Need to choose a portable media player.

David1521

I just got my Shure 846's and they sound great but not as perfect as the reviews indicated, and definitely not better than my Audeze iSINE 20 but I knew that going in since they're smaller, and noise isolating. Which is what I wanted and they do quite well.

I do Not want to use an attachment dac and amp because I currently use the oppo HA-2 along with an iphone 6 but it's very inconvenient to carry around both and recharge both all the time and deal with apple constantly asking me to reverify my apple id. I have a note 8 as well, but apparently with any android smartphone with usb type c using a specifically advertised usb c to micro usb for dac otg cable it will work, but it will also drain my phone's battery and charge the dac/amp at the same time which is annoying and I googled it and there's no fix yet. And I don't feel like waiting around for something likely to never be fixed because there is such a small demand because I'm in such a small demographic of specific kind of audiophiles, ie I travel a lot.

So I'm looking at portable music players, that would best fit both the shure 846's and the audeze iSINE20, also preferably the oppo pm-3s.

I have found 2 so far that I like, I'd like to keep the price under $1500, I want something that works specifically with downloaded songs on both Tidal and Spotify that sounds the best.

Astell&Kern AK240 @1279 on amazon and the Onkyo DP-X1A at 488.97 on amazon.

What I really want to know is whether or not astell&kern players in that price range are mere snake oil or are actually noticably better.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200