Do you think I should do this?

I've got quite a few old parts from my last build.

I'm thinking about sniping some parts on auction and building one to sell.

I've got a case: 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/cTQypg/corsair-case-200r

power supply:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/fzmLrH/rosewill-power-supply-hive550s

motherboard:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/gxDwrH/msi-motherboard-z97pcmate

CPU cooler:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Vwdqqs/corsair-cpu-cooler-h60cw9060007ww

A fan controller:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/tWW9TW/nzxt-fan-controller-senmix2

A USB expansion card:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kWrcCJ/inateck-superspeed-4-ports-pci-e-to-usb-30-expansion-card-interface-usb-30-4-port-express-card-desktop-with-15-pin-sata-power-connector-include-with-a-4pin-to-2x15pin-cable-a-15pin-to-2x-15pin-sata-y-cable

a wireless / bluetooth card:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di

and lots of fans

So, I'd need to find a CPU, a graphics card, some ram, and SSD and a hard drive for secondary storage.

If I do this, I want to make a VR minimum specs computer to sell

so an i5 4590 and gtx 960 as a minimum.

Do you think this is worth it as a Canadian?

It's really hard to get good deals up here with all of the import fees on ebay and all of that. I'm also not in a big city where I can go around finding used stuff.

Should I just sell the parts individually instead?

If I do a build, what do you think i could get for what I listed?

What do you guys think?

would this perform better than your current computer and/or do you need another build?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

a 960 is not enough to met minimum requirements for VR, I believe the 970 (and by extension, 10603gb and RX570) are the minimmums

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

a 960 is not enough to met minimum requirements for VR, I believe the 970 (and by extension, 10603gb and RX570) are the minimmums

Actually, it was lowered to a gtx 960 since Oculus came out with ASW mode. I'll probably still try to find something slightly higher though.

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

would this perform better than your current computer and/or do you need another build?

No, I'm talking about building this one to sell.

Would I make more building one and selling it or selling the parts individually?

I don't have boxes for all of the individual parts but I have a box to put a whole computer in from my new case so I'm learning towards building one. Plus, it's more fun.

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

No, I'm talking about building this one to sell.

Would I make more building one and selling it or selling the parts individually?

if you can get the I5 cheap and pick up a 680 instead of the 960 id do it, the 680 draws more power, but performs about on par with a 1050TI and i tend to find them here in Sweden for about €30

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

if you can get the I5 cheap and pick up a 680 instead of the 960 id do it, the 680 draws more power, but performs about on par with a 1050TI and i tend to find them here in Sweden for about €30

I'll actually spend a couple of months looking for one to snipe at just over 100 Canadian if I can. I want to help someone get into VR at the same time if I can :) I'm damn good at sniping on ebay. I got an Asus Maximus VII hero for 123 USD the other day for example.

I think if I could find an SSD out of an old computer for free and if my old version of windows 10 pro still works, it'd be worth it but if i have to buy windows.. I'd probably make more selling them individually.

I can't imagine I'd get much more than 1000 CAN for the build I'm talking about VR support or not.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I'll actually spend a couple of months looking for one to snipe at just over 100 Canadian if I can. I want to help someone get into VR at the same time if I can :) I'm damn good at sniping on ebay. I got an Asus Maximus VII hero for 123 USD the other day for example.

nice, thats not a bad of a deal if thats a 4GB 960

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

nice, thats not a bad of a deal if thats a 4GB 960

Yea, I might even be able to find one cheaper.

There are always people selling things who don't know what they're worth or auctions that are set too low where every bidder is smart and doesn't bid right away.

It just takes patience and waiting to hit that bid button till the last possible minute.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, I might even be able to find one cheaper.

There are always people selling things who don't know what they're worth or auctions that are set too low where every bidder is smart and doesn't bid right away.

It just takes patience and waiting to hit that bid button till the last possible minute.

im currently low balling a watercooled Titan :ph34r: not because i need a card that performs like my 970 or want the watercooling, i just want to have it for my collection xD

Builds:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im currently low balling a watercooled Titan :ph34r: not because i need a card that performs like my 970 or want the watercooling, i just want to have it for my collection xD

Pointlessly wasting money on computer parts you don't need?

I respect that :P

15 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Pointlessly wasting money on computer parts you don't need?

I respect that :P

well it seems like its a bit screwed but i bet if i took the watercooling off i could fix it, not that i really care if it works anyway i just want a Titan basically

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well it seems like its a bit screwed but i bet if i took the watercooling off i could fix it, not that i really care if it works anyway i just want a Titan basically

Trophy card.

15 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Trophy card.

yep, entirely

Builds:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I've got quite a few old parts from my last build.

I'm thinking about sniping some parts on auction and building one to sell.

I've got a case: 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/cTQypg/corsair-case-200r

power supply:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/fzmLrH/rosewill-power-supply-hive550s

motherboard:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/gxDwrH/msi-motherboard-z97pcmate

CPU cooler:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Vwdqqs/corsair-cpu-cooler-h60cw9060007ww

A fan controller:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/tWW9TW/nzxt-fan-controller-senmix2

A USB expansion card:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kWrcCJ/inateck-superspeed-4-ports-pci-e-to-usb-30-expansion-card-interface-usb-30-4-port-express-card-desktop-with-15-pin-sata-power-connector-include-with-a-4pin-to-2x15pin-cable-a-15pin-to-2x-15pin-sata-y-cable

a wireless / bluetooth card:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di

and lots of fans

So, I'd need to find a CPU, a graphics card, some ram, and SSD and a hard drive for secondary storage.

If I do this, I want to make a VR minimum specs computer to sell

so an i5 4590 and gtx 960 as a minimum.

Do you think this is worth it as a Canadian?

It's really hard to get good deals up here with all of the import fees on ebay and all of that. I'm also not in a big city where I can go around finding used stuff.

Should I just sell the parts individually instead?

If I do a build, what do you think i could get for what I listed?

What do you guys think?

Get a 970 as minimum for VR. A 960 will be absurdly choppy,  I have one myself, and it did not work out well with a VR headset that I borrowed. Upgraded to a 1080 and now its great.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

1 hour ago, jtmoseley said:

Get a 970 as minimum for VR. A 960 will be absurdly choppy,  I have one myself, and it did not work out well with a VR headset that I borrowed. Upgraded to a 1080 and now its great.

Yea, I'm thinking about doing that because it's not much more expensive and I can snipe one for even cheaper if I'm patient. 

I already have a system with a 1080 though.

I wish I would have held out for the 1080ti now :P

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, I'm thinking about doing that because it's not much more expensive and I can snipe one for even cheaper if I'm patient. 

Yeah I mean I kind of wish I saved up but at the same time, none of my games are pushing the 1080. So I am fine with my choice, at least for now.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Also, why did you already choose a motherboard? And let alone, a motherboard with only DDR3 support...? I would hold off on the motherboard, set a budget, and see what the best thing you can get is. Because for DDR3 correct me if I am wrong but you'd be looking at like 4th gen cpu's... Not a bad idea as far as performance I guess, but I think DDR4 with a 7th gen or 8th gen OR ryzen would be a better choice. The ryzen 1600 is a good chip to look at.

50 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

Also, why did you already choose a motherboard? And let alone, a motherboard with only DDR3 support...? I would hold off on the motherboard, set a budget, and see what the best thing you can get is. Because for DDR3 correct me if I am wrong but you'd be looking at like 4th gen cpu's... Not a bad idea as far as performance I guess, but I think DDR4 with a 7th gen or 8th gen OR ryzen would be a better choice. The ryzen 1600 is a good chip to look at.

oh, just because this existing system has a cruddy motherboard as it is and I found that maximus VII hero for like 1/4 of the price so I couldn't pass it up. 

It's also an excuse to completely take apart and rebuild it :P

It will also mean a much better resale value when I sell it.

I'm pretty much making money by buying that board.

I also have a CPU in it that can hit 4.7 ghz on that crappy motherboard so I really don't need to upgrade everything too much. I got a lucky chip. I might even be able to OC it to 4.8 after this upgrade.  The downside is only having 16 PCIe lanes, but I'm not doing SLI so it's fine.

I'll be upgrading to a whole new system in a year or two. That was just to hold me over. I was getting damn sick of all of the different issues with that MSI board. It works, but not without headaches.

and I actually have been able to max out the usage on the 1080. Try maxing out your settings in a game like The Gallery: episode 2 or Xing. There are games out there that even a 1080 can't handle max settings with in VR.

You can however get close by using ASW so you can still use those settings without frame drops even if you have negative performance headroom with the GPU.

I posted a guide on it here in the Displays section actually.