Gaming CPU Needed

Marijanusic

Let's say I'm an AMD lover and with that out of the way I'm thinking of getting myself a new gaming rig and I am considering getting these parts 

1. AMD Ryzen 7 1700x processor
  2. Asus B350 motherboard
  3. GFORCE GTX 1060 graphics card
  4. Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Now those are the main things I'm considering if I go with AMD, keep in note all that is subject to change if I get my answers from you guys

I would also need a new monitor a 24 inch one with 1920 x 1080 or a 27 inch one with 2560 x 1440 so let me know which one would suit me best having these said components.

I would, of course, need a power supply and I’m thinking of getting Corsair - RMX 750W 80+ Gold and I would love to know should I get water or air cooled system.

Now what I would like to know is should I stay with AMD or go with Intel since I mostly play MMORPG with a lot of PVP content but once the servers are down or something like that I like to play those mainstream games like Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed, Crysis and so on. But you get the picture I like good looking games of all the genres. So far I have played these games on medium setting on a 19inch monitor with a resolution of 1440 x 900

My budget is around 1250 euro.

Thanks in advance.

Dial back the CPU and get something more powerful than the 1060 like an RX 580 or a Vega/1070.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I'm running almost the same config except my CPU is a 1700 instead of an 1700x, but even the lower clocked 1700 is enough (with the 1060) for running almost all AAA titles at 1080p on very high to ultra settings at 60fps+. But you should really get the 6GB variant of the 1060, because there are some titles that need more than 3GB of VRAM even at 1080p. If the only thing you plan on doing with your PC is gaming than you can save some money buying a cheaper CPU such as the 1600x.

3 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Honestly, Intel CPU's still perform better at games. So if you are just strictly gaming go Intel, if you plan on doing streaming and or video editing too, then a AMD Ryzen 1700X would be a perfect choice.

Not all Intel CPU's perform better at gaming than all Ryzen CPU's. Some Ryzen CPU's will out perform some Intel CPU's. Plus, new Ryzen CPU's are about to be announced that will have even better performance.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Dial back the CPU and get something more powerful than the 1060 like an RX 580 or a Vega/1070.

You can't really fit a GTX1070 with the current crazy gpu prices in europe into that kind of budget.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

13 minutes ago, Marijanusic said:

I would, of course, need a power supply and I’m thinking of getting Corsair - RMX 750W 80+ Gold and I would love to know should I get water or air cooled system.

Now what I would like to know is should I stay with AMD or go with Intel since I mostly play MMORPG with a lot of PVP content but once the servers are down or something like that I like to play those mainstream games like Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed, Crysis and so on. But you get the picture I like good looking games of all the genres. So far I have played these games on medium setting on a 19inch monitor with a resolution of 1440 x 900

Thanks in advance.

A gold rated PSU doesn't necessarily mean it's better than a bronze rated one. It just means that it is rated as being more power efficient. A bronze or silver top tier 650W for example, is usually 'better' than a lower tier 750W, so you can likely save some money on the PSU. As for monitors, you can get a 27"  144Hz, IPS, 1440p Freesync monitor for about $300 (slightly more in the EU). So there is no justification in getting a smaller TN panel. Even if you go with a GTX 1060, it's still a worthwhile investment.

Listen.

AMD VS INTEL DEOSN'T MATTER IN 2018. F L I P  A  C O I N.

ok?

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Until the security bugs affecting Intel and, more specifically, the patches for them that gimp CPUs by as much as 30% are figured out, it's hard for me to recommend Intel.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

Probably get a 1600 with a mid price B350 motherboard to retain overclocking abilities. This will allow you to get a better graphics card, or even get a better monitor. RX570/580s and 1060 6GB and above perform very well at 1080p on higher settings.

18 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Until the security bugs affecting Intel and, more specifically, the patches for them that gimp CPUs by as much as 30% are figured out, it's hard for me to recommend Intel.

So far, there is no change to performance per Hardware Unboxed. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

So far, there is no change to performance per Hardware Unboxed. 

Flaws like that are a huge red flag for me. I'd shy away from Intel for a while, and will for my rigs. I'm not taking anything apart or selling off, but I'm not using Intel until we see what the permanent fix is.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

44 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Flaws like that are a huge red flag for me. I'd shy away from Intel for a while, and will for my rigs. I'm not taking anything apart or selling off, but I'm not using Intel until we see what the permanent fix is.

Silly to steer away from Intel when ALL modern cpu are susceptible. https://www.anandtech.com/show/12214/understanding-meltdown-and-spectre

But the most important takeaway is that the attack has to be a) targeted at a particular installation and b) is a read only attack.

The only real unknown is the performance impact of any fix. Little point in speculating on this since the speculators generally lack detailed knowledge of the vulnerability.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, Marijanusic said:

Let's say I'm an AMD lover and with that out of the way I'm thinking of getting myself a new gaming rig and I am considering getting these parts 

1. AMD Ryzen 7 1700x processor
  2. Asus B350 motherboard
  3. GFORCE GTX 1060 graphics card
  4. Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Now those are the main things I'm considering if I go with AMD, keep in note all that is subject to change if I get my answers from you guys

I would also need a new monitor a 24 inch one with 1920 x 1080 or a 27 inch one with 2560 x 1440 so let me know which one would suit me best having these said components.

Thanks in advance.

New AMD Ryzen cpu are expected this quarter.

I7-8700K and i7-8700 are a better gaming cpu.

A 450W psu offers more than sufficient capacity to run the outlined system efficiently. A 750W 80+ Gold psu could spend a significant amount of time at the low end of, or outside the 80+ efficiency envelope.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Some of you have made me even harder to chose since Intel does perform better at single core(and most of the games use only single core anyway) but choosing Intel is more expensive which would require a better GPU as well to prevent any bottlenecking but considering that even now with my current build I have a weaker CPU then the GPU and it works that might not be that big of a deal and I can always upgrade in the future...

PS and I will take some other power supply some bronze rated so I might get better components

15 hours ago, johnukguy said:

A gold rated PSU doesn't necessarily mean it's better than a bronze rated one. It just means that it is rated as being more power efficient. A bronze or silver top tier 650W for example, is usually 'better' than a lower tier 750W, so you can likely save some money on the PSU. As for monitors, you can get a 27"  144Hz, IPS, 1440p Freesync monitor for about $300 (slightly more in the EU). So there is no justification in getting a smaller TN panel. Even if you go with a GTX 1060, it's still a worthwhile investment.

Which monitor exactly is that, please?

2 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Which monitor exactly is that, please?

The same one that Linus looked at the other day. But get it from Dream-Seller on Ebay, not Amazon and you may well have to wait until there are more in stock as they sell out quickly.