Is GTX 1080 sufficient for 1080p 144fps and 4k 30fps

So after lots of hours wasted in searching the internet, I still couldn't get a defenitive answer for my gaming needs.

I'm building a new pc and the config is the following:

• I5-8600k
  • GPU - NOT DECIDED
  • Trident Z RGB - 8GB*2 3200mhz
  • Seagate Baracudda - 3tb
  • Samsung 850 evo - 250gb
  • Cooler master masterbox lite 5 rgb
  • Motherboard - Asus Z370E or Z370F or Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming
  • Corsair Rm650x PSU
  • Noctua U12-S or H115i pro

So mainly my concern is the gpu. Is GTX 1080 enough for 1080p 144fps and 4k 30fps. For 1080p 144fps I am buying the samsung c24fg70 VA 1080p 144hz 1ms monitor and for the 4k, I'm using my LG Nanocell SJ80 TV, which is one of the best tv for gaming.

As for the games I play in 1080p, mostly I would play Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, Rocket League, NFS series, DIRT series, PUBG and sometimes other AAA titles like Deus Ex series, DOOM (2016), Sniper Elite Series and other games like that. I would mostly prefer ultra but I won't mind to reduce the settings to high and sacfrice some anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing.

And for 4k whatever works is enough so no concern about it. So is the GTX 1080 enough for this???

AND as you might have seen in the list, which motherboard is the best? I want to pick a board between these options only, please.

And for the RAM is there any noticeable difference between 3000mhz and 3200mhz.

The 1080 should be enough for your needs. 

In terms of RAM, you're not going to notice a difference between those speeds on an 8600k.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

4 minutes ago, Stormerzgeek Deraj said:

snip

As others have mentioned, due to your CPU choice you're not going to be getting 144Hz.

You need a good enough CPU accompanying a good enough GPU. You should get a 8700K instead of a 8600K. As for 4K30? The 1080 is more of a 1080p and 1440p card.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

As others have mentioned, due to your CPU choice you're not going to be getting 144Hz.

You need a good enough CPU accompanying a good enough GPU. You should get a 8700K instead of a 8600K. As for 4K30? The 1080 is more of a 1080p and 1440p card.

Adding hyperthreading won't make it happen either. Games are just not designed for high refresh-rates, outside of e-sports games. They target to draw as many CPU cycles/drawcalls in of the current console API's at 30fps to make it look pretty on consoles. PC API's are even higher overhead and current CPU's are not that much faster (per core) to accomodate for the massive increase in compute required to make such games run from 30 to 144fps. Either invest into adaptive refreshrates or just go for 60-75hz. Another issue is that even if the 8700K manages to barely hit 144fps in titles, It will be the limiting factor and as a result the frametime consistency is poor. You really want to be GPU bound, not CPU bound.

I've been running a 144hz panel for the past year and I've sold it. It's a gimmick to be honest, and only really worth it for e-sports titles. But i'm too old for that shit.

A 1080 is obviously enough for what you want and even more, you can play just about any thing at 4k60fps all it takes is your effort to find good balance on your in game settings.

I usually advice the locked i7 8700 because at 4.3ghz all cores you already can sustain very high refresh rate at 1080p while your 0.1% and 1% lows remains safe thanks to HT headroom.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Adding hyperthreading won't make it happen either. Games are just not designed for high refresh-rates, outside of e-sports games.

Umm no? Many modern (2016 or newer) games utilize 4 or more threads.

They target to draw as many CPU cycles/drawcalls in of the current console API's at 30fps to make it look pretty on consoles. PC API's are even higher overhead and current CPU's are not that much faster (per core) to accomodate for the massive increase in compute required to make such games run from 30 to 144fps. 

Xbox One (and all of its variants) and PS4 (and all of its variants) are based off substantially worse hardware than modern desktop CPUs above a Pentium.

Buying even a lowly i3-8100 would provide superior CPU performance than a Xbox One X. Most games for PC feature unlocked frame rates by default with an option to enable VSync.

An i7-8700K is a great CPU for 144Hz. It's arguably the best CPU for high refresh rate ever made.

Another issue is that even if the 8700K manages to barely hit 144fps in titles

[Citation Needed]

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Umm no? Many modern (2016 or newer) games utilize 4 or more threads.

Xbox One (and all of its variants) and PS4 (and all of its variants) are based off substantially worse hardware than modern desktop CPUs above a Pentium.

Buying even a lowly i3-8100 would provide superior CPU performance than a Xbox One X. Most games for PC feature unlocked frame rates by default with an option to enable VSync.

An i7-8700K is a great CPU for 144Hz. It's arguably the best CPU for high refresh rate ever made.

[Citation Needed]

So? That doesn't mean the API's won't still be heavily mainthread focussed/limited.

Yes but they run on custom API's that offer more drawcall throughput than PC hardware. You can't really compare PC hardware and console hardware 1:1 because of this.

But it won't get you anywhere near 144fps. My 4670K at 4ghz is probably on par and i've never seen a game hold 144fps except for really simple indie games. 

Not saying it was a bad CPU, just saying no AAA game will run 144fps locked on it. Canned benchmarks you see on hardware unboxed are poor representations. He uses some really unintensive scenes to test the hardware. Like the tank bit in BF1, and the built-in benchmarks for Tomb Raider and Deus Ex. If you test them in-game, like Prague in Deus-Ex or Geothermal Valley in Tomb Raider, even that 8700K won't hold 144fps. Variable refresh with the system tuned to be GPU-bound (turn up settings or tune the GPU), or suffer tearing and stutter. Even with your precious 8700K.

Check my signature.

Ok I forgot to say but I mostly don't need 144fps in AAA titles and 60-80 is enough. But would I get 144 fps plus in all esports titles. And what about the choice for motherboard.

So for this 8600k is enough??

Just now, Majestic said:

Yes, but 60-80fps on a static refreshrate monitor is still going to look poor. 

So what do you suggest.

42 minutes ago, Majestic said:

So? That doesn't mean the API's won't still be heavily mainthread focussed/limited.

Vulkan and DX12 are heavily multi-threaded focused. Games which use DX9, DX10 or DX11 or OpenGL will just continue to be single threaded for the most part.

Yes but they run on custom API's that offer more drawcall throughput than PC hardware. You can't really compare PC hardware and console hardware 1:1 because of this.

Not necessarily.

Xbox One uses either Direct X 11.3 or Direct X 12 depending on the game developer's implementation.

Playstation uses something similar to OpenGL unless I'm mistaken.

But it won't get you anywhere near 144fps. My 4670K at 4ghz is probably on par and i've never seen a game hold 144fps except for really simple indie games. 

That's cos a 4670K isn't capable enough to deliver 144Hz on modern demanding titles. I'd recommend watching benchmark videos showing 144Hz results.

18 minutes ago, Stormerzgeek Deraj said:

So what do you suggest.

Like I said, variable refresh (so AMD GPU + Freesync, or Nvidia + G-sync) or just aim for locked 60-75 and just unlock the framerate in esports titles.

The alternative is that you have to change the system refreshrate every time you play one or the other. This might work if you have a monitor with presets you can just switch but tbh it's too much of a hassle for me, don't know about you. That monitor has the presets, i've owned it, but I got rid of it yesterday due to the fact 144hz is just not worth the hassle. Even games like terraria struggle to maintain 144hz and frequently stutter as a result. Having to constantly change frequencies to match the maximum the engine can take is frustrating to say the least. That said, that specific monitor also has a min. freesync frequency of 70hz. Pretty high tbh.

I also believe that this whole high refresh craze has created an influx of topics reporting stutter. As people are now going over 60fps they start hitting CPU constraints whereby the CPU can't produce enough drawcalls and simply stalls the engine for a frame or two. 

AluTech's comments, though I criticize them, ofcourse hold some merit. If you're not investing heavily into high refresh (8700K, overclocking it to shit and probably changing it in a year) you might aswell better be suited settling for a stable lower framerate. i5's never were meant to target high refresh.

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That's cos a 4670K isn't capable enough to deliver 144Hz on modern demanding titles. I'd recommend watching benchmark videos showing 144Hz results.

I'm aware lol, but the 8700K isn't either. At all times, in all scenario's. Plenty, sure. But what about those moments when it's not? What about a year from now? Two years? Change the CPU already because it starts dipping to 100fps?

It's a gimmick dude. Period. It's only worth it for e-sports titles that are tuned to hit high refreshrates due to the lack of complexity in the renderengines. Low Poly, simple textures, small maps/draw distances, simple geometry. Not games like AssCreed Origins, Andromeda, Mankind divided which strive the opposite. High populations, high poly/geometry counts and high-res textures. You will inevitably hit points in the game where even the 8700K can't maintain 144fps.

And the fact they're based on DX11 doesn't mean you can compare them to DX11 on PC...

1 hour ago, Stormerzgeek Deraj said:

And for the RAM is there any noticeable difference between 3000mhz and 3200mhz.

No. Performance gains become less and less the higher up you go from 2133. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on faster RAM.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Adding hyperthreading won't make it happen either.

You forget that this is LTT forums. Everyone here seems to take the AMD line of MOAR THREADS = MOAR POWAHH, Even though they're still relatively unimportant for gaming.

Just now, Apepa said:

No. Performance gains become less and less the higher up you go from 2133. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on faster RAM.

You forget that this is LTT forums. Everyone here seems to take the AMD line of MOAR THREADS = MOAR POWAHH, Even though they're still relatively unimportant for gaming.

Tell that to Watch Dogs 2 or any other demanding game.

HT/SMT would have probably results in 30% or more FPS gain.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

8700k-legacy-wd2-benchmark.png

Yet it still won't be anywhere near a locked 144fps :)

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yerp. That's why everyone games on 8-Core AMD FX chips and server CPUs. xDxD

Hardcore.

1 minute ago, Apepa said:

Yerp. That's why everyone games on 8-Core AMD FX chips and server CPUs. xDxD

Hardcore.

FX CPUs share ALUs and the modules design was terrible.

SMT/HT on Well Designed CPU Cores (E.g. Zen or Skylake) works well and provides great benefits. SMT on badly designed CPUs does not translate to great performance.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

FX CPUs share ALUs and the modules design was terrible.

SMT/HT on Well Designed CPU Cores (E.g. Zen or Skylake) works well and provides great benefits. SMT on badly designed CPUs does not translate to great performance.

Never said it didn't. It just isn't going to provide the same benefit or V4M to gamers as people on these forums like to make out it will. It's not a coincidence that the 12 thread 8700 tops performance charts when it leads the market in IPC and clock speeds.

Multi-threading in consumer hardware was something that Intel and AMD were forced to develop and promote because of physical design limitations, not because that's where software was heading. That's why gains in software have been and will continue to be slow and painful.