Liquid Colling Loop with Copper and Nickel

Go to solution Solved by 2FA,

They do not interact with each other, aluminum will though so don't touch that at all. Same goes for silver, that will interact with the nickel.

Hello, everyone, I'm looking up parts for liquid cooling and galvanic corrosion comes up a lot. I understand what it is, but in the video "Fully RGB Water Cooling..." the fittings they use are copper based and the monoblock from strix - as far as I have found - only comes in nickel. Wouldn't that induce galvanic corrosion? I ask because that monoblock looks sexy as all hell and I would like to use those fittings because they look sexy as hell as well. 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

They do not interact with each other, aluminum will though so don't touch that at all. Same goes for silver, that will interact with the nickel.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

And anything you see nickel is really copper thats been nickel plated its fine to mix them.Like said aluminum is a big no no metal to mix with other metals.And like said with nickel never use anything silver like a kill coil in that it will eat the nickel.

Thanks very much, mates. Didn't think this forum would be so active. 

6 minutes ago, RedTheTyrant said:

Hello, everyone, I'm looking up parts for liquid cooling and galvanic corrosion comes up a lot. I understand what it is, but in the video "Fully RGB Water Cooling..." the fittings they use are copper based and the monoblock from strix - as far as I have found - only comes in nickel. Wouldn't that induce galvanic corrosion? I ask because that monoblock looks sexy as all hell and I would like to use those fittings because they look sexy as hell as well. 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

As said nickel, copper including brass are not a problem together, the blocks themselves are copper based just nickel plated mainly for aesthetics.

Google Galvanic corrosion index.

Its best to keep mixed metal within 0.15 of each other on the galvanic index when dealing with a water loop.

So for example, Silver, Nickel, Titanium, Copper, Brass, and bronze are all ok to mix.

Though do still add a corrosion inhibitor to ur liquid.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Mixing Silver and copper is worse than mixing silver and nickle, and people mix silver and copper all the time.

Silver has an index of -0.15, Nickle -0.30 and Copper -0.35. In the harshest of environments a difference of 0.15 is the max recommended. Now a water loops isnt exactly the harshest since it isnt salty, or open to the elements, and we use Distilled water and corrosion inhibitors, or premixed coolants, so a differnece of 0.15 is playing it real safe and thats still ok for silver and nickle to mix.

Perhaps EK just has super thin plating and is playing it extra safe, though plenty of people still use silver with ek parts. Some fittings tend to be silver inside so people dont have to use silver kill coils, speaking of which many people use them with EK stuff.

Now i use Ek water blocks with Monsoon fititngs which i do beleve are silver plated. While i have yet to take apart my Blocks, i have not seen any particulates in my res, water is crystal clear and cooling is fine, i see no evidence of possible corrosion after years of use.

Honestly i wouldnt worry about it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Silver and nickel don’t play well in a loop, there has been independent testing done on it and it was concluded that silver and even stuff like PT nuke (copper chloride) type is not recommended. They are just borderline dissilar metals in a loop

environment to cause galvanic corrosion. 

Also EKWB voids their warranty if there is any silver used with their blocks or components.