The 2018 GPU Apocalypse

DavePlays

I am not going to complain at all, the prices spike allowed me to sell my 1080 Ti originally bought for 600$ (second hand) for 1100$ so I afforded the extra 100$ and bought myself a TITAN Xp for the lulz.

Gotta try having some fun out of it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

14 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

The miners use their computers to check transactions so that one person does not hack the system and give themselves tons of bitcoin or something. As a result, you get rewarded with the cryptocurrency

Are they physically doing that? To my knowledge, people leave their computer on during the day and night, and they get a fixed amount of money. The person is not doing anything that would be categorized as "work."

Just now, CyberFern0 said:

Are they physically doing that? To my knowledge, people leave their computer on during the day and night, and they get a fixed amount of money. The person is not doing anything that would be categorized as "work."

I guess it's more of an investment.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Here's what I had to say about this problem. AMD and NVIDIA not doing anything about this alienates consumers. I'm OK with inflation due to limited supply, but when it gets to the point where there is literally no availability, something has to be done.

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

@billstelling

And with free shippingxD

snip.thumb.PNG.d48f6652228f37a1c3a33a4a4883ee3f.PNG

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

I have a question. Who even decides the value of crypto currencies? Who is the one that decides this coin is worth 50328560921836 million billion trillion quadrillion $ ???????

Just now, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

I have a question. Who even decides the value of crypto currencies? Who is the one that decides this coin is worth 50328560921836 million billion trillion quadrillion $ ???????

That is an excellent question for not me.

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

i think the one i want which is the 1050 ti is safe! I Think! lol 

2 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

It doesn't make sense to me, but hey, I'm damn happy. I let 6 6gb 1060's and will let about a dozen 1050ti's go for well over what I paid for them.. after each has mined more than enough to have paid for themselves in the first place. 

Crypto is falling hard though. It's wild. There being over 1,400 different cryptocurrencies out there makes it pretty hard to follow, even proportionally. Then with only maybe (at the very most, IMO) 25 or so out there that are actually realistically useful; It's looking a lot like the .com bubble, but then there is still money to be made, so.

Why GPU prices are reaching this level of stupid I would have to say it's mining. Seeing the skyrocket in values means there is potential. Then, with the major, current corrections it's the best time to mine, assuming it is actually a correction. Pascal has to end sometime soon too. I would have to guess that has at least a tiny something to with pricing too, but mostly people mining and investing in hardware.

Still though this is where we are right now:

snip.thumb.PNG.684a91477621833a936b0987b638f464.PNG

snip.PNG.1f078fabb926c165a938c5dd8ab81095.PNG

Even with Bitcoin(for example) falling about 8.5k in a month, it's still way up there. Ethereum has fallen about 30% globally in 2 days. Yet, Ethereum for the year is still up ~24%. The corrections are hard. Very exciting times for the causal observer like myself. 

snip.PNG.813950de6a7f53ec1940f05c71407a4d.PNG

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

31 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

At one point, someone set the value low, then others just bought it for fun, and then it started gaining publicity, and here we are

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What they should do is increase supply.  If they are getting all these customers, they should make more.  They will make more money because although these prices are higher they will be getting less sales.

16 hours ago, Nonprofitbark88 said:

Does anyone know when the graphics cards will be restocked, specifically the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB? Or any other graphics card for that matter?

I have one of those I'll sell you for $19,995 :-)

6 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

What they should do is increase supply.  If they are getting all these customers, they should make more.  They will make more money because although these prices are higher they will be getting less sales.

Increasing supply meant more costs and the same profit or less. They are not stupid.

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

Increasing supply meant more costs and the same profit or less. They are not stupid.

I personally believe that the days of artificially imposed prices and MSRP are over, the demand in the market shall dictate what a video card is worth.

bad news for gamers but a PC as we know was never meant to be just a gaming platform, we have consoles for that.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

35 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I personally believe that the days of artificially imposed prices and MSRP are over, the demand in the market shall dictate what a video card is worth.

bad news for gamers but a PC as we know was never meant to be just a gaming platform, we have consoles for that.

there are mechanisms in a market to correct that. If prices of gpus and ram continue escalating it's a good motivation for someone to enter the market. Granted it's not easy, but i read the Chinese want a piece of the pie, at least of the RAM market. 

It's more difficult for GPU's, but if it smells like tons of money the motivation is there.

If prices were lower they would probably not care. so cause and effect i guess

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkang/2016/08/06/how-chinas-new-2-8-billion-chip-maker-will-affect-the-global-semiconductor-industry/#525a2e191b0c

11 minutes ago, asus killer said:

there are mechanisms in a market to correct that. If prices of gpus and ram continue escalating it's a good motivation for someone to enter the market. Granted it's not easy, but i read the Chinese want a piece of the pie, at least of the RAM market. 

It's more difficult for GPU's, but if it smells like tons of money the motivation is there.

If prices were lower they would probably not care. so cause and effect i guess

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkang/2016/08/06/how-chinas-new-2-8-billion-chip-maker-will-affect-the-global-semiconductor-industry/#525a2e191b0c

The thing is, Micron and SK Hynix aren't exactly scaling up their DDR4 production either, while more and more devices and systems need that stuff. The entire market is basically fucked because of sheer greed.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

11 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The thing is, Micron and SK Hynix aren't exactly scaling up their DDR4 production either, while more and more devices and systems need that stuff. The entire market is basically fucked because of sheer greed.

why do you think companies love consolidation? if there were a lot of companies competing the probability that one lower the prices and increased production would be great. Like this their CEO's probably know each other, frequent the same conferences and shit and agree that it's better to sell a piece of RAM at 90 USD than to sell two pieces at 35 USD.  Less labor, less electricity, less materials, more profit.

I think that the problem is that there are only 4 (i think it's four!) companies producing this for the all world. Then a factory burns and we are doomed.

I keep reading they needed more plants to produce more. Couldn't they just increase the number of shifts for example? work around the clock?

18 hours ago, CyberFern0 said:

You aren't contributing to your community. Contributing to the community is how you "earn" money.

morality isn't the same as reality. 

13 hours ago, Chuck Comet said:

I have one of those I'll sell you for $19,995 :-)

I think that just tad bit out my budget.

1 hour ago, SACBALLZ said:

morality isn't the same as reality. 

meaning?\

Who would waste their time giving free money...and that isn't even poor or homeless people.

I don't see how anyone would be stupid enough to do that.