Logitech G402 Review [OLD but still POPULAR why?]

Hiya!

Hi there my name is Etna.

I never done a mice review before and my english arent so good so forgive me if there's any grammatical mistakes which i probably already done when typing this sentence :P

Whats in the BOX?

Spoiler

The mouse and useless paper errr i mean a very useful user documentation and manual that tells u to plug the USB cable into your USB port on your PC/LAPTOP.

Pic of the BOX. (Sorry for bad quality image because the lightning is so bad in my room and i dont know what i am doing with the camera :P)

Front

Spoiler

DSC_0467.thumb.jpg.8e24a55cf709eff9a724370d143ff41d.jpg

Back

Spoiler

DSC_0471.thumb.jpg.f513cc051615be1a528876d79a927c75.jpg

Okay lets begin first off the mouse specification.

Spoiler

Sensor                 : AVAGO AM010 (Custom logitech sensor a.k.a DELTA ZERO) The G502 use DELTA G ZERO

Buttons                : Omron Switches (L/R) Rated for 20M Clicks

Feet                     : 250 km (155.3)

Weight                 : 144 grams (with cable) / 108 grams (without cable)
Cable Lenght        : 2.1 m (7 ft)

Height                 : 136 mm (5.4 in)
Width                  : 72 mm (2.8 in)
Depth                  : 41 mm (1.6 in)

Games Type         : FPS,MOBA,RTS Pretty much all games.

General Thoughts

Spoiler

This mouse was released in 2014 so what made this mouse still popular till now?

Well first is the build quality and ergonomic second its the use of AM010 sensor combined with Logitech Fusion Engine to fix the issues of tracking speed on the AM010 sensor.

Because this mouse is suppose to be a cheaper alternative to the famous G502 and i think Fusion engine is logitech own cheap solution to deal with the sensor issues.

So NO! its not G502 with less feature, I mean if u're referring to the shape and buttons then yes athough G402 is lighter,smaller and has inferior sensor.

Wow! Hold on now its actually not that bad please continue to read my review.

AM010 is a sensor made by AVAGO while its not their best sensor ever its still a good sensor although it had issues with tracking speed so if you whip the mouse at high speed it will spin out so what fusion engine does in a nutshell is to prevent the sensor from spinning out by filling the gap between data that got picked up by the sensor.

Now i did manage to spin it out but its very difficult because i have to hurt my arm to do it and i am sure no one move their mouse that fast while gaming.

So this sensor perform similar to PWM3330 but not close enough thats why its still popular till now and you wont find a better Mouse for $35 that has a solid build quality and ergonomic like G402.

Of course G402 is kinda reveal its budget orientation with the AM010 sensor but with Fusion engine you no longer have a problem with the sensor and u wont be able to tell the difference in games unless you are an elite competitive player. GOOD JOB LOGITECH!

Build Quality and Ergonomic

Spoiler

I got this mouse for $30 in 2015 that was 2 years ago and its worth the money.

The build quality is pretty solid although it has a little bit of rattle but i think its the scroll wheel not the sensor.

It has tiny thumb rest on the left side and rubberized grip on the right,The rest is pretty much plastic.

The scroll wheel is made out of rubber so it grip easily with your finger unlike the scroll wheel on the G502.

The buttons feels light,tactile (duh) and it has very satifying click although not as satifying as the G502 and it appears to be a good button because its been 2 year and i have no issues with it except the scroll button cause i have to press it hard in order to activate it.

The cable is non braided which i prefer that way so it doesnt brush over your mousepad and i have a good cat.

I abused this mouse a lot like smashing it with my hand when rage quiting or clumsily dropped it and whenever i want to bring this mouse with me i just throw it and tuck it inside my bag.

The mouse is still in a pretty good condition i mean there's scratches but other than that its still good as new (well not really new but u got the point)

Mouse PIC. (So i decided to take the mouse outside to get a better lightning)

Spoiler

FormatFactoryDSC_0354.thumb.jpg.6b6deca3417b0d09409335497c548539.jpg

Spoiler

FormatFactoryDSC_0355.thumb.jpg.56dbc385ecd6410e46a1fa6d4d0640b0.jpg

Now the ergonomic.

Hand Size Guide

These are not exact measurements, only use them as a rough guide:

Palm 16-17.5cm / 6.3-6.9″

Claw 16-20cm / 6.3-7.9″

Fingertip 18-20cm / 7.1-7.9″
(From rocketjumpninja)

My hand is 15-16cm (L) & 6.5cm (W) yes i have a very small hand and according to RJN HAND GUIDE my hand is too small for all grip style for that mouse but NO (rough guide get it?)

I use palm grip and it feels so comfortable.

My thumb and pinky rest perfectly on the mouse but my index and middle finger is a bit too far from the tip of the mouse,Its still fine though i still can perfectly click the L/R button just fine.

Features

Spoiler

This mouse has total of 5 Extra button that is 2 side button,2 dpi shift and 1 sniper button which can be modified as macro through Logitech gaming software.

The sniper button however is a bit too far so i have to move my thumb way forward in order to press it but i think logitech did it to avoid accidental pressing which i agreed but for me its still too far maybe because i have a small hand so its my problem not yours :P

The dpi shift is lifted and far enough so u didnt accidentally press it.

It doesnt have Infinite scroll wheel like on the G502/G900/G903.

And yes no glorious 16.7M RGB for you my dear friends :P you'll be stuck with blue but u can modify the lighting for breathing and static effect also the breathing speed and brightness.

Software

Spoiler

All logitech gaming peripherals all controlled with Logitech Gaming Software.

1.You can choose to switch between Mouse Onboard memory or Auto detection which uses your pc to store the data.Choosing On board memory will only give you a few option to set macros

Spoiler

1.jpg.0a6187769f227b765b295704ffd02cd6.jpg

Spoiler

6.jpg.e9616398bd2efb2e07470376f0bd98de.jpg

2.And choosing auto detection will gives you more option to set macro keys such as media,custom mouse profile and whatnot,It also enable you to use mouse acceleration if you are into that. (be careful i think its enabled by default so u might want to disable it if you hate acceleration)

Spoiler

7.jpg.4e69087f50237d3dab236b8bd78c9821.jpg

Spoiler

8.jpg.2b5ff89625d9f2f46f356d54c3710473.jpg

Spoiler

9.jpg.5bccc038942380bd7028e581818ef49d.jpg

3.Next option allow you to set the dpi,pooling rate and macros,You can set max 5 level of DPI

Spoiler

2.jpg.eef2268de68dc72169846810053f9df5.jpg

4.And the next allow you to control the lightning on the 402

Spoiler

3.jpg.9ce10f2c5f685dc62fd80054df1406d9.jpg

5.Next option is the Fusion engine test which i dont find it useful except if you want to brag to your friend that u can move your mouse at sick 100M/S and try not to burn your palm in the process.

Spoiler

4.jpg.3fb944a5814fa459100dfa310cfbebb6.jpg

6.And last is key press heat map which suppose to tell you which button u press the most

Spoiler

5.jpg.576e688f08f1222a3191830ffebe1e0c.jpg

Performance

Spoiler

Okay okay i have been using this mouse for over 2 year so i knew exactly how this mouse sensor perform.

The AM010 sensor while its OLD but its still pretty good for non competitive games/gamer.

The Lift off distance is 1DVD.

I have no accurate acceleration test method but i didnt notice any acceleration as logitech claimed that it has ZERO acceleration but based from what i read online people like pro gamer swore that they notice an acceleration.

The sensor also can get jittery sometimes when doing pixel by pixel test movement.

And it can spin out if u manage to move the mouse extremely fast like a lunatic,As i said i had to hurt my arm to spin out the sensor.

But with tilt and slam test u can easily make the sensor spin out,So if u often use that technique to aim in game then u should get a mice with PWM3360 sensor or above.

Pricing

Spoiler

When it first released i think this mouse cost like $69 at the time which i think still a bit overpriced.

Thankfuly the price has goes down.

Now u can find it for like $35 on Amazon which seems reasonable enough.

But u could find a mice with much better sensor within that price range well maybe add $10-$15 like nixeus revel which use PWM3360 (but u'll sacrifice button,build quality and ergonomic) and Logitech G pro or G502 which use PWM3366 because the price for those mice are also comes down.

So yeah If you are really on a tight budget and you are not a competitive elite player and u just want a good solid comfortable mouse.

If you happen to find a good deal for it like $30-$35 you wont regret getting the G402.

Score and Pros & Cons

Spoiler

Build Quality  (8.5/10)

Ergonomic     (9/10)

Features       (7/10)

Performance (7.5/10)

Value             (7.5/10)

Pros :

-Great build quality and ergonomic

-Lot of buttons (enough for me)

-Decent sensor

-Fusion engine

Cons :

-Scroll wheel rattle

-No RGB

-No infinite scroll wheel but its not a big deal

-The cable is not braided which i prefer but people seems love braided cable

-The sensor could be better (but i understand because its an OLD mice after all)

-Price should be lower (like $30) Because with $10-$15 more you can get a mouse with much better sensor or feature.

Closing thoughts

Spoiler

So there u have it.

I think logitech should update this mouse because i love the shape and it has enough buttons for me.

A better sensor like PWM3310 or maybe PWM3360 and yes RGB because why not ^_^

Although it would be great if they can make this mouse a bit more lighter preferably under 100Grams or just add a customizable weight and infinite scroll wheel?

Naaahh i asked too much, It would be impossible since Logitech already has G502 for that.

So yeah a better sensor and RGB would do with $10 price premium like $40-$45 that would make this a mouse a top recommendation it will compete againts rival 300/310,G403,Zowie ECA/B series,Roccat kone pure/emp,Deathadder,G Pro,and Corsair M65 Pro and alternative to G502 because when people asked what mice that is similar to G502 but with less feature and smaller? well its G402 but it has inferior sensor and they would prefer to buy another mice because of the sensor and the pricing

If you like the mouse but you want it to be wireless and have more button u could buy the G602.

I think thats pretty much it if there's anything i missed let me know and i will update the thread.

I hope u enjoy this review and thank you for reading :x

GLOSSARY

Spoiler

Spin out : Its when Mouse sensor loses track on what you are pointing,This usually happens if you swipe the mouse sideways while coming down at an awkward angle, AKA, a Tilt Slam or when moving your mouse extremely fast, This causes the cursor to go up or down when you're trying to move left or right, or vice versa

(As i said if you use Tilt Slam technique get a mice with PWM3360 or above)

Jitter : Its when mouse sensor having trouble to track a very slow movement (pixel by pixel). A perfect example is when you try to draw a straight line but your mice cursor just going up and down and fail you.

This is annoying if you're trying to use SNIPER and aim in game.

A mice with PWM3360 sensor or above will often had an option to enable so called mouse prediction so what it does is to help user draw straight line.

But i dont recommend enabling it in game because it can mess with your aim.
What i am trying to say is that a good sensor will be able to pickup a very slow movement without being too jittery or skippy.

Acceleration : I am sure u already know this but i'll explain it anyway. A mouse acceleration is when cursor distance increases if the mouse is moved quickly. So if you move the mouse from A to B very quickly the cursor will stop at C.

Some mice acceleration can be disabled through windows but there are mice that the acceleration cannot be turned off even if you already did through windows.

PWM Sensor : Sensor like PWM3310 and 3360 are manufactured by PIXART. To make it easy for you to understand without being to confused about the technical terms i am just going to explain the sensor differences between the two.

A PWM3310 is a budget oriented sensor,It has acceleration but unlike laser sensor such as AVAGO 9500/9800 which is very inconsistent the acceleration on the PWM3310 is very consistent and it is very small, You wont notice it in game or any mice test except u have all the right equiptment to test it in other word dont bother.

And it can spin out if you did tilt and slam test but unlike AM010 the PWM3310 sensor is very accurate and wont jitter if u do pixel by pixel test.

PWM3360 is the best optical sensor ever made, It often rebranded and customized by certain brand like logitech,roccat and steelseries with their PWM3366 called DELTA G SENSOR,PWM3361 and TrueMove3.

It has ZERO acceleration and had no problem with TILT SLAM test.

Now of course Pixart made a lot of Mice sensor but those 2 are the most popular.

Also check out my guide on the peripherals section :D

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Great job on the review, a lot better than some others that I have read.  Keep up the good work.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Great job on the review, a lot better than some others that I have read.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks!! I am glad you enjoy it xD

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

11 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Good mouse, especially for the price.

Why am I the first one here?

Edit: guess not.  :P

Hi thanks for coming by xD 

6 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Nice, very thorough :D

Welp i slept at 2am last night writing this review so yeah haha

Idk why but my brain work better after midnight.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Welp i slept at 2am writing this review so yeahahahahah

Lol Yeah, we're 11 hours apart.  I saw the 2am update on my way to work 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Mice are mice, they tend not to break and tend to be good enough.

Some of it is also that companies often make new products that are worse than the new ones. Either for aesthetic or functional reasons. 

Simply put, "they don't make 'em like they used to"

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

It's old, but it's still popular because it works. A $1 thrift store mouse will do the same as a $500 "gaming mouse" in many cases so why change?

Just becasue something is old doesn't make it useless. Cars went mainstream sometime in the early 19th century. Are we just gonna stop using cars because they're old?

That depends on the cases.

If that means only moving the cursor then yes $1 mice will do.

But Can it do sick 360 no scope and doesnt fail you? can it gives u 16.7M RGB color? Can it be used for hours and still feels comfortable?

Why change?

Because people demand more.

Comptetitive player for example want more superior sensor,lighter button,better ergonomic and whatnot.

While PC gamer want better aesthetic,ergonomic,etc

Thats why like cars mice is also evolving.

Because people demand more.

Better look,More speed,more horse power,more feature,etc

Why do u think theres a car that cost $4.000.000?  when u can use a car from the 19s.

Exactly!

Just because its old we should stop using it? whaat? No..

Its just this is the only Logitech mice from the past 3 years that is still popular till now despite its inferior sensor.

I've seen a lot of logitech mice that is been forgotten like G400s,MX518,G3,G5,G602,G500s,G700s,G90,etc

Because they are pricey and the sensor perform worse than a mice that cost half of the price.

Making it obsolete.

If u still using a ball mouse for example or $1 random mice from thrift store then by all means continue doing it because that is all you need.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

12 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

But Can it do sick 360 no scope and doesnt fail you? can it gives u 16.7M RGB color? Can it be used for hours and still feels comfortable?

Like you said, it depends on the case. I for example only care about all but one of those things and its the comfort factor. 

That being said I rock one of these when I need a mouse for my MacBook Pro: 

IMG_3969.thumb.JPG.722caa95068dbb972e6f6a3a93d053c6.JPG

(get off my back it was a carry over from our old iMac and it's actually wireless)

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Like you said, it depends on the case. I for example only care about all but one of those things and its the comfort factor. 

That being said I rock one of these when I need a mouse for my MacBook Pro: 

IMG_3969.thumb.JPG.722caa95068dbb972e6f6a3a93d053c6.JPG

(get off my back it was a carry over from our old iMac and it's actually wireless)

*nod nod

Of course but there are a large number of people and they are often very different from each other.

Its all about their preferences and their use cases.

People demand more and companies will give what they want in exchange for money.

You cant just state your own opinion and convince people to believe that is what you really need.

Because people has their own needs.

ahaha its that apple magic mouse?

Its ergonomicly bad its like its made for penguin lel

and you cant charge it while using it right? because the charging port is below the mouse.

Thankfuly it only needs like 10-15 minutes to charge it.

But it work for what it is.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

ahaha its that apple magic mouse?

Its ergonomicly bad its like its made for penguin lel

and you cant charge it while using it right? because the charging port is below the mouse.

Thankfuly it only needs like 10-15 minutes to charge it.

Its actually the first Magic Mouse meaning it runs off double A batteries. 

Ergonomically its not that bad with my grip type but its defiantly not as great as my G302

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Its actually the first Magic Mouse meaning it runs off double A batteries. 

Ergonomically its not that bad with my grip type but its defiantly not as great as my G302

That thing use AA? it must be heavy.

Yes they should add a hump in the back for your palm to rest not just a flat shape like that.

And guess what? apple magic mouse 2 is released a years ago and its still the same mice all over again only with built in battery and maybe more touch features.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

That thing use AA? it must be heavy.

It is, but its lighter than my phone and this isn't a mouse that should be moving at high speeds or be lifted up. Not in its native OS. 

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

and maybe more touch features.

Nah, same features, just an integrated battery and it weighs less. 

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It is, but its lighter than my phone and this isn't a mouse that should be moving at high speeds or be lifted up. Not in its native OS.

Agreed, i mean itu uses laser sensor

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Nah, same features, just an integrated battery and it weighs less. 

Waaaaa?? that is why i dislike apple products.

i meant no offense. but cmon.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

i mean itu uses laser sensor

No it has an optical sensor. Laser sucks ass lol 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No it has an optical sensor. Laser sucks ass lol 

So that particular mice use Optical? because i heard that magic mouse 1 and 2 use laser so they can track at any surfaces.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

So that particular mice use Optical? because i heard that magic mouse 1 and 2 use laser so they can track at any surfaces.

No, Magic Mouse has always used optical. 

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, Magic Mouse has always used optical. 

Welp thats too bad.

Because laser sensor would do much better i mean that mouse arent suppose to use for gaming or anything that require that mouse to be move fast.

Laser sensor is more than enough like the MX MASTER.

With laser it can track any surface to top it off its wireless.

Its a perfect combination, what was apple thinking.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

8 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Welp thats too bad.

Because laser sensor would do much better i mean that mouse arent suppose to use for gaming or anything that require that mouse to be move fast.

Laser sensor is more than enough like the MX MASTER.

With laser it can track any surface to top it off its wireless.

Its a perfect combination, what was apple thinking.

I've always heard that optical is better. Laser mice in my experience can't track on surfaces like glass and optical works on everything. 

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I've always heard that optical is better. Laser mice in my experience can't track on surfaces like glass and optical works on everything. 

Optical is better because its more accurate.

Laser can track on any surface like glass or white surface whereas optical cant.

But laser arent accurate and actually having troubled tracking your mousepad.

Laser sensor always having trouble with acceleration making it inaccurate.

Laser sensor on the other hand can achieve more DPI than Optical which is okay but having 12k dpi is just not practical in real world scenarios.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

7 hours ago, Hiya! said:

Optical is better because its more accurate.

Laser can track on any surface like glass or white surface whereas optical cant.

But laser arent accurate and actually having troubled tracking your mousepad.

Laser sensor always having trouble with acceleration making it inaccurate.

Laser sensor on the other hand can achieve more DPI than Optical which is okay but having 12k dpi is just not practical in real world scenarios.

Meh, all my mice are optical and I love em and I don’t play fast paced games with them. 

14 hours ago, Hiya! said:

I've seen a lot of logitech mice that is been forgotten like G400s,MX518,G3,G5,G602,G500s,G700s,G90,etc

G700s is bae.

UPDATED : GLOSSARY HAS BEEN ADDED

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! You did a good job of covering what potential buyers need to know.

Good to hear it is smaller than the 502. The 502 was a little too big for me (too long, hard to get my fingers to reach the left and right buttons with my claw grip).