Logitech Trackman Marble - Personal Notes

Aereto_Compuru

This mouse refers to the Trackman Marble, an ambidextrous trackball, not its non-ambidextrous M570.

As have used this mouse for well over 8 years (1st lasted 7-8 years, 2nd only had over 1 year), I may as well pass down what I know about this mouse.

Characteristics

Spoiler

A Trackball mouse that came out in a market greatly outnumbered by optical mice at its time, this mouse has a dead-center trackball with more than 180 degree exposure in 4 directions. The ball can be rolled effectively with the index and middle fingers for continuous motion, or an index finger or ring-middle-index depending on the situation. The ball itself is held aloft by 3 plastic points where dirt and oils accumulate, and red by a rectangular sensor area that is the likely area to clean if the dirt accumulates to the point of blockage if increasing roll resistance is not clear enough indication.

The only physical downside is the lack of physical mouse scroll function, which certain games or programs would heavily rely on for convenience.

When it comes to trackballs, they can be a godsend for either having fingers do the pointer work than the wrist-arm movement that is subject to risk of RSI or carpal tunnel problems, or in cases where desk space is restrictive that mini mice would fit or very restrictive where a laptop and a mouse pretty much fills up a school desk. As this mouse is true ambidextrous due to symmetrical design, a left-hand configuration is all that is needed to adapt.

Has 2 very large buttons for left-right click, and two small buttons that has back-forward page function for file explorer and web browsers if not configured by Logitech's driver or using only plug-and-play. (all 4 buttons can be mapped to any action if games have their key mapping function covering them)

They were more expensive in the past, definitely more with my 1st mouse purchase than my 2nd. They are priced more or less around $25 depending on the vendor at the time of this post.

Build Quality

Spoiler

Essentially rugged, the marble ball can be easily removed and show the carriage that definitely reveals how long it has been used between cleaning. Both of mice have suffered mice button issues, mostly at the main left button as a right-handed user. The second mouse had intermittent problems with click-drag operations where the held click is lost for a fraction of a second, or a click results in a microsecond rapid double click instead. The left mouse suffers total failure of the left click, and is slated for repair or salvage since warranty is long gone since its end.

The more recent models that my 2nd mouse is from has a noticeable drop in mouse button switch durability, as far as the service length is concerned.

Repair/Disassemly

Spoiler

It has 5 screws: 4 exposed, one deep inside and hidden by the info sticker that has a faint cross cut for screwdriver penetration. Removal results in clean separation of the bottom and upper shell, showing that the mouse buttons are held by plastic hinges at center. Mouse buttons have a small plastic sticking out intended to press down the pin plunger of the mouse microswitches. 3 PCBs, 2 of which carry 2 microswitches for buttons per side. Microswitches are soldered; experience in electronics (de)soldering is necessary for replacing the switches. PCBs are conencted by ribbon wire. Main PCB is where the sensor and the USB wire is linked to, and holds the controller chip. 1st mouse may be repaired by replacing the left button switch, but needs switches, preferably of same amp, voltage, and voltage type for safest compatibility option.

Notes:

Spoiler

The 1st mouse has been my main mouse since middle school, connected to desktops and laptops alike in highschool, stayed at the laptop's side in college, and finally suffered left button failure while used as a mouse for the Raspberry Pi. I have played RTS, RPGs, and Simulators with this mouse, while I have more accuracy than speed when used in FPS.

The 2nd mouse started and ended as the mouse for the newly built desktop from last year. Subjected to a lot of games and programs, especially Mount and Blade: Warband.

With optical/laser mice as market majority, not every one can adapt to a trackball quickly due to difference in control. Personally, finger-control is better than thumb-control due to the index and middle fingers feeling like their motions are similar to playing a piano. And my grandfather solely uses an ambidextrous trackball of a different manufacturer and model because he has no control of his fingers, using his palm to control the ball.

I can use optical/laser mice just fine when using school/public library computers or someone else's computer, but trackballs are a great deal merciful to the wrist while giving the forearm muscles the works, using 3 fingers and thumb to use this mouse.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

PS: Perhaps consider adding a few photos? Should be of your actual device though, not just a product image.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

You know what missing? picture also

On 12/1/2018 at 12:33 PM, Aereto_Compuru said:

while I have more accuracy than speed when used in FPS.

What?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore