infern027

MSi Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon vs GIGABYTE AORUS Z370 ULTRA GAMING?

MSI.

I'm going to get flak for this but I don't care, Gigabyte are trash and have been since Z270 launched. Something changed at Gigabyte during the transition between Z170 & Z270, the issues started manifesting themselves on the lower end boards at first but in the last 6 to 9 months it seems like buying anything from them is a crapshoot.

Heat issues

power delivery issues

incompatibility issues

Instability issues

UEFI updates that break more than they fix

I wouldn't take a Gigabyte board if it was given to me.

Spoiler

Main Rig:-

I7 6700K @ 4.8Ghz | MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Full Alphacool Custom Water Loop | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | Corsair AX760I | Fractal Define XL R2.0 | Acer XB280HK 4K G Sync | Pioneer BDR-209EBK BDXL | Windows 10 Pro X64/MacOS 10.12.3 Sierra dual boot |

Spoiler

NAS/File Server/DNLA Server:-

I3 6100 | MSI H110 Pro-VD | 8GB Corsair Value 2400Mhz | Sandisk Ultra Plus 120GB SSD | 2 x WD Caviar Red 4TB RAID0 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | FSP 400w PSU | Aerocool Silent Cube White mATX | Windows Server 2012 R2 |

The Aorus Ultra is complete crap, the Carbon isn't

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + ML120 + NF-F12

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710

Logitech G502/G303

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of me. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Posted · Original PosterOP
41 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

MSI.

I'm going to get flak for this but I don't care, Gigabyte are trash and have been since Z270 launched. Something changed at Gigabyte during the transition between Z170 & Z270, the issues started manifesting themselves on the lower end boards at first but in the last 6 to 9 months it seems like buying anything from them is a crapshoot.

Heat issues

power delivery issues

incompatibility issues

Instability issues

UEFI updates that break more than they fix

I wouldn't take a Gigabyte board if it was given to me.

Yup, the aorus sure has some VRM heat issues.

Do you think I will be able to hit 5ghz with my i7 8700K with MSi board?

On 2018. 01. 07. at 11:30 AM, Master Disaster said:

I can back this up. The latest bios version on my gigabyte z270 broke overclocking. The settings don't take effect, no matter what. I tried cold start, capacitor draining, numerous restarts, removing all dimms to "force it to reconfigure itself" I don't even know... Their software utility worked for a while, but now it just locks up the system. I rolled back to the earliest possible version, and I'm hoping overclocking will work with that.
This is a low end board (z270 hd3p), so I'm looking at midrange MSI and Asrock boards now (MSI Krait, pro carbon, m3, m5; Asrock extreme4; ASUS prime A). I just don't know how their VRMs are set up. I bet the 8+4 on the asrock extreme4 is doubled, but I don't know if the 6+4 phases on MSI boards are 6 real + 2 doubled, or 3+2 doubled.
Any suggestions, please?

Back when I had an MSI Godlike Gaming X99 board, there were loads of issues across their entire range of boards with high rates of failures. Mine failed and I got a DOA replacement with the same issue, and their forums were full of people having the same failures and error messages on the post LEDs. I dont know if they've fixed this yet, but I would honestly say neither and to go for either Asus or Asrock.

Linus is my fetish.