Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trentonxx

1080p 75hz IPS monitor, why so rare?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys,

 

why are there so few IPS monitors at 75Hz with a standard resolution? I want to upgrade from my 5:4 monitor to a 16:9 but I don't want to come back to the 60Hz game because I feel the the 75fps vsync (I've got a GTX 1060) looks way better than 2k/4k at lower refresh rates IMO.
 

The only 2 good monitor I found out on PCpartpicker (Amazon italy) are either un-compatibile (the LG doesn't have the mouting plate, little to no adjustments from what I'm reading. and the NEC has people complaining it's not a gaming display with higher response time)

I've been playing COD and other fast paced FPS on my NEC 1880SX (1280x1024 5:4 33ms!) without noticeable problems so far so I don't think the difference between 1 or 5-6ms will be noticeable anyway. but I prefer the colors of the IPS.

 

Do you have any good model with such specs I can look into? or maybe you say I move to something "better" with more products like a 100-144hz? (that I doubt I will ever reach on any modern game so it will be a waste of money and power IMO...)  also "weird" resolutions like 1440p, 21:9 and so on aren't preferable since A LOT of AAA titles or smaller games doesn't support anything different that 1080 nowadays. and I've been struggling with playing borderless windows for years on a 5:4 aside from few good games that had better Video scalability

 

the budget is around 200-300€ as everything more than 300€ is 1440p or higher specs.

 

 

 

 

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people just go to 120/144hz and skip 75 all together.


Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Theguywhobea said:

Most people just go to 120/144hz and skip 75 all together.

but on 75 I can still choose 60vsync when I have a demanding game. on 120 I think i can only do 60-120 or things have changed?

if the price for a 100/120 is in the same range I could try that out I guess

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, mail929 said:

You could buy a 60hz monitor and try over-clocking it. 15hz isn't too much to ask out of a panel.

since I'm totally new on the Monitor-Overclocking boat, do you suggest any brand/models that have more "room" for the OC?  like without risking damages on the long run like overheating or idk what could go wrong, I've been using my monitors for almost 10 years flawlessy and it would be lame if my next monitor would fail after only 2years(of the EU warranty)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pity you don't like 2560x1080 21:9

Both my Ultrawide IPS panels from LG went to 75hz from 60hz. (29" & 25")


Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

... since A LOT of AAA titles or smaller games doesn't support anything different that 1080 nowadays...

 

Nearly all games do in my experience.

[Edit] For ultrawide resolutions maybe, but any "normal" resolution should be fine.

 

I don't think there are high refresh rate 1080p IPS screens around, you'll have to make do with TN. Just get a 120/144 Hz screen. At least on the desktop you'll notice :P and I can pick 60, 85, 100, 120 and 144 Hz so there are possibilities.


Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

but on 75 I can still choose 60vsync when I have a demanding game. on 120 I think i can only do 60-120 or things have changed?

if the price for a 100/120 is in the same range I could try that out I guess

Wait, so you want a 75hz monitor, so you can run it at 60Hz? There's no reason you couldnt vsync to 60hz on a 120 or 144hz panel.


Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Pity you don't like 2560x1080 21:9

Both my Ultrawide IPS panels from LG went to 75hz from 60hz. (29" & 25")

I have to check if they will fit on my desk with the other 2 monitors on the sides.. :$

also can I play on 16:9 with black bars on the side or I'm stuck at ultrawide? (I'm already picturing stretched HUD, unreadable text and weird FOV when they are stuck below 90... sigh)

 

feel free to reccomend a 21:9 model so I can add it in my comparision chart for the final pick btw :)

 

 

 

Just now, tikker said:

Nearly all games do in my experience.

 

I don't think there are high refresh rate 1080p IPS screens around, you'll have to make do with TN. Just get a 120/144 Hz screen. At least on the desktop you'll notice :P and I can pick 60, 85, 100, 120 and 144 Hz so there are possibilities.

My friend got a 144 TN and said it was very disappointed with how it felt and sent it back for a 60hz IPS, so I'm a bit uncertain about TNs.. :(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Wait, so you want a 75hz monitor, so you can run it at 60Hz? There's no reason you couldnt vsync to 60hz on a 120 or 144hz panel.

well no, I want to run at 75 when i reach 75fps steady, but on some titles I just set for a 60fps vsync if I see I can't make past 65fps average.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trentonxx said:

I have to check if they will fit on my desk with the other 2 monitors on the sides.. :$

also can I play on 16:9 with black bars on the side or I'm stuck at ultrawide? (I'm already picturing stretched HUD, unreadable text and weird FOV when they are stuck below 90... sigh)

 

feel free to reccomend a 21:9 model so I can add it in my comparision chart for the final pick btw :)

 

 

 

My friend got a 144 TN and said it was very disappointed with how it felt and sent it back for a 60hz IPS, so I'm a bit uncertain about TNs.. :(

 

The quality varies, my VG248QE looked pretty washed out indeed, but after tweaking the settings I am happy with it, even though it's probably not very color accurate.


Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to overclock my Samsung S24F350H (PLS = IPS) to 75Hz. It has a freesync range of 48-72Hz so it was basically just 2Hz overclock. My main monitor C24F390 (VA) is also 72Hz monitor but for some reason I can't overclock it at all. Even 73 Hz gives me no signal.


Intel Core i5 9600K 4.9Ghz / Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming / Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.B / 16GB DDR4 3400Mhz /  Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 / Samsung EVO 970 250GB  / 2 x Kingston A400 480GB / WD Blue 2TB / Corsair RM550x / Fractal Design Define Mini C / Windows 10 / 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

on Amazon it says the Asus VG248QE  supports G-Sync but I don't see it anywhere on the Asus website.. mhn..

this one looks good, 144Hz and fully adjustable base/pivot/height etc.. for 270€

 

I'll look if I find some more models around that price that might be better or offer something more.

 

EDIT: after looking around I think that for the 24" 1080p resolution is the best I can find for less than 300€ (sadly it doesn't have G-Sync :( )

I will see if I can find some 1440p for the same price, but I think 24 is the perfect size, too big and it starts to become a problem for reading, scaling and resolution I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trentonxx said:

on Amazon it says the Asus VG248QE  supports G-Sync but I don't see it anywhere on the Asus website.. mhn..

this one looks good, 144Hz and fully adjustable base/pivot/height etc.. for 270€

 

I'll look if I find some more models around that price that might be better or offer something more.

 

EDIT: after looking around I think that for the 24" 1080p resolution is the best I can find for less than 300€ (sadly it doesn't have G-Sync :( )

I will see if I can find some 1440p for the same price, but I think 24 is the perfect size, too big and it starts to become a problem for reading, scaling and resolution I think.

It doesn't have Gsync support. In my opinion 24" is the sweetspot for 1080p and 27" for 1440p (though I can probably manage with 24" 1440p).

I don't like large screens in general as it takes too much looking around.


Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, tikker said:

I don't like large screens in general as it takes too much looking around.

yep, my current desk is against a wall and it's pretty short, so I'm at about 60-70cm from the monitor, I don't want something more than a 24" to navigate since I already have 2 more screens for extra space.

G-sync seems to add 200€ on top of a normal monitor, too much for my taste.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tikker said:

though I can probably manage with 24" 1440p

That's what i'm using.

Dell U2414H as 1080p screen, and Acer XB241YU as 1440p screen (with 144 Hz and g-Sync).

Both are 23,8".

 

Windows recommends 125% scaling, so elements are just as big as with a full HD (dpi) Panel, however, i set it back to 100% to have more space. It works perfectly. My Eyes are around 60 cm away from the Monitor, works fine. 70cm would also be ok.

More than that.. might be too low.

 

 

However, those 23,8" 1440p, 144 Hz, G_Sync monitors, i can completely recommend, they are awesome, and the resolution is NOT too high for the screen size. Even better, this gives you a higher pixel density of 123ppi~ (instead 110~ with 27")

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, Darkseth said:

That's what i'm using.

Dell U2414H as 1080p screen, and Acer XB241YU as 1440p screen (with 144 Hz and g-Sync).

Both are 23,8".

 

Windows recommends 125% scaling, so elements are just as big as with a full HD (dpi) Panel, however, i set it back to 100% to have more space. It works perfectly. My Eyes are around 60 cm away from the Monitor, works fine. 70cm would also be ok.

More than that.. might be too low.

 

 

However, those 23,8" 1440p, 144 Hz, G_Sync monitors, i can completely recommend, they are awesome, and the resolution is NOT too high for the screen size. Even better, this gives you a higher pixel density of 123ppi~ (instead 110~ with 27")

ehhhh.. I'm not a big fan of scaling, it's not always perfect, expecially on windows.

 

I'm looking around to see how "good" or "bad" the AOC G2460PF compares against the Asus VG248QE by colors and contrast, as they seem good enough for 1080p and the price range.

anything above like 1440p and 16:10 seems to be over 350€ shit, I'm a bit disappointed when I see an US guide with a good price and then the EUR price is like 100€ more sigh


EDIT:

image.png.d2f77b30ef0e9bdf6fdf4db3c2ae9bd7.pngLol... nevermind

Edited by Trentonxx
added more info
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, thats why i don't use scaling at all (Both my Monitors run at 100% each). Naturaly, this way objects and windows hav e a different size when moving from 1 Monitor to the other.

 

But 125% scaling on my G-Sync monitor (Dell S2417dg, AND Acer XB241YU) looked perfectly fine, since it only changes the dpi. Nothing wrong with that, usually.

 

However, i would just not use a different Desktop resolution than the native one (like, 1080p resolution, when the Monitor has a native 1440p res)

 

Regarding the AOC G2460PF: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

Read the Review. I can't compare it to similar ones regarding color, sharpness, etc etc.

However, this Monitor has a VERY High minimum brightness. If you set the Monitor to 0% brightness, it still shines with 154 nits / cd/m².

For a comparison: Dell s2417dg has 34 nits at 0%, similar to my older Dell U2414H

 

This might be an issue for some, who don't want it too bright.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Yup, thats why i don't use scaling at all (Both my Monitors run at 100% each). Naturaly, this way objects and windows hav e a different size when moving from 1 Monitor to the other.

 

But 125% scaling on my G-Sync monitor (Dell S2417dg, AND Acer XB241YU) looked perfectly fine, since it only changes the dpi. Nothing wrong with that, usually.

 

However, i would just not use a different Desktop resolution than the native one (like, 1080p resolution, when the Monitor has a native 1440p res)

 

Regarding the AOC G2460PF: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

Read the Review. I can't compare it to similar ones regarding color, sharpness, etc etc.

However, this Monitor has a VERY High minimum brightness. If you set the Monitor to 0% brightness, it still shines with 154 nits / cd/m².

For a comparison: Dell s2417dg has 34 nits at 0%, similar to my older Dell U2414H

 

This might be an issue for some, who don't want it too bright.

wow, haven't seen this website before, I'll def look into it to see the other reccomendations,

should I buy a freesync display even if I have an Nvidia card? like is it a feature that add price or it's just "free" like the Display port?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, since for My eyes, i see a clear difference with G-Sync, i would 100% recommend saving up for a G-Sync monitor (and 2560x1440 Res).

But that's something you have to decide. Many people don't need g-Sync / Freesync anymore when using 144 Hz, because Tearing is so minimal. Others like me still see a big difference in smooth-ness, and don't want to go without it anymore.

 

If you don't want to pay the g-Sync price, get Freesync. It is NOT free, but it only costs like 1-3 bucks or something like that (a very minimal licensing fee or something like that~), so.. you can say, it comes for free.

Most modern 144 Hz monitors don't come without it anymore. Either they all have Freesync included, because why not.... or they included G-Sync.

 

And it's better to have Freesync than not, even with nvidia (you might buy AMD in the future, or just better resell value later on)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Well, since for My eyes, i see a clear difference with G-Sync, i would 100% recommend saving up for a G-Sync monitor (and 2560x1440 Res).

mhn.. I can afford a G-sync, I wasn't sure if I'd use that feature enough to justify the purchase.

 

Pros are: Less model to choose between, Higher resolution for when I work on stuff like Blender I can fit more stuff in the screen, and G-sync

 

Cons: Double the price, more heavy on the GPU for gaming (unless I play on 1080 stretched/fitted..) and also the added resolution will make me game under 80fps most of the time so I wouldn't benefit from the higher refresh rate :(


so I thought maybe I'll settle for a Good 1080p because it won't cause compatibily issues with games, less GPU heavy so it can push more FPS that I can enjoy with a 75v-sync (I personally think higher refresh rates are better than higher resolutions, at least for FPS games, even if I'm not a MLG PROx420x that needs 200fps in CSGO)

 

argh...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't ever reduce Resolution into an ugly scaling 1080p mud.

You ALWAYS leave the native resolution. If you need more fps, you reduce Settings.

native 1440p + High  >  scaling 1080p + Ultra.

 

But i understand this argument. I had the same. Should i get this 1440p monitor, or save 50 bucks with a 1080p g_Sync model, just for more fps? )i had a GTX 1060).

After all, i didn't regret going for 1440p. Those 30% less fps or something i simply countered with lower settings. But i enjoyed the additional sharpness much more.

 

When i set a game back to 1080p on my old 1080p Monitor, i instantly noticed how much it was flickering, how bad the aliasing was.

So for me: I would rather lose 30% fps, than the resolution. Especially when we have 2018 already ^^

 

Oh yea, my GTX 1060 managed easy 250+ fps in 1440p in CS:GO.

 

Also, don't forget: Eventually you will replace your GPU with a much stronger one. In 1 yea, in 3 years... 

This new Monitor can stay for the next 10 years. With your next GPU (or simply lower settings) you can game in higher Hz.

 

And of course: Don't forget, older / lighter Games will run in 120+ fps easy.

 

But still. I can understand your thoughts there. I would just recommend to try it out for yourself ;-) Like i said, after i saw 1440p with my own Eyes, i didn't want to go back anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not many listed on PCPP but I picked up two of these monitors for 160$ each on Amazon a couple monthes ago. Very good monitors for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072HGR5HB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×