What's the best resolution is the best for my situation?

Shouxin

So, I haven't yet gotten an actual computer monitor yet, my parents said they would buy me one for some special occasion in the future. For the time being, I have to put up with my television, which really isn't any good for gaming on. I have a gaming computer, nice peripherals, basically I'm just waiting on a new monitor now. But there's a problem, the resolution(s) are really weird. 1920x1080 looks really ugly, 1366,768 is the best-looking resolution and still looks bad. There are other resolutions I won't mention because they don't look apart from the two others I described before. 

Is there anything I should consider when choosing a resolution on a television? I really don't know. Also, I can supply you with any information and/or pictures regarding this topic. 

How big is the TV how far away from it do you sit ? But btw 1920*1080 cant look worse that 1366*768 maybe its your pc that cant deliver enough frames in games or do you mean the actual picture quality ? Do you have any kind of budget because a decent Full HD monitor with 60 HZ is not really expensive. 

35 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

How big is the TV how far away from it do you sit ? But btw 1920*1080 cant look worse that 1366*768 maybe its your pc that cant deliver enough frames in games or do you mean the actual picture quality ? Do you have any kind of budget because a decent Full HD monitor with 60 HZ is not really expensive. 

I meant actual picture quality, I don't sit very far away from my screen and my screen is 24 inches. This what it actually looks like; http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/televisions/led-lcd-televisions/panasonic-24-hd-led-lcd-tv-en-3.html 

As mentioned, my parents want to buy me a gaming monitor for my birthday or something because they want me to give my current television to my little sister, so I don't know how expensive of a monitor I can get. Probably 600-1000 dollars.

1 hour ago, Shouxin said:

So, I haven't yet gotten an actual computer monitor yet, my parents said they would buy me one for some special occasion in the future. For the time being, I have to put up with my television, which really isn't any good for gaming on. I have a gaming computer, nice peripherals, basically I'm just waiting on a new monitor now. But there's a problem, the resolution(s) are really weird. 1920x1080 looks really ugly, 1366,768 is the best-looking resolution and still looks bad. There are other resolutions I won't mention because they don't look apart from the two others I described before. 

Is there anything I should consider when choosing a resolution on a television? I really don't know. Also, I can supply you with any information and/or pictures regarding this topic. 

47 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Most likely the TV is 1366×768, but accepts 1080p signals and downscales them. This will look blurrier than 1366×768, the only reason it's there is so they can advertise "1080p-ready" or something like that without having to actually have a 1080p screen. This is quite common on cheap TVs. If you have an actual 1080p screen then 1080p will look much better.

Unlike old CRT monitors LCD's have a Native resolution that looks best. that TV is 1,366x768 (pretty much 720p slightly better).

knowing your graphics and cpu power will help you pick a montior

In the old days you could just drop the res if you were having horsepower issues but if you do this with an LCD it will look ugly as it will no longer be at native res (which you have noticed on the TV)

you have a few questions you need to ask your self

what will you be using it for?

what res do you want/ can your rig handle now and near future until you upgrade gpu (720p, 1080p, 1440p or some other res)?

how important is response time to you and input lag

what Hz do you want need/notice

do you care about freesync and/or G-sync

i just got a new monitor

AG241QX (1440p, 24", 144Hz, TN panel, ugly antigalre coating), i have a GTX 1070 and a 4770K @ 4.5Ghz

that was an upgrade form a viewsonic LED backlight TN 1080P 60Hz monitor

52 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

1440p 24" may exist, though you may still need to apply some scaling.

I use a 1440p 23,8 inch and its pretty fine without scaling if you sit 60 cm from it and have good eyes. However about 4k at that screen size some old applications ( and some not so old ones lol like precision X )don`t support scaling at all so in some cases it will hurt to go 4k then you can only go and get magnifying glasses or windows built in function for grannys :) 

For $600+ you would be looking at a 27 inch 1440p 144 hz monitor from a named gaming brand like asus or acer to name a couple, 1920x1080p would be minimum and 2560x1440p would be good if you pc can handle it, also 2560x1080p would be ok, depends on pc specs, if your a hardcore csgo player then I would say a 24 inch 200+ Hz monitor 

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8