To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ehawkins2232

Unplugged GPU, Computer powered off, PSU still on

Posted · Original PosterOP

So a buddy of mine just called me, and told me that he was unplugging his editing PCs gpu (gtx 970) and swapping it with a gtx 1070ti, but he didn't turn of the PSU. Now he is attempting to turn back on the computer, but all that happens is his fans turn on for a second then turn off. I think it might be possible that he fried something inside the computer.

-I have limited knowledge of the specs, except the 2 gpus he swapped

-He is running Windows 10

- I do not have the time to look at the pc right now, but he tells me that there is no burning smell coming from the case.

I suggested he tried to at least get into the bios, but it seems the system doesn't even want to post. Any suggestions?

you should never ever unplug or plug PCI-e , DIMM, CPU or any thing.... even SATA Drives if your motherboard is still being powered on by the PSU, doing so can result in damaged hardware.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

I am aware of that, but my friend was not. It's pretty obvious that it would cause damage. However, I am asking for suggestions that I can tell him over the phone ( I can't meet with him at the moment)

8 minutes ago, Eric Hawkins said:

I am aware of that, but my friend was not. It's pretty obvious that it would cause damage. However, I am asking for suggestions that I can tell him over the phone ( I can't meet with him at the moment)

I can't think of much to do rather than see if he can claim a warranty on it

17 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

you should never ever unplug or plug PCI-e , DIMM, CPU or any thing.... even SATA Drives if your motherboard is still being powered on by the PSU, doing so can result in damaged hardware.

What should the next step be?

2 minutes ago, Eric Hawkins said:

What should the next step be?

Tell him to try the usual troubleshooting steps:

1) Try to boot without GPU (if iGPU exists) and only one stick of ram (if possible), also have him try different dimm slots

2) Clear CMOS, just because

3) Try again.

If there are debug codes or debug leds on the board, use those as guides. All of this is to try to find the extent of the damage. Without extra hardware, it's hard to find damaged components at times. It's possible only the board is dead, it's also possible that the cpu is dead as well as a number of other things. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

9 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Tell him to try the usual troubleshooting steps:

1) Try to boot without GPU (if iGPU exists) and only one stick of ram (if possible), also have him try different dimm slots

2) Clear CMOS, just because

3) Try again.

If there are debug codes or debug leds on the board, use those as guides. All of this is to try to find the extent of the damage. Without extra hardware, it's hard to find damaged components at times. It's possible only the board is dead, it's also possible that the cpu is dead as well as a number of other things. 

Thx for the help, I appreciate it!