Getting Charter Business at Home

Ryois
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

1. No, you have to use their modem

2. Probably, you'll have to put in your address and check but yes you can get it to a residential address

3. No, it's 300/20 unless you pay for fiber which will be much more

So I want better than a crappy 100/5 with my Spectrum residential internet. In our area this is the fastest speeds sadly. So I checked Spectrum Business's  website and saw that it could go up to 300Mbps! The thing I am wondering about are:

• Can I use my existing stuff?
  • Can I even get itt?
  • And is this 300/300? or like 300/ some lower upload

Thanks!

Just now, NinJake said:

Anything is possible with enough money...

theyre around the same price for Internet only

FYI:
BUSINESS PRICES:

FOR 100Mbps C9C2BpK.png

FOR 200Mbps m8qG0pF.png

FOR 300Mbps XnpNrjB.png

HOME PRICES:

FOR 100Mbps OU8tXrz.png

2. Probably, you'll have to put in your address and check but yes you can get it to a residential address

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

1. Ok

2. It asked for my address but I am not affiliated with an business so will they still install/give it to me?

3. Ok :/

Just now, Ryois said:

1. Ok

2. It asked for my address but I am not affiliated with an business so will they still install/give it to me?

3. Ok :/

I'm 99% sure they will still install business class. They don't care where it goes or who it goes to, just that they get paid :)

If Spectrum keeps the same style modem solution as TWC Business Class did then it's pretty good actually and doesn't have any wifi bs, just a solid modem, no router or anything so you're free to use all of that stuff.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

I'm 99% sure they will still install business class. They don't care where it goes or who it goes to, just that they get paid :)

If Spectrum keeps the same style modem solution as TWC Business Class did then it's pretty good actually and doesn't have any wifi bs, just a solid modem, no router or anything so you're free to use all of that stuff.

Ok. Good!

2 minutes ago, Ryois said:

Ok. Good!

You wouldn't happen to be in any of the markets where they just rolled out gigabit by chance, or near perhaps?

There wasn't a lot of news about it but they did roll out to several markets.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

You wouldn't happen to be in any of the markets where they just rolled out gigabit by chance, or near perhaps?

Nope sadly.

Also I don't know how it is in the US but in the netherlands for business grade stuff they normally show the prices without taxes. so if you use them as a consumer you will need to take taxes into account too.

Just now, Ryois said:

Nope sadly.

Ah, I know they also bumped up their 100Mbps tier to 200Mbps and the 300Mbps tier to 400Mbps and those are supposed to hit all of the markets, at least according to this article:

https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/charter-reportedly-set-to-announce-next-big-wave-1-gig-docsis-3-1-rollout

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Levisallanon said:

Also I don't know how it is in the US but in the netherlands for business grade stuff they normally show the prices without taxes. so if you use them as a consumer you will need to take taxes into account too.

I know it doesnt include tax on either.

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ah, I know they also bumped up their 100Mbps tier to 200Mbps and the 300Mbps tier to 400Mbps and those are supposed to hit all of the markets, at least according to this article:

https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/charter-reportedly-set-to-announce-next-big-wave-1-gig-docsis-3-1-rollout

I only live close to NC sooo.... East TN

Just now, Ryois said:

I only live close to NC sooo.... East TN

Ah, you could try chatting with them online and say you heard 400Mbps is supposed to roll out and ask if they can give you an idea of when. It might be cheaper/better to wait for that since I'm not sure if that's consumer and business class getting the bump or just consumer.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Ryois said:

So I want better than a crappy 100/5 with my Spectrum residential internet. In our area this is the fastest speeds sadly. So I checked Spectrum Business's  website and saw that it could go up to 300Mbps! The thing I am wondering about are:

• Can I use my existing stuff?
  • Can I even get itt?
  • And is this 300/300? or like 300/ some lower upload

Thanks!

If its any thing like Comcast business class, then its the same network as the residential service. Uploads just as low. As far as equipment, if you rent it from Charter then you will get new equipment. Im not sure on how they treat customer owned stuff. I know Comcast will install business service in a residence. Just its more expensive and the TV packages are shit. 

Most in likely its the same service, but different division of the company. Much like how Comcast handles the business class stuff, but Xfinity does their residential stuff. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If its any thing like Comcast business class, then its the same network as the residential service. Uploads just as low. As far as equipment, if you rent it from Charter then you will get new equipment. Im not sure on how they treat customer owned stuff. I know Comcast will install business service in a residence. Just its more expensive and the TV packages are shit. 

Most in likely its the same service, but different division of the company. Much like how Comcast handles the business class stuff, but Xfinity does their residential stuff. 

Ok. On the equipment is it just a modem? I am planning on getting an Edgerouter X.

Just now, Ryois said:

Ok. On the equipment is it just a modem? I am planning on getting an Edgerouter X.

I dont have Charter myself, But I would guess its a modem/router combo. Thats what Comcast was supplying. You would need to contact Charter business if you want a customer owned modem, or just find out if they can put the Modem/Router in bridge mode, then you Edge router would work awesome. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I dont have Charter myself, But I would guess its a modem/router combo. Thats what Comcast was supplying. You would need to contact Charter business if you want a customer owned modem, or just find out if they can put the Modem/Router in bridge mode, then you Edge router would work awesome. 

On Charter they give you a modem for free. The router and WiFi solution is: $5/mo for both home and business.

2 minutes ago, Ryois said:

On Charter they give you a modem for free. The router and WiFi solution is: $5/mo for both home and business.

Like I said. Im a Comcast sub. Comcast gives you a gateway and makes you pay $11 a month for it. Which is why I own my own modem. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Like I said. Im a Comcast sub. Comcast gives you a gateway and makes you pay $11 a month for it. Which is why I own my own modem. 

What speeds do you get with whatever plan you have?

1 hour ago, Ryois said:

What speeds do you get with whatever plan you have?

We got residential service 100/10 is what we sub to. I think for Residential Service 150/10 or 20 is the max in my area. I doubt the business plans are much more. But Id like to state our service is provisioned 20% over what we pay for meaning I get speeds greater than 100 Mbps download and some where in the 12 to 15 Mbps range on upload most of the time. 

Max upload speed on Comcast is like 35 or 40 Mbps on the Gigabit plan. Thats how it is on most Cable Providers who have Gigabit Docsis 3.1 service. Any thing more is going to be one fiber. Which Comcast will run out to your house. As long as your with in 1/3 mile of a fiber fed node. Pay up to $1000 for install and equipment and pay somewhere around $199 a month. And its 2Gbps service. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

We got residential service 100/10 is what we sub to. I think for Residential Service 150/10 or 20 is the max in my area. I doubt the business plans are much more. But Id like to state our service is provisioned 20% over what we pay for meaning I get speeds greater than 100 Mbps download and some where in the 12 to 15 Mbps range on upload most of the time. 

Max upload speed on Comcast is like 35 or 40 Mbps on the Gigabit plan. Thats how it is on most Cable Providers who have Gigabit Docsis 3.1 service. Any thing more is going to be one fiber. Which Comcast will run out to your house. As long as your with in 1/3 mile of a fiber fed node. Pay up to $1000 for install and equipment and pay somewhere around $199 a month. And its 2Gbps service. 

We get around 112/7 more than the 100/5. I want DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit badly! Or Fiber :)