What is with the HUGE influx of Black Ops 1 players on 360/One?

Kawaii Koneko

I'm not a big COD guy but for some reason since the year the original BO has come out, I have been in love with it. I regularly still play it even today.  So I have been playing it for over seven years. Well, one thing that saddens me is that the player base on the 360/One has dwindled to the point that I can no longer run with all the DLC maps installed when playing games like domination. TDM I can still get into games most of the time but if I want to easily get into a game, I need to unplug my hard drive with all the DLC installed.

Anyway, the last year or so, the max I ever see the online player count is just under 15k players. Usually it is around 5k or so. Enough to get into games but not enough to really get matched easily with DLC players.

However, for about a week now, the player count has been around around 70k. The first time I saw it was around 50k, I thought the system was malfunctioning but I was able to get into domination matches with all the DLC installed much easier, leading me to believe the player influx is real. Tonight it says there are just a hair under 90k players!

15 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Stores probably offloaded a metric ton of Xbox at dirt cheap price over the holidays. Maybe had the game bundled or it was cheap to buy. High player count trails through the start of the year as young plebians rope in their new school friends for online multiplayer. And no I don't own an xbox neither do I play CoD.

Gamestop had it for the 4 used games $10 over the holidays I believe.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:30 AM, huilun02 said:

Stores probably offloaded a metric ton of Xbox at dirt cheap price over the holidays. Maybe had the game bundled or it was cheap to buy. High player count trails through the start of the year as young plebians rope in their new school friends for online multiplayer. And no I don't own an xbox neither do I play CoD.

Well, it is possible. BO1 is backwards compatible on the One so between it and the 360, there are a ton of consoles to play on. I know I often see the game pretty cheap with the first DLC pack at Wal-Mart and the like and there is a cheap bundle pack with all three games on the 360.  So maybe it was a go to COD game for new console players but this seems like quite a large bump.

I didn't hear about any giant sales that would have moved 360/Ones this year but maybe I just didn't notice. The thing is, I have been playing this game since it came out and I never really notice a large bump in the playerbase during the holidays. There is usually just a temporary boost the day of Christmas (my guess is family playing together when they get together and people with the day off) but it is NOTHING like this and never lasts this long.

I just find it odd.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:59 PM, Froody129 said:

Is the multiplayer cross platform?

Not really. It's backwards compatible on the One so 360 and One (there is no One specific version) players can play together but you won't be matched up with PC players or anything like that.

27 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

The 12 year olds are invading...

If they are, they seem to be staying off the mic. I really only hear older teens and adults anymore.

And tonight there are now 109k players. Doesn't this seem odd for a seven year old COD game?