Zic05

Should I get 2nd GTX 1070 or wait for Volta/VEGA

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone, I somewhat want to get into crypto currency mining. But I also game a lot, and SLI is not very well optimized for games so I could turn it off for games. Or what I’ll most likely do is wait for the next Gen GPUs from AMD or Nvdia and use that. What’s your opinion.

Thanks

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

"Our Framerates Be High And Our Temperatures Be Low." WEEEEEE

My sisters piano teacher asks her what minor keys are she replies "aren't they the sad ones"

SYSTEM

• CPU: i7-6700k (Arctic Silver 5)
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 with two Corsair ML120s (dual pack)
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H
  • RAM: 16GB 3000mhz G-Skill RGB RAM + Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000MHZ RAM (I got the corsair from a friend for $100)
  • GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 8OG
  • Case: Corsair Air 540
  • Storage Samsung 960 evo 500GB and the Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
  • PSU Seasonic Prime 80 Plus titanium 650 Watt PSU
  • Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU Bmiprz 27in G-SYNC 1440x2560 at 150hz and a old Acer monitor
  • Keyboard: HyperX Alloy FPS
  • Mouse: Logitech G-Pro
  • Headset: HyperX Cloud Stingers

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

those are coming out in a LONG time from now. Being as they pretty much just put out the 1070ti. Id say just get 1 1070 ti no point of getting 2 1070's that perform just as good as a 1080ti for more than a 1080ti

Current build.

I7-4930K     ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 MOBO     32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RAM    3TB HARD DRIVE

MSI LIGHTNING GTX 1080 TI    4 OPTICAL DRIVES      CORSAIR H100i V2      750 WATT CORSAIR PSU 

There is talk of Volta not being for gamers(last I checked). You could get another 1070 and use that to mine while you game without needing a secondary machine.

Desktop - Officially named Caroline, nicknamed Ice Flame(work in progress name and build)

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 -Motherboard: ASRock AB350-Pro4 -Memory: G.Skill NT 8Gb DDR4-2133(1x8Gb) -GPU: GeForce GTX 780

-Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200RPM HDD -PSU: Corsair CX550M -Case: NZXT S340 White -Keyboard: CM Storm Devastator -Mouse: CM Storm Devastator

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P755

CPU: Intel Core i5-2430M -Memory: 8Gb DDR3(2x4Gb) -GPU: GeForce GT 540M -Storage: 750Gb SATA HDD -Display: 1366x768 15.6" 60Hz

Raspberry Pi 3 model B running RetroPie

Monitors: Dell SE2717HR, Dell 17", laptop display

finally figured out how to do signatures pls be proud of me c:

Wait for next gen nvidia in like 3-8 months

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

What are some downsides of SLI, I’ve heard some games don’t support it, increses input lag and doesn’t double VRAM. But for mining does it utilize both cards VRAM. Also does anybody know when the next Gen gaming GPUs from AMD or Nvidia are coming out, I read about it but all the articles are old.

Thanks

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

My sisters piano teacher asks her what minor keys are she replies "aren't they the sad ones"

SYSTEM

• RAM: 16GB 3000mhz G-Skill RGB RAM + Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000MHZ RAM (I got the corsair from a friend for $100)
  • Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU Bmiprz 27in G-SYNC 1440x2560 at 150hz and a old Acer monitor

PCPartPicker URL

6 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

What are some downsides of SLI, I’ve heard some games don’t support it, increses input lag and doesn’t double VRAM. But for mining does it utilize both cards VRAM. Also does anybody know when the next Gen gaming GPUs from AMD or Nvidia are coming out, I read about it but all the articles are old.

Thanks

coming back from sli to a 1080 ti, ill just say sli simply "doesn't work" by my standards, so just wait for next gen, GPUs usually come out around september.

If the games you play use it and your system can utilize it, then get one. If you can get one fairly priced. I’m not to concerned about the next gen cards. Prolly end up like it did with the 9xx and the 10xx, I get them and don’t use them. 

Mining can use anything that’s supported. Just got my third 1080 and even mine with the cpu. 

If you feel you can wait then go for it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Gskillz Ares Ram 32Gb's, GTX 1080 SLI, OCZ  ZX Series 1000, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 3770k, Asus Sabertooth Z77, Pny ram 16Gb's, EVGA Titan Black SC SLI, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235HZ x3 5760x1080@120hz

I think I’ll wait.

SYSTEM

PCPartPicker URL

29 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

I think I’ll wait.

forgot to mention, if you really wanted to upgrade u could sell the 1070, then buy a 1080 ti, pretty much same price, better optimized performance.

41 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

Thanks

The way SLI works(and Crossfire for that matter) is it combines video cards into a single rendering unit. Any content that's in the main card's vRAM will automatically exist in the secondary card's vRAM as they're working together on the same task - it makes sense to do that because they'll be working with the same assets. Support can definitely vary with different video games, and even the level of utilization can vary. Even if the game supports SLI, the second card may only get 20% usage at most, and because proper support depends on the developer, you may encounter frame time variances that lead to stuttering.

If an application is able to support SLI, it will function as "normal" SLI. With mining workloads, I do not believe SLI would be supported - it honestly doesn't make any sense to combine the cards into one virtual unit, as if you leave them separate, they'll be able to work on two different tasks simultaneously utilizing their own vRAM. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

23 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If an application is able to support SLI, it will function as "normal" SLI. With mining workloads, I do not believe SLI would be supported - it honestly doesn't make any sense to combine the cards into one virtual unit, as if you leave them separate, they'll be able to work on two different tasks simultaneously utilizing their own vRAM. 

So would that mean I could put in a (for example) a GTX 1060 and not SLI them could I have one cable from my monitor to the GTX 1070 and another the GTX 1060 would it split the load.

Thanks

SYSTEM

PCPartPicker URL

1 hour ago, Zic05 said:

So would that mean I could put in a (for example) a GTX 1060 and not SLI them could I have one cable from my monitor to the GTX 1070 and another the GTX 1060 would it split the load.

Thanks

What do you mean? Game on the 1070, while mining on the 1060? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

37 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What do you mean? Game on the 1070, while mining on the 1060? 

No

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

as if you leave them separate, they'll be able to work on two different tasks simultaneously utilizing their own vRAM. 

No, here you say I don't have to use SLI, so could I have 2 GPUs in my system not in SLI but still working together to render whatever rendering on a screen.

SYSTEM

PCPartPicker URL