Brand new build freezing and shutting down while gaming

Lauen
Go to solution Solved by Lauen,

Last update.

After testing all sorts of combinations of RAM sticks and slots, I've concluded that one of the sticks of RAM was faulty. I'm currently using the PC with just 1 stick of RAM and have contacted retailer for RMA, and they are sending me a brand new kit with no requirement to return the kit with the one faulty stick. This then naturally results in me getting 3 sticks of RAM so I'll get 12 GB with only cost being my time. 

Very frustrating that none of the error codes I ever got were actually related to RAM. 

Been having this issue for some days now. Recently built a brand spanking new system apart from case and SSD's. I pretty much only play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive but the game will freeze randomly, and sometimes the entire system just stops completely, and sometimes it just restarts. I have reinstalled Windows several times, tried both of my SSD's, tried 3 different graphics cards, but the problem persists in one form or another. I had a similar issue right before christmas, but that was on a different motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card, and power supply. 

Temps are A-Okay (my CPU barely goes over 50C, gfx card hovering around 60C (checked with Ryzen Master and HWMonitor). 

The specs are: 

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler (Noctua NH-D15 is being delivered tomorrow as it was not in stock when I ordered)

MSI X370 SLI Plus with newest BIOS from MSI's site

Corsair Low Profile 8 GB DDR4 kit (2x4GB running stock speed at the moment but is rated for 3000 mhz) 

Gigabyte Aorus GTX1060 3GB card (but also happens at a much worse rate with a Zotac GTX970 AMP Extreme and an ASUS GTX660Ti DCUII, both of those have run overclocked in the past but I have reverted to stock speeds for troubleshooting purposes. Those cards also give me a bluescreen, error code "video scheduler internal error)

SeaSonic Focus+ 550W 80+ Gold PSU (tried both hybrid fan mode and fully active) 

Samsung 830 SSD 256GB 

Crucial M4 SSD 256 GB

in a Fractal Design Define C case (with a window, very pretty) 

Originally I was just gonna use the 970 I had, but for troubleshooting purposes I ordered this 1060 (would have gotten an RX580 so I could use FreeSync on my monitor but not in stock anywhere and costs almost twice as much as 1060's do right now) 

I have reinstalled and formatted BOTH SSD's multiple times, I have reseated graphics card and tried another PCI-e slot, and I am currently running FurMark stresstest to see what happens, it's been running for 11 minutes at time of typing this and no issues. I have also reinstalled the game a couple of times, and tried the game on both SSD's to no avail. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

1 minute ago, Lauen said:

oh and I'm using Windows 10, should be fully updated as there are no updates when I search. 

Did you completely reinstall Windows when transferring the drives, or are you running on your old OS?

Go into event viewer and take a look at both System and Application tabs and see what is flagged. It might be an application issue, might be a voltage drop that causes a crash. It'll provide a little bit of insight into what the issue could be.

6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Did you completely reinstall Windows when transferring the drives, or are you running on your old OS?

Go into event viewer and take a look at both System and Application tabs and see what is flagged. It might be an application issue, might be a voltage drop that causes a crash. It'll provide a little bit of insight into what the issue could be.

I did a complete format of BOTH drives and clean reinstall (multiple times). 

In the event log I see a BUNCH of errors with the following description:

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x408030=0x80000003

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table.

I also see some "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." here and there along with the previously describer error. 

24 minutes ago, Lauen said:

I should maybe also mention that after getting the new graphics card I did a completely clean reinstall. 

If you've tried installing the Nvidia drivers and still get the same error, do you have the old GPU to try? If it isn't a driver issue (installing the drivers for the GPU), then there might be a hardware fault.

I'm assuming you're not OC? And I'd assume you've installed Nvidia drivers each time you've reformatted?

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If you've tried installing the Nvidia drivers and still get the same error, do you have the old GPU to try? If it isn't a driver issue (installing the drivers for the GPU), then there might be a hardware fault.

I'm assuming you're not OC? And I'd assume you've installed Nvidia drivers each time you've reformatted?

The other cards I have handy (as described in OP) seem to be dying, as with those the freezing happens a lot more often, and even BSOD some times. Those used to be overclocked but I reverted to factory settings, and my current setup is running completely stock too. Before I got this new card, I tried 4 different drivers, from March 2017 up until the newest one, had same error with all of them. I can try new card with old driver in just a sec. 

19 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I used DDU to remove the newest driver in safe mode, rebooted, downloaded and installed driver 385.41, started up CS:GO and 1 second after spawning, I get a BSOD with "video scheduler internal error". 

I know this question might sound ridicules, but what monitor are you running??

I know it it freesync but what brand??

Just now, MaorRX said:

I know this question might sound ridicules, but what monitor are you running??

I know it it freesync but what brand??

It's a Samsung C24FG73. I'm connected via DisplayPort and I have tried 2 different DisplayPort cables. 

Just now, Lauen said:

It's a Samsung C24FG73. I'm connected via DisplayPort and I have tried 2 different DisplayPort cables. 

Try using HDMI. I know this sounds ridicules but i have had a similar issue to yours and i had to switch my monitor to be able to use display port. 

I also just experienced, whilst trying the game RimWorld to see if that works any better than CS:GO, the game crashed, my main monitor (the Samsung C24FG73) video signal got cut, and I had to unplug and replug the DisplayPort for it to show up again. event viewer is littered with "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." 

I also just experienced, whilst trying the game RimWorld to see if that works any better than CS:GO, the game crashed, my main monitor (the Samsung C24FG73) video signal got cut, and I had to unplug and replug the DisplayPort for it to show up again. event viewer is littered with "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." 

Try using hdmi, see if issue persists. Because this could resolve all of the issues!

10 minutes ago, MaorRX said:

Try using hdmi, see if issue persists. Because this could resolve all of the issues!

Disconnected the DisplayPort and ran only HDMI, no difference at all, still freezes. 

Disconnected the DisplayPort and ran only HDMI, no difference at all, still freezes. 

Ok so you have different issue then the one i had, good luck.

Could be anything PSU,CPU,Motherboard, etc.

I would find a friend who has lots of computer hardware and try testing stuff. 

Or just take it to a computer shop for diagnosis.

Seems I don't even need to be playing games for my PC to crash now, just bluescreened with "video scheduler internal error" while just watching a youtube video. 

12 minutes ago, Lauen said:

Seems I don't even need to be playing games for my PC to crash now, just bluescreened with "video scheduler internal error" while just watching a youtube video. 

I would RMA the card or exchange it if you are still in return policy.

31 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I would RMA the card or exchange it if you are still in return policy.

Gotcha. I will be speaking to the support department of the etailer I bought all the parts from. 

3 hours ago, Lauen said:

Gotcha. I will be speaking to the support department of the etailer I bought all the parts from. 

Awesome. Keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for practicing necromancy on this thread, but after RMA'ing the motherboard, the retailer sent it back claiming there were no issues at all with it. 

I rebuilt the rig, and had the exact same issues as before right away. Freezing all the time, random black screens, a bluescreen every once in a while. My brother who lives in the same dorm as me has an almost identical rig, and I swapped around some memory from his rig with some luck, it seemed to run fine with his memory. I tried my memory again, one stick at first, was fine, then added the other and the issues came back. After a LOT of extra troubleshooting, I've arrived at the conclusion that one of my RAM sticks is faulty. 

I will be doing more troubleshooting around that just to be certain before I call the retailer to set up an RMA on the RAM sticks, but so far it looks like I've finally found the culprit. I will update this post when I have gone through that RMA process again. 

Last update.

After testing all sorts of combinations of RAM sticks and slots, I've concluded that one of the sticks of RAM was faulty. I'm currently using the PC with just 1 stick of RAM and have contacted retailer for RMA, and they are sending me a brand new kit with no requirement to return the kit with the one faulty stick. This then naturally results in me getting 3 sticks of RAM so I'll get 12 GB with only cost being my time. 

Very frustrating that none of the error codes I ever got were actually related to RAM.