Mac os High sierra and sierra

Can I install Mac os high sierra on a external hard drive?? So I could switch between sierra and high sierra. Or can I  install a new drive in my Mac pro and install high sierra and switch between high sierra and sierra drives by changing drives? Thank you :):D;)

13 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Can I install Mac os high sierra on a external hard drive?? So I could switch between sierra and high sierra. Or can I  install a new drive in my Mac pro and install high sierra and switch between high sierra and sierra drives by changing drives? Thank you :):D;)

The former is possible, however I'd go for the latter. To switch, either switch from system preferences > startup disk, or by holding Option on bootup.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Okay, so, it is possible to switch back and forth between sierra and high sierra, but by which method??, and where I can find guide to do this?? And what is the process if I want to do this with older OS (sierra-snow leopard, sierra-os x el capitan,etc)???

Thanks

3 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Okay, so, it is possible to switch back and forth between sierra and high sierra, but by which method??, and where I can find guide to do this?? And what is the process if I want to do this with older OS (sierra-snow leopard, sierra-os x el capitan,etc)???

Thanks

The process is the same with any supported macOS/OS X version. Add a drive, install to that drive and choose your preferred boot menu from either the Option menu on bootup or through system preferences.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

14 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The process is the same with any supported macOS/OS X version. Add a drive, install to that drive and choose your preferred boot menu from either the Option menu on bootup or through system preferences.

Can I use an external drive??

6 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Can I use an external drive??

Yes. If your Mac doesn't have native USB3 however, it'll be slow as molasses.

9 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Even if it does, the boot time will be much longer. It will not be the ideal situation ever from the external drive. You will notice that is much slower.

Just now, lieder1987 said:

Even if it does, the boot time will be much longer. It will not be the ideal situation ever from the external drive. You will notice that is much slower.

macOS is borderline unusable on any non-SSD since El Capitan came out anyway.

13 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

macOS is borderline unusable on any non-SSD since El Capitan came out anyway.

24 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

That means I have to use a fast SSD. Like Samsung t3/t5, nvme/pcie ssd in external encloser, sata SSD in external encloser.

Now, how do I install high sierra on an external drive(without erasing my sierra) so I could duel Boot (or switch back and forth between high sierra and Mac OS sierra) 

5 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

That means I have to use a fast SSD. Like Samsung t3/t5, nvme/pcie ssd in external encloser, sata SSD in external encloser.

Just buy an internal drive tbh. You're bottlenecked by a 480Mbps USB interface (unless you have a trashcan mac pro), which tops out in practice around 40MB/s throughput and poor IOPS. NVMe drives won't be bootable.

1 minute ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Now, how do I install high sierra on an external drive(without erasing my sierra) so I could duel Boot (or switch back and forth between high sierra and Mac OS sierra) 

Download High Sierra, then create a bootable USB, boot from that and install to the drive you want.

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Just buy an internal drive tbh. You're bottlenecked by a 480Mbps USB interface (unless you have a trashcan mac pro), which tops out in practice around 40MB/s throughput and poor IOPS. NVMe drives won't be bootable.

Can I use thunderbolt 2 and USB type C external encloser for m.2 drive (like Samsung 960 pro/evo ) (as switching between internal drive is a tedious process)

OR

Any dedicated Thunderbolt 2 external drive. 

Can I use thunderbolt 2 and USB type C external encloser for m.2 drive (like Samsung 960 pro/evo ) (as switching between internal drive is a tedious process)

OR

Any dedicated Thunderbolt 2 external drive. 

So you have a trashcan Mac Pro?  I thought we made enough arguments for you not to sink a few grand into one :P 

I'm pretty sure it won't boot from NVMe drives, even if they are external. Ivy Bridge-EP predates that technology, so no 960 Pro or Evo. Might as well just use a regular SATA SSD with a USB3 enclosure as the trash can does have USB3. TB2 enclosures can be pretty expensive and don't offer that much more performance.

17 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

So you have a trashcan Mac Pro?  I thought we made enough arguments for you not to sink a few grand into one :P 

Oh come on, Mac pro isn't a bad machine specially if you are getting one in as low as $1800 for a NEW base model Mac pro. Yes,yes I know I can get a better deal or I could wait for 2018 Mac pro, but I got one of these because of its repairable nature,etc. And I don't have enough space on my desk as I just build a gaming PC with gtx 1080ti. I just want a good Mac. I don't like Macbook pro because as I said earlier it is more like "disposable" and less "repairable and upgradable, I mean what the crap a Macbook pro is?? I can't upgrade ram,storage,which is like most replacing component in a computer. Yeah iMac is good and even out perform my Mac pro but think about my desk space and $1800 price point for workstation grade hardware. (Also who knows apple make their 2018 mac pro super expensive, which is kinda possible) Mac pro is even has some portability.(just need a screen and power. LOL) 

ok

And one more thing, I didn't purchased Mac pro yet , I just secure a Mac pro by paying $100 to my local retailer (he is my best friend) I told him that I am confused about what to buy, so  he suggested me to reserve one. And if I decided to go with the iMac then he will add those $100 to my iMac. Great deal isn't?? $1800 for a new base model Mac pro?? 

Though I can get a iMac with upgradable ram hatch, but I didn't because I am foolish. LOL JK. Or maybe a 2015 Macbook pro or 2017 Macbook pro (but I don't like one! I don't know I am still confused!!!!??????!!!!!! :( 

3 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

And one more thing, I didn't purchased Mac pro yet , I just secure a Mac pro by paying $100 to my local retailer (he is my best friend) I told him that I am confused about what to buy, so  he suggested me to reserve one. And if I decided to go with the iMac then he will add those $100 to my iMac. Great deal isn't?? $1800 for a new base model Mac pro?? 

Is it the later reconfigured base model with the 6-core or is it the pretty painful quad core model? I'd honestly not jump on anything less than the 6-core unless you're gonna upgrade the CPU yourself.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Is it the later reconfigured base model with the 6-core or is it the pretty painful quad core model? I'd honestly not jump on anything less than the 6-core unless you're gonna upgrade the CPU yourself.

I will upgrade the CPU later. 

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

It is a quad core Xeon and amd d500. 

So, are you sure that I can't install nvme ??

5 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

I will upgrade the CPU later. 

In that case, grab some cheap DDR3 ECC reg DIMMs and have at it ;)

It's too old for NVMe. You could hack X79 boards to handle them for data, but not for booting.

Just now, NelizMastr said:

In that case, grab some cheap DDR3 ECC reg DIMMs and have at it ;)

Okay

Okay

Might as well go all in, right? 8-core or 10-core CPU, 64GB DDR3 ECC haha