Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mankeez

What to expect in CES 2018

42 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yes, many did, but this is one of those technology things that has been in the pipeline for more than 5 years now and needs both a little more time to implement and better understanding.   

I already get up to 1Gbps on 4G, I don’t think 5G is really a necessity tbh.

7 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

I already get up to 1Gbps on 4G, I don’t think 5G is really a necessity tbh.

It's not just speed, although 1Gb/s is currently rare on 4g (area wise) the advantage to the newer (and changing) specs of 5g is that it can handle more users with lower latency and current tests have speeds upto 6.4Gb/s.   More users is important as more devices are becoming part of the IoT and they are becoming more mobile.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

1 hour ago, mankeez said:

CES 2019: Smart doorknob which adjusts it's temperature so when you touch it it's a t the perfect temperature

CES 2020: Smart air which doesn't wait for you to breathe it, it comes in to your nose automatically.

CES 202SMART/ Smart Smart. Smart smart smart smart, smart smart smart. Smar smart!

IoT has business applications, and quite a good number of them. It's a bit more useful than 3D printing, but minus terrible OpSec violations, it's pretty worthless in-home tech.

But the real problem IoT in the home has comes down to the reality that it's nothing "new". It's minor control/UI/modification implementations for existing appliances. The improvements are incredibly minor, cost a lot, make your home horribly compromised to outside attackers with computer skills and is likely to cause you far more problems than it solves.

It also needs to be noted that they've been talking about the "Wired" home since at least the 90s, and it still doesn't really improve much of anything. The more important improvements have come from the building materials side of things.

Haha, that smart garbage can example is...pointless. The list looks rather lackluster, but that's not surprising. CES isn't meant for consumers. Not sure what The Verge is on about either. What the hell do they mean by graphics enclosures improving low level systems? You don't build one and buy an enclosure. 

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2018 year of the botnets 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

IoT scares me so much. There ways of hacking it. So many devices that are so vulnerable. Thank god I did my dissertation on IoT security and challenges. People need to realise your data can be easily obtained.

CPU: i5 4690 |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 20" Dell  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear:  Dell OptiPlex 390 Domain Controller | Dell PowerEdge R210 II Exchange 2016 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

6 hours ago, mvitkun said:

I'm hopeful that we'll see stuff like Kaby Lake G and the 2700u, oh and probably some interesting monitors.

The R7 2700, 2700X and 2800X would be more exciting I'd say. And yeah, the Kaby Lake G would be pretty sweet to finally get some proper numbers on (subtract 30% for non-gaming tasks lel)

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X MSI B450M Mortar Max 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3266 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 W10 Pro 1903

I just want to see better and cheaper motherboards for Ryzen, as well as new and exciting PC cases.

30 minutes ago, mvitkun said:

You mean Zen+ or w/e?

Yep. It's supposed to launch in Q1 with expected IPC gains.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X MSI B450M Mortar Max 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3266 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 W10 Pro 1903

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yep. It's supposed to launch in Q1 with expected IPC gains.

no ipc gains, but clock speed increases (10%), maybe (not confirmed at all ) a better imc

Regarding smart cities, does this mean that you would need to be connected to the 4/5 g the entire time and that everything would require its own application (yayy, just few dozen applications for each part of the city).

Isn't the entire concept of IoT silly?Why would home appliances need to be connected to the internet (doesn't some cryptocurrency depend heavily on IoT devices?)?

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

IoT has business applications, and quite a good number of them.

Like?

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

CES isn't meant for consumers.

Do you know what CES means?Consumer Electronics Show maybe?9_9

I just want for someone to announce the mainstream replacement for Lithium Ion batteries like Graphene nanotechnology batteries. Modern Lithium Ion batteries are great but just like AHCI that was succeeded by NVME, it needs a refresh that’s better and safer. Even for just a graphene battery bank that can store 2000 mAh on a smaller form factor would be very nice. 

But then this is just me wishful thinking. 5G is exciting but I doubt I’d see that rolled out to us when our crony duopolist wireless carriers still can’t be bothered to roll out 20x20 MHz LTE-Advanced which is the true 4G. ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

30 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Regarding smart cities, does this mean that you would need to be connected to the 4/5 g the entire time and that everything would require its own application (yayy, just few dozen applications for each part of the city).

Isn't the entire concept of IoT silly?Why would home appliances need to be connected to the internet (doesn't some cryptocurrency depend heavily on IoT devices?)?

It is, to most of the people in the first world and by extension the human race. But when you've spent your life insulated in a wealthy California-borne bubble of trendy liberal luxury and are fast-tracked into entrepreneurship by friends and family, you inadvertently lose a lot of interest in the rest of the world and become disconnected from it all.

Most of silicon valley doesn't care about everyone else, even domestically. The average consumer is in the same boat as the Nigerian commoner for all they care, serving as mind fodder for their generalised and ignorant caricatured set of convictions about the world. In a few words, they're drunk on wealth. The Internet of Things is a positive outcome of that.

The one and only CPU Buyer’s Guide??owl??The LGBT CommunityPower user of Arch Linux

〜 Some day, we’ll all be free 〜 Some day, we’ll live as one family in sweet harmony 〜

【㆒ACTIVE】HETEPSENUSRET

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (CPUMark ~16,018)  RAM: 4× 16GiB G.Skill Trident Z DIMMs, CL16 @ 3200MHz  Motherboard: AORUS X399 Extreme GPU: XFX RX 580 + Zotac GeForce 1050 Ti + XFX RX 560 4GB Storage: 2× 1TB Plextor M8Pe PCIe NVMe SSDs + 4× 6TB Seagate IronWolf Pro HDDs  PSU: SeaSonic PRIME 1000W 80+ Titanium modular ATX unit ∫ OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64, Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB, & BunsenLabs Helium (Debian derivative)

【RETIRED】HENEN–NESW

CPU: Intel Core i3–6100 (CPUMark ~5,474)  RAM: 1× 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMMs, CL12 @ 2400MHz  Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming mainboard  Storage: Intel 535 Series 240GB SATA III SSD  PSU: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Platinum fanless modular ATX unit  Display: 27” 1440p 16:9 ASUS PB278Q IPS LCD + 43” 2160p 16:9 LG 43UD79-B IPS LCD  Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce 68-key backlit keyboard + Cherry MX Brown switches Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Classic OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64 + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒ACTIVE】AMENEMHET (Lenovo ThinkPad X240)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4300U (CPUMark ~3,741) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 256GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in TN LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒BROKEN】SENUSRET II (Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300U (CPUMark ~5,132) RAM: 16GiB soldered DDR4 RAM Storage: Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD Display: 14” 1440p 16:9 built-in OLED multitouch LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【RETIRED】SENUSRET (Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U (CPUMark ~3,267) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 128GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in IPS multitouch LCD OS: RemixOS (Android for PC), version 3.0.207

【RETIRED】TYRE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (CPUMark ~2,826)  Motherboard: Gateway/Acer OEM, µATX-compatible proprietary forme factor RAM: 4× 2GiB Green-PCB Generic DDR2 DIMMs  Storage: 500GB WD Green replacement HDD OS: Microsoft Windows Vista SP2

【RETIRED】WASET (Sony VAIO)

CPU: Intel Core i5–2450M (CPUMark ~3,404)  RAM: 2× 4GiB Green-PCB Samsung DDR3 SODIMMs  Storage: Intel 520 Series “Cherryville” 120GB SSD + WD Black 2.5” 750GB HDD  Display: 14” 768p 16:9 built-in TN LCD  OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

More variations of good HDR gaming monitors and hopefully not all ultra wide and curved. 

As far as strong year for PC gaming, hopefully components will have good prices. But I guess that will take some time so we'll see. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

1. HDR monitors galore
  2. Z-nand SSD's?
  3. Finally new DDR modules at lower prices
  4. Finally new SSD's at lower prices (nvme)
  5. More OLED stuff, including monitors (though pointless)
  6. µLED panels from Samsung

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Pc gaming is growing? But what about all the umpteenth articles that pc was dead

Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

I’m hoping for more Ruben Mobile PCs to be announced. It completely destroys iGPUs on Intel’s side.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

5 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

2018 year of the smart botnets 

FTFY

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

12 hours ago, divito said:

VR/AR has always been over-hyped for what it offers. It's been on the precipice for years and it's gotten no traction at a reasonable level. 

One of the huge problems VR has, is that for most games/experiences, racing and flight sims aside, is it needs a lot of free space to use properly. Most people living in a densely populated country and/or city aren't going to have the space to utilize it, and if they wish to acquire the space the cost will dwarf the cost of the hardware.

5 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Like?

Do you know what CES means?Consumer Electronics Show maybe?9_9

Yeah, that's what it stands for. Do you know what it is?

It's a forum for those who have ideas and imerging tech, hoping that it'll be bought by a larger company. Or, the larger companies can showcase future technology to others. It's for business, not consumer. It was only in the last few years the general public even started attending.

An electronic device that's marketed to Joe Blow is called a consumer electronic. Hence Consumer Electronics Show. ;)

CES is the world's gathering place for all those who thrive on the business of consumer technologies. It has served as the proving ground for innovators and breakthrough technologies for 50 years — the global stage where next-generation innovations are introduced to the marketplace. Owned and produced by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), it attracts the world's business leaders and pioneering thinkers.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, that's what it stands for. Do you know what it is?

It's a forum for those who have ideas and imerging tech, hoping that it'll be bought by a larger company. Or, the larger companies can showcase future technology to others. It's for business, not consumer. It was only in the last few years the general public even started attending.

An electronic device that's marketed to Joe Blow is called a consumer electronic. Hence Consumer Electronics Show. ;)

I'm not even surprised, CES isn't for consumers even though C stands for Consumer, what a beautiful world we live in...xD