, the Red Cross or Lifeserve has ever paid for blood donations, that I am aware of. Not sure where your research is taking you and not looking to argue, but you're incorrect.

Then again I live in the Midwest were such incentive tactics are not needed, those who live in the Midwest give incessantly without question or compensation. I can see SCal or NY possibly needing to give incentive but I would have a hard time believing that.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

In the 36 years I've lived in the US neither the American heart association, the Red Cross or Lifeserve has ever paid for blood donations, that I am aware of. Not sure where your research is taking you and not looking to argue, but you're incorrect.

Then again I live in the Midwest were such incentive tactics are not needed, those who live in the Midwest give incessantly without question or compensation. I can see SCal or NY possibly needing to give incentive but I would have a hard time believing that.

NY needs incentive to do a lot of things by the look of it.

Its intriguing is all SansV

They state you can go twice in a 7 day period, So $100/wk = $400/mth = $5K/year for 144 hours of your time and PLASMA money ;)

That is not bad!

This article below states blood blood blood but last paragraph states Plasma. Odd. They seem to use the term so loosely.

http://www.ineedmoneyasap.com/2014/02/donate-blood-for-money/

Maybe all this time when people were saying I got money for giving blood, they were actually giving plasma. Two Totally different things!

One takes 5-10 minutes the other much much much longer! like 1.5hrs!

http://www.donatingplasma.org/donation/donor-faq

https://www.statnews.com/2016/01/22/paid-plasma-not-blood/

Put one BONUS to the side of USA in the living in USA vs Canada debate.

Which is make an extra $5K/yr for 144 hours of your time and PLASMA not blood. I see myself interchanging blood and plasma, though they are the same.

Blood has different components. It is composed of RBC, or red blood cells, WBC, or white blood cells, platelets, and lastly plasma. Plasma is the component of blood that is fluid in nature. This sub-component of blood carries nutrients and clotting factors.

I was given plasma when I almost died in my apartment in my college days. I think about those days when I pass it every once in a while. That is one of the major reasons why I give blood because I have been given blood with all my injuries and surgeries. Its fast, blood donating takes 10 minutes, free soup and cookies and its easy to do. I will def be giving plasma atleast once.

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Its intriguing is all SansV

They state you can go twice in a 7 day period, So $100/wk = $400/mth = $5K/year for 144 hours of your time and PLASMA money ;)

That is not bad!

This article below states blood blood blood but last paragraph states Plasma. Odd. They seem to use the term so loosely.

http://www.ineedmoneyasap.com/2014/02/donate-blood-for-money/

Maybe all this time when people were saying I got money for giving blood, they were actually giving plasma. Two Totally different things!

One takes 5-10 minutes the other much much much longer! like 1.5hrs!

http://www.donatingplasma.org/donation/donor-faq

https://www.statnews.com/2016/01/22/paid-plasma-not-blood/

Put one BONUS to the side of USA in the living in USA vs Canada debate.

Which is make an extra $5K/yr for 144 hours of your time and PLASMA not blood. I see myself interchanging blood and plasma, though they are the same.

I was given plasma when I almost died in my apartment in my college days. I think about those days when I pass it every once in a while. That is one of the major reasons why I give blood because I have been given blood with all my injuries and surgeries. Its fast, blood donating takes 10 minutes, free soup and cookies and its easy to do. I will def be giving plasma atleast once.

You be dead 

I am alive and kicking!

Thanks to Plasma and Blood donations from other people.

I always hear commercials about how we are short on blood.

The radio show I was talking to had a caller that argued against giving much needed blood products to people at the end of their life.

5 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I am alive and kicking!

Thanks to Plasma and Blood donations from other people.

I always hear commercials about how we are short on blood.

The radio show I was talking to had a caller that argued against giving much needed blood products to people at the end of their life.

I couldn’t donate if I wanted to becase I had blood drawn like 10 times in the last 4 weeks lol

I'd sell my blood if I could, Brazil also forbids commercializing blood, I personally feel it is idiotic because like 1% of the national population donates and that is no where near enough to supply the demand, but "morals" must be so high people rather let others die than pay some for the blood and later still have the guts to say "there is no price when talking about life".

Call me hypocrite but I don't donate simply because I disagree with forbidding that you sell it in a world where sperm is allowed to be sold, and I know my blood could be very useful because I'm O-

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I don't get your argument at all. Why should Canada ban US imports of plasma if they change the payment laws? That's incredibly short sighted. 

I don't think you understand why Canada wants to ban it. The clinics in question are for profit, meaning it doesn't go into the general supply like the blood and plasma you donate for free does. It goes to private practices and the highest bidder. The government is worried that people will stop donating for free, instead going to private facilities, and as a result they will have to import MORE, not less, and likely at a greater cost.  

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't donate regularly, but I have donated multiple times in the past, and wish to do so more often. I'm O Neg, so my blood is very valuable.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Can't it be afforded by the state? countries like Canada and Brazil that offers its population health care financed by the government through its taxes could find legal and safe ways to set a an agreeable monetary value for blood buy it and make it available on the public health care.

Costs? that is why we pay taxes for, if it is in the law make it happen, all it takes is the legislature get more into 21 century if you ask me.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

20 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Can't it be afforded by the state? countries like Canada and Brazil that offers its population health care financed by the government through its taxes could find legal and safe ways to set a an agreeable monetary value for blood buy it and make it available on the public health care.

Costs? that is why we pay taxes for, if it is in the law make it happen, all it takes is the legislature get more into 21 century if you ask me.

The "state" (Province or nation, in our case) could afford to do that, but it could increase the cost of health care, which would mean either reduced funding elsewhere, or higher taxes to pay for the new payments.

One might argue that it could be net equal, given we already purchase some blood from the US, but it's certainly not automatically a good idea. Weighing all the factors, including costs, would be required before I could say one way or the other.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

The "state" (Province or nation, in our case) could afford to do that, but it could increase the cost of health care, which would mean either reduced funding elsewhere, or higher taxes to pay for the new payments.

Don't people say all the time "there is no price for a life?" the nation as whole should consider it for the greater good, if this could potentially resolve the low blood supplies in the health system and save lives it certainly deserves discussion before dismissing it only due to its costs.

Personal Desktop":

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Don't people say all the time "there is no price for a life?" the nation as whole should consider it for the greater good, if this could potentially resolve the low blood supplies in the health system and save lives it certainly deserves discussion before dismissing it only due to its costs.

Sure, but if we're already getting our blood from the US (or any other location) that happens to be cheaper than paying for more local supplies, is that really beneficial?

As I said, there's a lot to consider. It's a complex question.