Which PS4 would you guys recommend?

Cyberspirit

Hey so, I'm very much not a console guy but, I fell in love with the Yakuza games so, here I am.

Which PS4 would make the most sense in you guys' opinion?

Also, is there a way to buy games online or do you have to buy physical copies?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

I would get the stock PS4 if you're just getting into it so you're not losing too much if you somehow decide you want to emulate PS4 on your PC(you definitely have the system resources to do it) and not actually use the console version.

To my knowledge you can buy digital copies of games, but most people would recommend physical copies

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

if you somehow decide you want to emulate PS4 on your PC(you definitely have the system resources to do it) and not actually use the console version.

Tell me more :o

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

That's all I know unfortunately. I've only barely looked into emulating PS3 but you could certainly find stuff online.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's all I know unfortunately. I've only barely looked into emulating PS3 but you could certainly find stuff online.

Thanks, I'll look into it then.

I don't really like consoles because the only selling point for me would be some of the exclusives. 

Other than that, I wouldn't really want or need one.

9 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I don't really like consoles because the only selling point for me would be some of the exclusives. 

If you only want a console,because of the exclusives,then buy the original ps4 (not the slim or pro version) because thats actually cheaper than the others,and its perfect for some exclusive titles,and I would even go further and buy a sued ps4 so its even cheaper,but this is only my thinking

12 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Miért írtam angolul amikor magyar vagy

24 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

None of the Yakuza games are playable on the RPCS3 emulator for PS3. There are some very good games that are playable, such as Demon's Souls, Catherine, Persona 5, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Okami, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World (this one can only be played on RPCS3 or a CFW PS3), and a few others I'm leaving out. It's nowhere close to being as good as say Cemu is for Wii-U though. RPCS3 has been making huge strides in 2017, but it's not there yet. Also Persona 5 runs 15-25 fps I heard, and that game is worth paying for to get it at full speed.

3 minutes ago, Just_A_Cheese said:

If you only want a console,because of the exclusives,then buy the original ps4 (not the slim or pro version) because thats actually cheaper than the others,and its perfect for some exclusive titles,and I would even go further and buy a sued ps4 so its even cheaper,but this is only my thinking

I'd buy the Slim before the original PS4. They're the same price (new) and the Slim is on a 14nm node vs the OG on a 28 nm node, so the Slim uses much less power and thus will probably last him longer.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

None of the Yakuza games are playable on the RPCS3 emulator for PS3. There are some very good games that are playable, such as Demon's Souls, Catherine, Persona 5, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Okami, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World (this one can only be played on RPCS3 or a CFW PS3), and a few others I'm leaving out. It's nowhere close to being as good as say Cemu is for Wii-U though. RPCS3 has been making huge strides in 2017, but it's not there yet. Also Persona 5 runs 15-25 fps I heard, and that game is worth paying for to get it at full speed.

Ah well, that's a shame. :( 

Is there any way to install a bigger HDD or even perhaps an SSD in a PS4?

Not sure if 500Gb is enough.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'd buy the Slim before the original PS4. They're the same price (new) and the Slim is on a 14nm node vs the OG on a 28 nm node, so the Slim uses much less power and thus will probably last him longer.

If its the same price,then of course go for the better one,thats obious

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

You can,actually. You have to download the ps firmwire on the new hdd/ssd and you can put a bigger 2tb hdd or a 500gb ssd,and long as its 2,5"

I don't know how prices are in Hungary. In the US right now it's a tough call between the Slim and the Pro, since the Pro has a much better gpu and is only $100 more ($400) than the Slim ($300) right now. Back when the Slim was $200 around Thanksgiving the Slim was the obvious choice here unless you have a 4k TV. I'd probably still default to the Slim since you only want to play exclusives and those run great on the Slim (so far at least). I can't imagine one of Sony's studios will make an exclusive that runs like ass on the Slim/OG PS4 (they both perform the same) since that's what most have.

Despite being kind of crap hardware, the PS4 is highly worth buying for the exclusives, especially if you like Japanese games. It has two Yakuzas (0 and Kiwami), Persona 5 is incredible, Bloodborne is my game of the decade (easily my favorite Souls game), The Last of Us is an awesome stealth game with perhaps the greatest story ever told in gaming, Horizon Zero Dawn is like a Far Cry game but better than any of them, I mean there is some great stuff on PS4 you can't get elsewhere. The Uncharted games are pretty fun too. If you like the modern Tomb Raider games you should also like Uncharted.

21 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I think all the new PS4 being sold are 1TB now. I have a 500 GB myself and while the HD is full I don't mind deleting shit to make room when I install new games. I guess it could be a pain if you plan to mostly buy digital games and/or if your internet has a data cap. I buy about 60/40 physical vs digital and 500 GB is enough for me. Every time I'm tempted to buy a 2 TB drive I think I'd rather spend that money on three games instead. Though I would like to move that 500 GB drive into my PS3 I guess, since most of my PS3 games are digital and I have to do a lot of juggling with its 160 GB drive.

54 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would get the stock PS4 if you're just getting into it so you're not losing too much if you somehow decide you want to emulate PS4 on your PC(you definitely have the system resources to do it) and not actually use the console version.

To my knowledge you can buy digital copies of games, but most people would recommend physical copies

Shit I read this wrong. There is no PS4 emulator. I read it as you talking about the PS3 emulator RPCS3.

Well, the only games I care about so far are the Yakuza ones and Zero Dawn because those look great.

As for price differences, the slim with 1TB storage is 337,21 USD or 87.000HUF and the Pro with 1TB storage is 406,98USD or 105.000HUF.

So it probably would make more sense to buy a used Pro but, I'm honestly not into used products so idk.

43 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Well, the only games I care about so far are the Yakuza ones and Zero Dawn because those look great.

As for price differences, the slim with 1TB storage is 337,21 USD or 87.000HUF and the Pro with 1TB storage is 406,98USD or 105.000HUF.

So it probably would make more sense to buy a used Pro but, I'm honestly not into used products so idk.

I don't think Yakuza 0 makes much use of the PS4 Pro since it came out in 2016 in Japan. I'm not sure on Yakuza Kiwami (PS4 remaster of Yakuza 1). It sounds like there might be a Yakuza 2 remake, though nothing 100% AFAIK. Yakuza 6 is also coming out this year for PS4 (you'll need a PS3 for Yakuza 3-5 though).

Horizon Zero Dawn has better texture filtering on the Pro vs Slim, and I think it's rendered at 1800p also so you effectively get SSAA with the Pro on a 1080p screen. That's amazing the Slim is so expensive relative to the Pro when the Pro has a gpu about 2.4x as strong (think RX 470 for the Pro vs somewhere between HD 7850 and HD 7870 for the Slim).

I personally had bad luck on the original launch PS4. The original HDD failed, so I replaced it with a 1TB hybrid. Then the optical drive started having issues.

Haven't encountered any hardware issues with the PS4 Pro, though I think the sandwich design is ugly as hell. I don't have personal experience with it, but the Slim should be better built as well. I'm glad the capacitive touch buttons are gone.

Games tend to seem have two or three graphics modes nowadays, something like prefer graphics, performance, or some balance between the two. With a better GPU, you get better results with the Pro if the game supports yet. Support for the Pro is pretty bad IMHO. There is a "boost mode" that applies to all games, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal. So I don't know if the Pro is worth the extra cost.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't think Yakuza 0 makes much use of the PS4 Pro since it came out in 2016 in Japan. I'm not sure on Yakuza Kiwami (PS4 remaster of Yakuza 1). It sounds like there might be a Yakuza 2 remake, though nothing 100% AFAIK. Yakuza 6 is also coming out this year for PS4 (you'll need a PS3 for Yakuza 3-5 though).

Horizon Zero Dawn has better texture filtering on the Pro vs Slim, and I think it's rendered at 1800p also so you effectively get SSAA with the Pro on a 1080p screen. That's amazing the Slim is so expensive relative to the Pro when the Pro has a GPU about 2.4x as strong (think RX 470 for the Pro vs somewhere between HD 7850 and HD 7870 for the Slim).

So, I'd have to buy the PS3 and the PS4 just to play all the Yakuza games? That sucks...

In that case, I might just wait for HTC's announcements and get a VR headset if a Vive 2 comes out because I'm not spending that much money on the consoles + the games.

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

So, I'd have to buy the PS3 and the PS4 just to play all the Yakuza games? That sucks...

In that case, I might just wait for HTC's announcements and get a VR headset if a Vive 2 comes out because I'm not spending that much money on the consoles + the games.

You can't find PS3 cheap? My PS3 I bought last year was $40.

12 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You can't find PS3 cheap? My PS3 I bought last year was $40.

The only one I can find in Hungary is 259,69 USD or 67.000 HUF.

America has a lot of hardware but, here we are quite limited and usually overpriced.

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

The only one I can find in Hungary is 259,69 USD or 67.000 HUF.

America has a lot of hardware but, here we are quite limited and usually overpriced.

Just emulate Yakuza 3-5 on RPCS3 in a couple of years then. That emulator has been improving really quickly the last year. There are already rock solid games on it like Okami, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, and Catherine.

On 8.1.2018 at 5:13 PM, Cyberspirit said:

Hey so, I'm very much not a console guy but, I fell in love with the Yakuza games so, here I am.

Which PS4 would make the most sense in you guys' opinion?

Also, is there a way to buy games online or do you have to buy physical copies?

Depends on how much you want to use the game

If once a week for an hour or two -> PS4 

If once a day for an hour or two -> PS4 PRO

Because the PS4 Pro can make some games run a bit better and also make them look better.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"