US Rep proposes Gov Ban on Huawei, ZTE under "National security" grounds

ItsMitch

This story is coming in from El Register - "Yay, it's power play day: Conaway prays the USA say 'No way' to Huawei'"

A law bill introduced into the US House of Representatives would, if passed, ban Uncle Sam's agencies from using stuff made by Chinese mobile giants ZTE and Huawei.

The proposed legislation, drafted by Rep Mike Conaway (R-TX), would bar government staffers from purchasing or operating any hardware, software, or services from either company or any of their subsidiaries. Known as HR 4747, or the Defending US Government Communications Act, the bill was introduced Tuesday, announced today, and is before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform for scrutiny. It has many hurdles to clear before it gets anywhere near the law books.

According to the House Representative, it's to do to "close relations with the Chinese Government" and in the best interests of "National Security". He went on to say 

"Chinese commercial technology is a vehicle for the Chinese government to spy on United States federal agencies, posing a severe national security threat,” 

I  dunno, this seems really weird to me, but one big note when you discuss this please be nice to one another, 

The bill can be found on the Congress.gov website

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/4747/text

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I can understand why, although I'd expect something more along the lines of requiring American made rather than singling out two companies like this.

From what I'm reading, they're proposing a ban on every Chinese mobile company that's selling in the States (Huawei, Datang, Zhongxing, ZTE) because of close ties to the Chinese Government

i can understand why they're concerned & kinda get the point of it , But i feel like it should be restricted to high profile people with close government ties that are susceptible to be spied on rather than a blanket ban.

Details separate people.

It sounds like the US government’s ban on Kaspersky AV. Does the the US government have any information or technical data that these Chinese smartphone OEMs are spying on Americans or is it just guilt by association which the US government is notorious about? I want to know. ?

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

It sounds like the US government’s ban on Kaspersky AV. Does the the US government have any information or technical data that these Chinese smartphone OEMs are spying on Americans or is it just guilt by association which the US government is notorious about? 

In March 2017, ZTE Corporation pled guilty to conspiring to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act by illegally shipping U.S.-origin items to Iran, paying the United States Government a penalty of $892,360,064 dollars for activity between January 2010 and January 2016

I think there is more to it than risk of being spied on too based on this.

Do we have nothing better to do in Congress?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

we have bigger problems to solve than that bullshit i guess

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, rawrdaysgoby said:

Lmao so now you guys are doing the samething china has been?!?!

what

23 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I can understand why, although I'd expect something more along the lines of requiring American made rather than singling out two companies like this.

We banned Kaspersky, so this isn't without precedent. There are also mullings to ban U.S. companies from storing any customer or financial data in the Alibaba or AWS Taiwan/China datacentres.

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

what

China and Russia both have bans on equipment made by some U.S. IT companies seen as working too closely with the federal government. They also have their own custom national instruction set architectures planned to replace x86 and ARM since they see these as foreign spying tools in disguise.

Just now, Bit_Guardian said:

China and Russia both have bans on equipment made by some U.S. IT companies seen as working too closely with the federal government. They also have their own custom national instruction set architectures planned to replace x86 and ARM since they see these as foreign spying tools in disguise.

Ah thanks, his wording wasn't the best so I got confused. thanks for the heads up

18 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Do we have nothing better to do in Congress?

This one I see as more legitimate than the Kaspersky ban tbh. That said, no, we don't, because we have an idiot for president riding in on the coattails of low-IQ uber-nationalists with chips on their shoulders from the last 8 years and no understanding of the global economy and how coal is dying even in China and that robots are taking Chinese jobs already.

The GOP has nothing better to do than stoke the fear of the people and look like they're defending the Homeland from foreigners.

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I think there is more to it than risk of being spied on too based on this.

Fair enough. Perhaps it’s better if government officials just stick to iPhones 

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Fair enough. Perhaps it’s better if government officials just stick to iPhones 

Only so long as Apple doesn't include stock ARM cores on their SOCs. Oh wait...

Also, ARM is Chinese-owned now and can revise the ARM v9 standard to produce security holes in the instruction decoding and speculative execution.

DAMN!!! :D

All the more reason to support these brands. Huawei is the best phone maker on the market anyway. :)

32 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Also, ARM is Chinese-owned now and can revise the ARM v9 standard to produce security holes in the instruction decoding and speculative execution.

Apple designs their own chips mind you and they have the freedom not to follow instruction set and design of ARM if they wish to. An example of which is when Apple surprised everyone in 2013 when they released the first commercially available 64-bit ARM SoC (A7 chip with M7 motion coprocessor and Secure Enclave coprocessor) when during that time ARM didn’t released the specs of 64-bit ARM SoC just yet. 

People love to put Apple under the bus all the time but Apple controlling both hardware and software gives them an edge than other phone OEMs when it comes to security. 

54 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

All the more reason to support these brands. Huawei is the best phone maker on the market anyway. :)

they make a lot more than phones. they also make enterprise networking gear

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, Bit_Guardian said:

This one I see as more legitimate than the Kaspersky ban tbh. That said, no, we don't, because we have an idiot for president riding in on the coattails of low-IQ uber-nationalists with chips on their shoulders from the last 8 years and no understanding of the global economy and how coal is dying even in China and that robots are taking Chinese jobs already.

I sheer it as sheer economic protectionism, which is a recipe for failure. If you want business to be funneled to a US company, then find a US company that can make a better piece of equipment for less. It's like the Boeing/Bombardier tariff thing. Boeing wants to protect a market segment it doesn't participate in from foreign interference by placing a 300% tariff on a plan that will be built in Alabama.

Build a better plane, assholes.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

1 hour ago, Bit_Guardian said:

They are Japanese-owned.

China's industrial espionage system works on the "thousand leaves on the wind" approach. They tend to apply that as well to normal espionage. Given China's Electronic Warfare approach, no government officials should use any Chinese-made device.

That last little bit points to something to expect to see over the next decade: In-Sourcing. Governments are going to start requiring more things to be built locally, almost explicitly for security reasons. US Defense Tech is mostly done that way, and a lot of countries are going to go that direction if they can.

35 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I sheer it as sheer economic protectionism, which is a recipe for failure. If you want business to be funneled to a US company, then find a US company that can make a better piece of equipment for less. It's like the Boeing/Bombardier tariff thing. Boeing wants to protect a market segment it doesn't participate in from foreign interference by placing a 300% tariff on a plan that will be built in Alabama.

Build a better plane, assholes.

Boeing does build the better planes honestly, though airlines do love to cram them horribly.

But for federal government, I don't see THIS as ECONOMIC protectionism. The federal government isn't enough business to really be a lynchpin customer when it comes to IT. The DOD might be, but not the federal government as a whole.

14 minutes ago, N0rm said:

They are Japanese-owned.

No. Chinese now. China bought out the Tshingua group (owner of Softbank) when no one was looking and got ARM in the same swing. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-18/did-china-just-buy-most-important-company-world

2 hours ago, Bit_Guardian said:

The GOP has nothing better to do than stoke the fear of the people and look like they're defending the Homeland from foreigners.

You might want to find better sources for understanding of Global Economics. Or you've drank the coolaid too much on "Free Trade". Sure, the paid propaganda folks are going nuts right now, but the only ones that have ever made money off the Global Scale Trade has been the biggest Multi-national corporations, Financial Institutions and Government Officials (via legal & illegal corruption). 

Related, the Trump Administration will be leaving NAFTA in either March or April. Depends how stupid Canada plays things. (Which has been really, really stupid.) Our wonderful Canadians friends would do really well to get someone that isn't a wet noodle to run their government. (But the man has very good hair, so that's something.)

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You might want to find better sources for understanding of Global Economics. Or you've drank the coolaid too much on "Free Trade". Sure, the paid propaganda folks are going nuts right now, but the only ones that have ever made money off the Global Scale Trade has been the biggest Multi-national corporations, Financial Institutions and Government Officials (via legal & illegal corruption). 

Related, the Trump Administration will be leaving NAFTA in either March or April. Depends how stupid Canada plays things. (Which has been really, really stupid.) Our wonderful Canadians friends would do really well to get someone that isn't a wet noodle to run their government. (But the man has very good hair, so that's something.)

I'm sorry but that is demonstrably false, plainly visible in the trades of musical instruments, jewellery, computer technology, beer/wine/spirits, and agriculture. That Joe Owner sold his small shop to a conglomerate which then profited more as it had the brand recognition is independent entirely.

Now "Free Trade" hasn't exactly been free and on a level field, but that doesn't change the fact the world economy is global, and nothing governments even want to do about it will be able to stop that.