Win 10 hotspot stuck on 'Disconnecting' and 'Applying Settings'

electrolux
Go to solution Solved by keskparane,

Ok. Next thing I think then would be to try uninstalling the drivers, removing the device, restarting windows, reinstalling drivers.

My mobile hotspot in Win cannot be turned on the quick toggle in the corner shows as 'disconnecting' and when turning it on from settings its permanently stuck on 'Applying Settings'. It used to work just fine before.

This seems to be a common problem on forums but none of the solutions have helped, I feel like my only option now is to re-install Win 10.

Here are the things I've tried:

• Restarting
  • Going into another account
  • Disabling and re-enabling the Wireless network adapter
  • Enabling sharing in ethernet adapter. (Wireless adapter sharing tab doesn't exist!)
  • Tried turning on the hotspot manually in CMD which shows 'The hosted network couldn't be started. The wireless local area network interface is powered down and doesn't support the requested operation.'
  • Enabling Adhoc support
  • Resetting Windows firewall settings

I know my adapter supports hotspotting fine as it was working before and the output shows Hosted network supported: Yes

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

Perhaps try connecting it to a network then going back to hotspot mode?

Assuming you have a suitable phone you could create a hotspot on it and connect to it with you pc in the hope it will bring it out of whatever strange loop it is caught in.

Then you can disconnect and go back and try setting up the hotspot on your pc.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

14 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Perhaps try connecting it to a network then going back to hotspot mode?

Assuming you have a suitable phone you could create a hotspot on it and connect to it with you pc in the hope it will bring it out of whatever strange loop it is caught in.

Then you can disconnect and go back and try setting up the hotspot on your pc.

The internet connection is fine on the laptop as I have an Ethernet cable plugged in.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

1 minute ago, electrolux said:

The internet connection is fine on the laptop as I have an Ethernet cable plugged in.

Your internet might be just fine, but what has that got to do with fixing your hotspot problem?

My suggestion is about trying to get the wifi woking in another mode to break it out of whatever cycle it is currently in.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 minute ago, keskparane said:

Your internet might be just fine, but what has that got to do with fixing your hotspot problem?

My suggestion is about trying to get the wifi woking in another mode to break it out of whatever cycle it is currently in.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you. I've already tried connecting it to my home WiFi network. It connects fine but doesn't do anything for the hotspot.

Ok. Next thing I think then would be to try uninstalling the drivers, removing the device, restarting windows, reinstalling drivers.

54 minutes ago, keskparane said:

That worked! Thank you so much :D

Just saved me from re-installing.

• 7 months later...
On 1/15/2018 at 10:08 AM, electrolux said:

That worked! Thank you so much :D

Just saved me from re-installing.

im having the same problem. dont know how to do that

On 1/15/2018 at 9:16 AM, keskparane said:

can i get some help on how to do that

5 hours ago, zohir said:

can i get some help on how to do that

Assuming win 10...

1. Right click start. Select Apps and Features.
  2. Uninstall any driver packages specifically related to the network card if they are there. (eg Intel/Broadcom/Realtek driver package)
  3. Right click start. Select computer management.
  4. Select device manager. Expand Network adapters.
  5. Right click on your network adapter and select uninstall.
  6. Restart windows.
  7. Reinstall driver package if required. Usually with networks I don't bother though.

• 7 months later...

Go to Settings-Networks and Internet- Network Reset -Reset

After 5 mins system will restart and pblm will be recovered

• 2 years later...

First time using LTT forum to solve a problem 10/10 would do again.
I did not do exactly what was suggested, I rolled back my drivers, disabled the device, restarted and then updated the driver, and that fixed it, so same same but different.

Thanks a lot.