What Linux Distro should I put on my old laptop?

So, I recently built an awesome desktop PC, and my old laptop (which is pretty crappy) has been sitting around. It's this one, an HP 15-G 15.6 Laptop (https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-G-15-6-Laptop-A8/dp/B00LJXXLDK), except it only has a 500GB hdd.  I want to put a lightweight version of Linux on it, and was considering Puppy, but don't know which pup to put on it. I was also recommended the beta of Pixel Linux (Made by Raspberry Pi). What lightweight OS should I put. Also, when I'm done with it, could I reinstall windows (I saved the product key) and sell it?

or Mint

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Lubuntu and Xubuntu are great for lightweight use. If you want to go a bit further, I'd suggest Arch Linux, thought you'll need a bit of Linux knowledge to get it installed.

Yes, you'll be able to reinstall Windows and sell it once you're done with it.

If OP is asking

What Linux Distro should I put on my old laptop?

then OP has no Linux knowledge! Thats why I mentioned the ones I mentioned.

50 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

If OP is asking

then OP has no Linux knowledge! Thats why I mentioned the ones I mentioned.

Yep, virtually NO Linux knowledge whatsoever. Why would you say Lubuntu and Xubuntu vs other light Linuxes? I'd love to learn.

2 hours ago, MF270 said:

Yep, virtually NO Linux knowledge whatsoever. Why would you say Lubuntu and Xubuntu vs other light Linuxes? I'd love to learn.

you most likely want a Linus distro with MS Windows feel right?

5 hours ago, MF270 said:

LXDE, LXQt and Xfce are the 3 lightest Linux desktop environements.

A desktop environment (DE) is just the GUI that makes your OS intuitive. Without it, you'd just have the command-line, like MS-DOS.

LXDE and LXQt are the lightest of the 3, but are a bit more bare bones than Xfce. That's never been a problem in my experience, but I guess if you wanted to do something uncommon like use a Wacom tablet it might.

LXQt is the newest and nicest looking one of the 3.

Xfce has been around since 1996 and is the most mature, but it doesn't look like it's from the 90s.

Lubuntu uses LXDE, but will switch to LXQt at some point because that's where development has moved to.

Xubuntu uses Xfce.

Ubuntu based distros are often recommended to beginners because it's popular and there's tons of community support. Most information that doesn't have anything to do with a specific desktop environment will apply to all Ubuntu based distros.

7 hours ago, Canada EH said:

you most likely want a Linus distro with MS Windows feel right?

I'd say so. At least pretty close.

If you are coming fresh from Windows I would run Zorin OS (lightweight version).

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

13 hours ago, JayKay3000 said:

Kubuntu then. The UI looks like windows, but it's a bit heavier than other distros. Mints cinnamon with it's slab menu is also fairly classic windows ish. Not had to get under the hood with mint either.

Mint is also one of the most out of the box friendly distros. Including media codecs and dvd playback. My mum can use mint easily and she knows less computers than a two year old child.

You can get by on 2GB ram on mint.

Kubuntu, while pretty used to suffer from stability. I used to often get 'stuff' crashing or ''x, y, z has crashed' which would get a bit annoying. But the interface, XP ish in look is really neat. Some cool features in KDE like desktop folders and some pretty cool inbuilt desktop gadgets. Just a generally pretty UI to use. When it works.

I still don't like Kubuntu since it uses libinput Xorg drivers by default even though libinput isn't fully supported by KDE Plasma yet and causes slow scrolling issues with Qt Quick.

i'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon right now, and even with 7 tabs in chrome and a load of other crap open i'm sitting at 3.2 GB ram used. 

in other words, your laptop is good enough to run pretty "heavy" linux distro's. 

i'd use Linux Mint Mate. it uses less ram as the Cinnamon version, and is light overall. 

it also has a very familiar ui for someone coming from Windows. 

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

use the 64-bit Mate version. 

She/Her