which type of case fan to buy

Octik

looking to add more airflow in my case so i'm going to buy two fans for top not sure if i should make them exhaust or intake also which would be better for cooling and airflow, two 140mm or two 200mm case fans? also will adding these help cpu temps?

Linus actually did a video (linked here) regarding case fans and placements. They found out that the best temps per dollar were gained when you had one case fan at the front for intake and one for the rear. I personally use 2 fans in the front (one intake blowing air to cpu, and the other is for my hybrid gpu) and I have a fan in the rear for exhaust. You can add fans to the top of your case but don't expect huge temp drops on the cpu and gpu. It'll only be 1-3C lower maybe. 

For top fans, I do believe the ideal orientation would be exhaust should you add them. But as stated above, adding top fans doesn't to much for temps. It does something, but maybe not as much as we would like. 

Size: The idea is that a 200mm fan can get more air through while spinning slower than a 140mm fan will while the 140mm is spinning faster. So if your case support 200mm, you can add them. A 200mm will also be quieter since it can push more air yet it does not need to spin as fast as a 140mm/ 120mm would have to push the same amount of air through.

Brand: In my limited tests, I didn't really find one brand to be better than another. I used the fractal case fans GP 120mm, the cryorig XF140 for cpu, and the evga fan for the gpu. I ran some numbers and then swapped them with beQuiet fans. I can tell you the system ran quieter, and temps were all fine. Under load, the cpu/ gpu are 2-3 degrees warmer with beQuiet fans, but that's only because the beQuiet fans ramp up to 1000rpm max. The xf140 go much higher. But for the huge noise drop vs the minimal temp gains, I'm fine with it.

What are your specs, temps, and what fans are you planning to use?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs, temps, and what fans are you planning to use?

i7  7800x gtx 1070 16gb 2400 mhz ram asus tuf mark 2 x299 motherboard

cpu temps get a bit hot under load thats why i was planning on adding more case fans, typically temps in heavy load are around 80-87c 92 at most my cooler is coolermaster master air maker 8.  And the fans i was planning to use are the noctua nf-a20 200mm

5 minutes ago, Octik said:

i7  7800x gtx 1070 16gb 2400 mhz ram asus tuf mark 2 x299 motherboard

cpu temps get a bit hot under load thats why i was planning on adding more case fans, typically temps in heavy load are around 80-87c 92 at most my cooler is coolermaster master air maker 8.  And the fans i was planning to use are the noctua nf-a20 200mm

What case do you have and how's your cooling currently laid out?

Are you running the cpu at stock speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case do you have and how's your cooling currently laid out?

Are you running the cpu at stock speeds?

I have the coolermaster h500p with 2 front intake and 1 exhaust in back, and yes I plan on running at stock speeds.

Hmm, again you can try and add some top fans, not too sure how beneficial it will be. 

Edit. I'm blind and apparently can't read. 

1 hour ago, Octik said:

I have the coolermaster h500p with 2 front intake and 1 exhaust in back, and yes I plan on running at stock speeds.

Your temps are high for stock speeds. Check your motherboard settings to make sure that Multicore Enhancement is turned off. It's usually on by default and is an auto oc which might be why your temps are so high. 

If that doesn't help. Try reapplying and read tightening your cooler. Sometimes not enough/ too much thermal paste and a bad seal can cause high temps due to poor heat transfer. 

Alright I will do that later today and see if it helps the temps, thank you guys :)

On 1/9/2018 at 12:59 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Your temps are high for stock speeds. Check your motherboard settings to make sure that Multicore Enhancement is turned off. It's usually on by default and is an auto oc which might be why your temps are so high. 

turning off the setting did help a bit but sometimes at random occasions temps spike up to 85c then back down to normal then spike back its super random but max temps ive seen in bf1 is 81c.

1 minute ago, Octik said:

turning off the setting did help a bit but sometimes at random occasions temps spike up to 85c then back down to normal then spike back its super random but max temps ive seen in bf1 is 81c.

Temp spikes are normal if your cpu usage also spikes. If your temps spike during a consistent synthetic load, your cooler might not be evenly mounted and reseating the cooler could help.