OnePlus 3 Review from a Windows Phone user - What a f*cking shame

AlTech

Disclaimer: This post contains swearing You have been warned.

I wanted to move over to Android from Windows 10 Mobile and while I am enjoying it. I'm also f*cking pissed off but not because of the Android Experience.

You see, the OnePlus 3 is ludicrously fast compared to the Lumia 650 and is just a really capable device.

The camera isn't the best in the world but it takes good enough looking shots. Whilst writing this review, I realized that a lot of the images I have are compromising/give away exactly where I live so you'll just have to trust me on this.

Low light shots aren't anything special and get the job done. This definitely isn't your professional InstaMeme phone.

Spoiler

IMG_20171216_171555.thumb.jpg.3400d2360d7641c54c217bccd41fa1a2.jpg

Dash Charging is legendary. It is so amazingly good and fast. Even compared to Quick Charge 3.0 this charges ridiculously quickly. If for some reason the device isn't fully charged when I wake up, I can plug it in to charge and it'll be fully charged by the time I need to go.

I do like the LED notification light. This is often how I can tell when the device is fully charged (when fully charged it shows a green light).

The screen is pretty awesome. The lack of different color profile options is annoying and at times I feel the display is too saturated.

The hardware mute/silence switch is also awesome.

Overall Build Quality is spectacular. I mean it is a 2016 flagship but it still looks high end and pretty these days although admittedly the newer Sandstone white 5T looks hella sexy.

Which leads nicely onto why I got a 3 in 2017 instead of a 5 or 5T. I got this phone cos I wanted to go over to Android and I had a limited budget to do so. I originally got the device with Oxygen OS 4.5.0 running Android 7.1.1 Nougat . Within a week of having it, I got Oyxgen OS 4.5.1 . And I wouldn't receive an OS Update of any sort for ages until Oxygen OS 5.0 came out. Oxygen OS 5.0 updated the OS to Android 8.0 Oreo which normally would be a good thing but I was silently pissed off.

You see, the problem is OnePlus couldn't give two shits about their customers!

Imagine having to actually deliver a good experience and good support to a customer! How horrifying and painful! /sarcasm

Well sorry OnePlus but your support is a f*cking joke.  You see, as much as I thought the 5T looks sexy, internally I HATE it. It is disgusting. Do you wanna know why?

The OnePlus 5T and OnePlus 5 are the reasons that the OnePlus 3 is not getting future major Android OS Updates.

And if you want further proof, OnePlus rushed the launch of the 5T (with Android 7.1.1) so that they wouldn't have to commit to the Project Treble requirement for Android 8.0 phones. That is f*cking insidious and disgusting. How dare you OnePlus??!! This is outrageous.

Supporting a 2016 flagship with no new major Android updates past 2017 is the shadiest sh*t I've ever seen. Can you guys get your stuff together??!!  I'm probably going to keep this phone until 2019 or 2020. The only way I'll be able to reliably get new awesome Android OS Updates is by eventually moving to Lineage OS. I really didn't want to have to do this but OnePlus is giving me no choice.

All I wanted was Android OS Updates for 3-4 years (Would highly prefer 4) after the device launches. Is that so f*cking difficult? Goddamnit OnePlus.

This is the worst part about this phone and is such a damn shame. And btw if you think I'm being overly dramatic, I'm actually not. I love getting new OS versions and being officially supported. I hate the prospect of not being officially supported.

Maybe Apple has spoiled me when I got my iPad 4 (Supported from IOS 6 to IOS 10.3) but jesus, most Android OEMs don't provide proper OS support except for Google and admittedly even Google could do with some improvement.

If none of this changes on the Android OEMs front by the time I get a new Phone, I'll have no choice but to buy Apple. I really dread that day because as much as I admire some of their products, their Mobile OS is awful imho. It would be torture to use IOS for more than a single day and yet Android OEMs are likely not going to improve substantially.

Google has started to improve by moving from a 2 year device OS Support policy to now a 3 year device OS Support policy for new devices. Hopefully they'll move to a 4 year device OS Support policy in 2018. 

Samsung is rumored to be moving to a 3 year device OS support policy as well. Hopefully more Android OEMs take notice and hopefully Google finds a way to punish those who don't treat their customers right.

Oh and the obligatory "this is a phone" stuff lol. Call quality is ok. LTE connectivity is OK as well. And the front facing camera is also OK.

So yeah. Sorry OnePlus, I can no longer recommend anybody buy your devices. And worse yet, I can no longer recommend any Android Device except Google's due to how terrible OEM Android Support is.

Oh and OnePlus is often late when providing security updates. Even those people at Microsoft provide better security updates and support to Windows 10 Mobile than you guys do to your fork of Android.

Sorry for the rant and swearing but I just wanted to talk about this cos It's been bothering me for ages.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),