A computer programmer from Ohio was indicted for spying Mac users for 13 years

29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Default admin privileges isn't a thing now. You have to turn down UAC settings, meaning you have to be intentionally stupid now days on Windows :P. Granted a lot of people turn UAC down to min/off resulting them right back at the issue of why it was implemented in the first place, which is the intentionally stupid part as mentioned.

I don't think his point was that people disable UAC. I think his point was that a malware developer is far more likely to trick a Windows user into clicking "Yes" on the UAC prompt, than to get a GNU/Linux user to run a program as root.

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Default admin privileges isn't a thing now. You have to turn down UAC settings, meaning you have to be intentionally stupid now days on Windows :P. Granted a lot of people turn UAC down to min/off resulting them right back at the issue of why it was implemented in the first place, which is the intentionally stupid part as mentioned.

Many users just want to use their PC's without obstructions, and UAC is a big offender in that regard in their eyes. So instead of understanding why its popping up they just turn it off. Plus before vista many programs required admin access so many got used to it that programs ask for it. The problem with the wast majority is that they just dont want to spend energy on learning anything else than the bare minimum and windows only, even if you give them similar looking linux with an almost identical layout they start a tantrum like a little kid that they need windows not this junk... -_-

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think his point was that people disable UAC. I think his point was that a malware developer is far more likely to trick a Windows user into clicking "Yes" on the UAC prompt, than to get a GNU/Linux user to run a program as root.

Well a dumb ass on Windows is still a dumb ass on Linux, Windows just has more dumb asses lol. But really I think one of the biggest benefits is the package repositories that is fundamental across all Linux distributions, downloading random shit from the internet and executing it is just wayyyy less of a thing.

But I see lots and lots of people sudo everything or even su to root, rather common and done for the same reason "just make it work and I don't care how".