2.5 or 2 slot gpu for mini itx case (h200i) which one will be cooler?

shooter2749

so im planning a build in the new h200i and I was wondering if im better to go with a evga 2 slot card so the fans will have more room to breathe or with a asus strix 2.5 slot card which has a thicker cooler but the fans will have less space to move air... 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy13 said:

What Strix card were you thinking about using?, I would say a 2 slot card would be better because there is not a whole lot room there.

cant really answer that yet since im waiting for the 1170/2070 to come out. and for the room if the card is the same lenght as those of this current gen its gonna be fine because im going all air cooled build so no radiator in front. only two 140mm fan will be there

A 2.5 slot card could fit, but it would definitely be chocked for airflow, or it would be taking air from the hot psu. Either way id go with the 2 slot. 

1 minute ago, c00lFD said:

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

Yea, The reason why I ask is if the card is only just a little bit bigger than 2 slot you might be ok, But it its closer to 2 and a half slots, then the card would basically be touching the PSU shroud. I guess the shroud is non removable which is a shame. 

"GPU Clearance: Up to 325mm" is this mesurement the maximum lenght of the gpu with fans in front or without?

22 minutes ago, shooter2749 said:

so im planning a build in the new h200i and I was wondering if im better to go with a evga 2 slot card so the fans will have more room to breathe or with a asus strix 2.5 slot card which has a thicker cooler but the fans will have less space to move air... 

You might as well get a micro ATX case at that point man.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 slot card, 2.5 slot cards tend to choke to death

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You might as well get a micro ATX case at that point man.

not small enough

10 minutes ago, shooter2749 said:

not small enough

but the case you're looking at is pretty big for ITX

A more proper ITX case is something like a Core 500, which is really compact and still supports long GPUs and 240mm AIOs

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

The 11XX or 2000 series is a ways away...and we have NO real information on them.

For all we know, the cooler design for ACX or StriX could change by then...it could be thicc 3-slots if EVGA/ASUS wanted.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

12 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

but the case you're looking at is pretty big for ITX

A more proper ITX case is something like a Core 500, which is really compact and still supports long GPUs and 240mm AIOs

sure the h200i is taller but its not much longer and the core 500 is wider and much less beautifull

2 minutes ago, shooter2749 said:

sure the h200i is taller but its not much longer and the core 500 is wider and much less beautifull

Airflow is beautiful, that thing looks like a hot box, especially with how close any GPU is going to sit to the PSU shroud

Are you just upgrading your GPU and changing your case? What's the total budget there? What tier of GPU were you looking at?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Airflow is beautiful, that thing looks like a hot box, especially with how close any GPU is going to sit to the PSU shroud

Are you just upgrading your GPU and changing your case? What's the total budget there? What tier of GPU were you looking at?

im building a brand new pc since I cant find a mini z97 mobo to keep my 4790k (going for a 8600k or a ryzen+) the budget is around 2000 cad and the gpu will be a 2070 when it come out.  

1 minute ago, shooter2749 said:

im building a brand new pc since I cant find a mini z97 mobo to keep my 4790k (going for a 8600k or a ryzen+) the budget is around 2000 cad and the gpu will be a 2070 when it come out.  

There's probably not much reason to plan anything now then, as Navi might get some news as well

but the i7 8700 is a better buy than the 8600K IMO, Ryzen is still likely the best value overall by then

But in event you could step up your GPU one tier if you save money on the case

and there's likely to be new cases coming out as well

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

There's probably not much reason to plan anything now then, as Navi might get some news as well

but the i7 8700 is a better buy than the 8600K IMO, Ryzen is still likely the best value overall by then

But in event you could step up your GPU one tier if you save money on the case

and there's likely to be new cases coming out as well

there is no need for a 8700 since im only gaming and saving 80$ on a case wont make me able to buy a gpu 300$ more expensive (before the 1080ti launch there was a 300$ difference beetween the 1070 and the 1080 in canada) and yeah new cases will probably be released 

11 minutes ago, shooter2749 said:

there is no need for a 8700 since im only gaming and saving 80$ on a case wont make me able to buy a gpu 300$ more expensive (before the 1080ti launch there was a 300$ difference beetween the 1070 and the 1080 in canada) and yeah new cases will probably be released 

the total cost for an 8700 vs an 8600K is going to be the same when B370/H370 boards come out, and the 8700 is going to require less cooling

hyperthreading is going to be more useful for anyone rather than a 700mhz single core advantage which is probably like 120 vs 130+fps in the average AAA game

current Ryzen is about 100fps in that equation.

Looks like your GPU pricing in canada is way more screwed up than in the US

Spoiler