What is NB Frequency?

Just built my first PC, all went well but noticed the NB Freq was about 4100 and wondered what that was? It's showing up under the ram section of CPUZ

The RAM I'm running is 16GB of 3000MHz Trident RGB which I've manually set the Dram freq to 3000 in the BIOS otherwise it was running around 2100. 

I'm using an i7 8700k, if that helps at all.

i9 9900k | RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC | 32GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz DDR4 | Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

Taken from a previous post I made (it answered another question, so references that as well)

It's the frequency of the North Bridge on your motherboard/CPU and isn't really determined directly by your RAM (though it can be/is a part of it). It can be hard to calculate, but essentially it is the NorthBridge Multiplier * Front Side Bus = NB Freq. Similar to how CPU clock speed is determined by a multiplier and FSB. That's my understanding of it, anyway. For the most part, it's not something you need to worry about. 

From here BTW:

It's hard to actually calculate, as it's effected by multiple other frequencies and multipliers. It's generally not something the user changes or needs to really know about, as the system should manage it by itself. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Taken from a previous post I made (it answered another question, so references that as well)

It's the frequency of the North Bridge on your motherboard and isn't really determined directly by your RAM (though it can be/is a part of it). It can be hard to calculate, but essentially it is the NorthBridge Multiplier * Front Side Bus = NB Freq. Similar to how CPU clock speed is determined by a multiplier and FSB. That's my understanding of it, anyway. For the most part, it's not something you need to worry about. 

From here BTW:

Should I be worried that it's running at 4000? It's jumping between 3500 and 4000. 

Edit: Just saw you said not something I should worry about so that's good, thanks for the information! 

i9 9900k | RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC | 32GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz DDR4 | Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

Just now, Azakius said:

Should I be worried that it's running at 4000? It's jumping between 3500 and 4000. 

No. It's not something you should be concerned about. It's something that may change as you adjust other settings, but the system will work it out on its own.

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2018 at 10:03 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

No. It's not something you should be concerned about. It's something that may change as you adjust other settings, but the system will work it out on its own.

i know it was old thread but my problem is basically this

image.png.e153d83e51c5dae465faf31c7742f744.pngis this something i should be worreid about?? my nb frequency is super low compared to others and my other pc's

its the speed your CPU is reading your RAM at, which is normally double of what the RAM is running at because of dual channel memory

12 minutes ago, XHT_001 said:

its the speed your CPU is reading your RAM at, which is normally double of what the RAM is running at because of dual channel memory

look at my post - so is mine broken?

26 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

look at my post - so is mine broken?

I would'nt know, I don't do intel, the speed will be link to the turbo of the CPU, and the northbrige will also increase if needed, you can watch what is happen with https://www.hwinfo.com/

Just now, XHT_001 said:

I would'nt know, I don't do intel, the speed will be link to the turbo of the CPU, and the northbrige will also increase if needed, you can watch what is happen with https://www.hwinfo.com/

its not intel its ryzen 3600

b450 f asus mobo

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

its not intel its ryzen 3600

b450 f asus mobo

if the same thing, but ryzen's don't have a northbridge, just a direct connection, and has a bus speed instead of front side bus which passes through a north bridge

1 minute ago, XHT_001 said:

if the same thing, but ryzen's don't have a northbridge, just a direct connection, and has a bus speed instead of front side bus which passes through a north bridge

so is it still normally double for dual channel? or is it ok how it is in my photo??

@mariushm Has a good answer in another thread:

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

so is it still normally double for dual channel? or is it ok how it is in my photo??

use harware info, ryzen's don't have a FSB

32 minutes ago, XHT_001 said:

use harware info, ryzen's don't have a FSB

Where’s hardware info?