What to expect in CES 2018

mankeez

2018 year of the botnets 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

IoT scares me so much. There ways of hacking it. So many devices that are so vulnerable. Thank god I did my dissertation on IoT security and challenges. People need to realise your data can be easily obtained.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

6 hours ago, mvitkun said:

I'm hopeful that we'll see stuff like Kaby Lake G and the 2700u, oh and probably some interesting monitors.

The R7 2700, 2700X and 2800X would be more exciting I'd say. And yeah, the Kaby Lake G would be pretty sweet to finally get some proper numbers on (subtract 30% for non-gaming tasks lel)

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I just want to see better and cheaper motherboards for Ryzen, as well as new and exciting PC cases.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

30 minutes ago, mvitkun said:

You mean Zen+ or w/e?

Yep. It's supposed to launch in Q1 with expected IPC gains.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yep. It's supposed to launch in Q1 with expected IPC gains.

no ipc gains, but clock speed increases (10%), maybe (not confirmed at all ) a better imc

Regarding smart cities, does this mean that you would need to be connected to the 4/5 g the entire time and that everything would require its own application (yayy, just few dozen applications for each part of the city).

Isn't the entire concept of IoT silly?Why would home appliances need to be connected to the internet (doesn't some cryptocurrency depend heavily on IoT devices?)?

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

IoT has business applications, and quite a good number of them.

Like?

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

CES isn't meant for consumers.

Do you know what CES means?Consumer Electronics Show maybe?9_9

Let's just smart fucking everything, I would charging my hoodie every day.

I just want for someone to announce the mainstream replacement for Lithium Ion batteries like Graphene nanotechnology batteries. Modern Lithium Ion batteries are great but just like AHCI that was succeeded by NVME, it needs a refresh that’s better and safer. Even for just a graphene battery bank that can store 2000 mAh on a smaller form factor would be very nice. 

But then this is just me wishful thinking. 5G is exciting but I doubt I’d see that rolled out to us when our crony duopolist wireless carriers still can’t be bothered to roll out 20x20 MHz LTE-Advanced which is the true 4G. ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

More variations of good HDR gaming monitors and hopefully not all ultra wide and curved. 

As far as strong year for PC gaming, hopefully components will have good prices. But I guess that will take some time so we'll see. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1. HDR monitors galore
  2. Z-nand SSD's?
  3. Finally new DDR modules at lower prices
  4. Finally new SSD's at lower prices (nvme)
  5. More OLED stuff, including monitors (though pointless)
  6. µLED panels from Samsung

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I’m hoping for more Ruben Mobile PCs to be announced. It completely destroys iGPUs on Intel’s side.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

5 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

2018 year of the smart botnets 

FTFY

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

12 hours ago, divito said:

VR/AR has always been over-hyped for what it offers. It's been on the precipice for years and it's gotten no traction at a reasonable level. 

One of the huge problems VR has, is that for most games/experiences, racing and flight sims aside, is it needs a lot of free space to use properly. Most people living in a densely populated country and/or city aren't going to have the space to utilize it, and if they wish to acquire the space the cost will dwarf the cost of the hardware.

5 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Regarding smart cities, does this mean that you would need to be connected to the 4/5 g the entire time and that everything would require its own application (yayy, just few dozen applications for each part of the city).

Isn't the entire concept of IoT silly?Why would home appliances need to be connected to the internet (doesn't some cryptocurrency depend heavily on IoT devices?)?

Like?

Do you know what CES means?Consumer Electronics Show maybe?9_9

Yeah, that's what it stands for. Do you know what it is?

It's a forum for those who have ideas and imerging tech, hoping that it'll be bought by a larger company. Or, the larger companies can showcase future technology to others. It's for business, not consumer. It was only in the last few years the general public even started attending.

An electronic device that's marketed to Joe Blow is called a consumer electronic. Hence Consumer Electronics Show. ;)

CES is the world's gathering place for all those who thrive on the business of consumer technologies. It has served as the proving ground for innovators and breakthrough technologies for 50 years — the global stage where next-generation innovations are introduced to the marketplace. Owned and produced by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), it attracts the world's business leaders and pioneering thinkers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, that's what it stands for. Do you know what it is?

It's a forum for those who have ideas and imerging tech, hoping that it'll be bought by a larger company. Or, the larger companies can showcase future technology to others. It's for business, not consumer. It was only in the last few years the general public even started attending.

An electronic device that's marketed to Joe Blow is called a consumer electronic. Hence Consumer Electronics Show. ;)

I'm not even surprised, CES isn't for consumers even though C stands for Consumer, what a beautiful world we live in...xD

All new Acer Nitro 5 with AMD Ryzen and Radeon RX560 graphics. Up 512GB SSD and 32GB of ram. Entry model starts at $800. Available in April 2018

https://www.slashgear.com/acer-nitro-5-gaming-laptop-revealed-plus-predator-orion-9000-us-price-06513803/

Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-42_03-980x620.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 04/01/2018 at 5:29 AM, Nicholatian said:

So we have:

1. Internet of Things
  2. More Internet of Things
  3. Even more Internet of Things
  4. Anticipation of a wireless technology leap for 5G (didn't we already get our hopes up once before?)
  5. Virtual Reality dragging along
  6. Iterative improvements for PC gaming
  7. An icing of more Internet of Things

Anyone else find this list of things to be somewhat disappointing? IoT seems to be getting a boatload of attention, and I'm scratching my head as to why the industry thinks that's warranted. Even AR/VR seem to be more interesting for the common consumer than smart fridges and whatnot.

Its just a shame none of the IoT companies seem to have anybody in the least bit competent working in the security departments.

Given how bad IoT devices in the home are in security terms seeing this emphasis on public IoT devices is more than a little concerning.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)